Anybody have a 4-stroke weedeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious about the new 4-stroke weedeaters, and was wondering if any of you are using one. If so, how do you like it? Have you had any problems with it? Does it run OK when tilted? How heavy is it? Is it as powerful as a typical 2-stroke model?

SBC,

I have a Troy-bilt 4 stroke from Lowe's. I really like it. It is very quiet, starts easy, has plenty of power, and I don't have to keep a separate mix of gas for it. I also have the edger attachment for it and it is great. As for weight, I'm not sure as this is my first gas powered trimmer.

I bought a Honda UMK-422 4 cycle trimmer last year to replace my malfunctioning Stihl. Haven't had any issues to date. It is a heavier machine though but comes with a shoulder harness. It starts every time and runs very quiet and will run upside down if you like, and it only requires about 4 oz. of engine oil. I think my particular model has been replaced with one offering a lighter more powerful engine.

The Honda is the only way to go! Either the HHT-25 or the HHT-31.

The Troybuilt is made by Ryobi, and you cant runit upside down! Even being run sideways will harm this engine. I have only seen one come into my shop that was not run low on oil and would still run!

I do not have this problem with the Honda units. Very powerful, well built, lifetime shaft warranty, and quiet!

I used one at work one time and the dang thing spun backwards and slung junk up in my eyes. Other than that I liked it just fine,

I've got a Ryobi 4-stroke weedwacker. Had it for about two years now, no problems. I really like the 4-stroke because I don't have to breath the oil smoke while operating it and I don't smell like 2-stroke oil after using it.

quote:

Originally posted by Rick in PA:
I really like the 4-stroke because I don't have to breath the oil smoke while operating it and I don't smell like 2-stroke oil after using it.

A new two-stroke trimmer running Mobil 1 MX2T burns amazingly clean...

I used a Honda 4 stroke and an older Ryobi. Both were very heavy by comparison to my 2 Echo units. This is expecially noticable when working large rough properties. I did like the low end torque, but found the high RPM vibration more severe than the Echo units. Also, they were both very quiet at idle, but the full RPM was as loud as the Echos.

Chris

Run a redmax stato charged, emmisions compliant two cycle and you will never utter the words four stroke again. The Honda and ryobi units are a joke.

For the umpteenth time. modern two cycles should not smoke. None of mine do and I run them at 32:1 or better.

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
A new two-stroke trimmer running Mobil 1 MX2T burns amazingly clean...

Exactly. I consider small 4 cycle engines to be overcomplicated, low powered, and too heavy. IOW, an answer to a question I've never asked...

If you say the 4-stroke Honda is a joke or too complicated then you have never worked on one or used it compared to others!

I have a Husky 32cc trimmer, its 1lb ligher than the Honda!

If you complain about it throwing stuff at you then you trim the wrong direction!

Like I said, IF you buy a 4-stroke unit ONLY look at the Honda! 2-cycles are nice and should not smoke! Mine doesnt!

But people will grab the wrong gas can!!! Image you being sick and your wife thinking she will do something nice for you, she grabs the wrong can and trims for you! Your 2-cycle is dead!!

I put a lot (too many) hours on a Ryobi 4 stroke & other than the weight I like it. It's 5 years old with between 200-250 hours on it. IMHO, you can't beat the low end tourque of a 4 cycle.

I, too, have a Troy-Bilt 4 stroke string trimmer that I bought from Lowes in 6/03. No problems with the engine, but overall I don't like the unit. It's too heavy and the shaft is too short for me. I just bought an Echo SRM-210 to get a longer shaft and a slightly lighter unit. I personally think the Echo 2-stroke is quieter than the 4-stroke Troy-Bilt.

I used to have a Ryobi 2 stroke that lasted several years but was getting hard to find parts for it. So I bought the 4 stroke Troy Bilt from Lowe's becuse I really wanted to try a 4 stroke and my old Ryobi attachments still worked on the Troy Bilt. Comparing the two, I'd give anything to have my old 2 stroke back. The $ stroke runs fine I guess but doesn't seem to have the smoothness or power of the 2 stroke unless run wide open. I really havn't noticed any advantage in torque either, which is surprising because that is one of the things that convinced me to buy the 4 stroke. Oh well, I'm hoping the thing runs low on oil and burns itself up so I can go buy another 2 stroke.

quote:

Originally posted by NThomas:
If you say the 4-stroke Honda is a joke or too complicated then you have never worked on one or used it compared to others!

I have a Husky 32cc trimmer, its 1lb ligher than the Honda!

If you complain about it throwing stuff at you then you trim the wrong direction!

Like I said, IF you buy a 4-stroke unit ONLY look at the Honda! 2-cycles are nice and should not smoke! Mine doesnt!

But people will grab the wrong gas can!!! Image you being sick and your wife thinking she will do something nice for you, she grabs the wrong can and trims for you! Your 2-cycle is dead!!

I've used and maintained a lot of Honda engines over the years and I agree they are very high quality 4 cycle engines. I just don't find the added weight or complication of a 4 cycle to be an advantage in small power equipment.

No wife around here to put unmixed fuel into my 2 cycles...
cheers.gif

Correct!

I always tell people to buy what feels good!

Like I said DO NOT BUY A TRIMMER AT A BOX STORE!
The only good one is the Echo (at Home Depot) and the Husky (at Lowes).

BUT support your local dealer! Prices should be the same and you will get better service after!

Ryobi, Homelite, Weedeater, Toro, Troybuilt trimmers are not good! You will have better power out of a smaller engine on a Good brand trimmer!

10 years or less is not good for a trimmer to last. Mine is 6 years old, my dads of the same brand is 16 years old.

Get a good trimmer, You wont regret it! I guarantee it!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, weight is a big issue. I'm looking at hedge trimmers (gas powered) and wow! what a difference in models. As far as weed wackers, go 2-stroke (very light) and try some of the Amsoil 2-cycle oil with *no* smoke.

Remember, at the end of a day, and your arms quiver from fatigue, lighter the better.
smile.gif

This may be a bit off topic but here goes. I just changed the oil in my 4stroke Toro trimmer. The manual calls for SAE 30 API SF, SG, or SH. The only thing I had sitting in the garage that would meet the API rating was a bottle of Syntec Blend 5w-30. I went ahead and filled it with a whopping 100ml. Is this gonna be alright or should I dump it again and get a higher viscosity?

I see no reason not to use Syntec 5W30. SAE 30 is not any thicker than SAE 5W30 at op temp. They both fall into the 30 weight range. The 5W30 is a multi viscosity oil so in theory it should crank easier at lower temps. Some will say the straight SAE30 is more shear stable but if you change the 5W30 at a reasonable interval it won't be an issue.

quote:

For the umpteenth time. modern two cycles should not smoke. None of mine do and I run them at 32:1 or better.

I couldn't agree more.

I own Poulan and Ryobi weedeaters, both 2-cycle, no smoke and run about 35:1.

Run em rich and you'll never have scored cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back