Anybody paying for GM Onstar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I called to cancel my Onstar subscription. I had been paying $18.95 per month. They asked why I wanted to cancel, I told them it was to expensive, and not a good value. They immediately offered it to me for $12.95 a month for one year "because they understood about the bad economy". I declined and cancelled. But I am pretty sure anybody who calls would get the same discount if you wanted to keep your onstar.

I never got onstar or the satellite radios. subscription fees are a total turn off.

Last edited:
Other than the automatic notification of authorities during a crash + GPS tracking, its not that great IMHO.

AAA is a better deal (+ the membership perks) and is cheaper. Plus, you can use your AAA membership with any vehicle.

If I could get a version of OnStar that only offered emergency services (i.e. in the event of an accident), I'd say $5/mo for it would be a good deal. Otherwise, what they're asking for even a basic membership is a bit expensive.

I didn't even bother going beyond the 1 yr. free service. They wanted $32 per, and there wasn't even a thought about it. That's what auto clubs and cell phones are for.

I let the Onstar expire on my truck but kept it for my CTS because I like the handsfree calling. But, since the car has Bluetooth in it I can use my personal cell phone thru the car and use it handsfree so next year I won't renew it. Also, since I have the factory nav, I have no use for the Onstart directions help. Next step is letting XM expire. It has been getting worse for years. I renewed it for the CTS only because I like the live traffic and weather that pops up on my NAV screen. But I think I can do w/o that for the money spent on the [censored] music offerings. I use my IPOD 90% anyway because it plugs into the car's USB port.

I thought about renewing mine for the crash notification, but I rarely ever drive in remote locations. I figure if I have a crash and I reach my phone, someone would be right there to call. I like the hands free phone, though, so still undecided. Thanks for letting us know about the discount. That may be what makes my final decision.

I TRIED to get it activated in my 9-5, but my car had the analog setup and GM wouldn't make a conversion kit for such a low volume car.

Depends whose car you're driving.
grin2.gif

Sure, I have the whole OnStar package of safety, cell, nav, etc., enabled on the G8 and Solstice.

All of it works great. It's one of the features that make the late model GM cars so nice.

What's the point of having the OnStar equipment, and then not using it? I can't see any economy in that.

It's a couple of hundred bucks annually for the whole smack, plus whatever minutes you choose to buy; less than 2/3 of 1% of the cost of a car.

Originally Posted By: Win
What's the point of having the OnStar equipment, and then not using it? I can't see any economy in that.

Can you get one with the OnStar equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back