Any unique OCIs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there's the uniform interval folks - OCIs every 5k, or twice/yr, etc. But does anyone run non-uniform OCIs ?

I do -

My present comfort level OCI (w/ my Mazda 6) is - top shelf synth from late Summer to late Spring (under 12k miles, ~9 months), then good dino for the 3 months of Summer (I consider the dino kind've a flush).

My previous comfort OCI (w/ Sienna) was - top shelf synth from early Spring to Fall (under 9 k miles), then 0wXX synth during Winter months.

I try to do 10k with syn and 5k with dino.

However lately I have not been able to decide what brand I want to stick with. As soon as I get comfortable with one brand, theres a huge sale on something else. So basically I have been trying everything. I used to have a huge stash of M1 but that is just about gone now. So now I have 5 gallons of Valvoline dino to use up. Also, a few quarts of PYB, PP and FS.

Not really sure where I'll end up.

Last edited:
My OCIs are guided by analysis to make sure I am always accounting for changing conditions for my car, my driving, and my oil. If it turns out I need a 12,345 mile OCI, that's what I'll do. :)

I've been switching oils a lot lately because it was free, so my OCIs have been all over the place. Now that I'm paying for oil again, hopefully my switch to RLI 0w-30 will be the last.

The only thing that isn't subject to change is that I will always try to stretch my OCIs as far as possible.

dood,

So you're apparently doing UOAs during the oil run to determine OCI length (correct?)

I did that last yr (dipstick sample at 9 mos, 11.2k miles) on my Mazda 6 - the M1 0w20 did well but was used up. I just don't think I have the nerve to push the OCI thru the Summer to the 12 mo. sub 15k level. But I'll likely do the (dipstick) UOA next Spring on my PU fill and decide then whether to push on thru.

Meanwhile, I like having a top shelf synth in the Mazda for pretty much the duration of the school yr. Next yr my wife will be taking the kids to two schools, and then there's all the other kid/family related errands - she'll easily put 15k on it next yr - all in town - gives me the heebie jeebies.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
dood,

So you're apparently doing UOAs during the oil run to determine OCI length (correct?)

Yes indeed.

The strategy I've settled on is to pull my first sample at something like 2/3rds of a conservative estimate of what I think the oil can run, and go from there.

Huyndai requires 3750/3 month intervals for severe service. I saw a LOT of complaints online about Hyundai not honoring the 10 Yr/100,000 mile warranty, and even though most in my opinion are the fault of the consumer (lack of maintenance) I am not taking any chances.

Even though my car is driven mostly highway, I decided to follow the severe service schedule, and have the dealer perform all the work. I'd rather have slightly inflated maintenance costs than have Hyundai bail on me of I had a catastrophic failure of some sort.

The wife's car definitely falls under severe service, so I am doing the same with her car as well.

Both Dodge vehicles we own require 3 month/3000 mile intervals for severe service, and 6 month/6000 mile intervals for regular service, they make a point in the owner's manual stating that "most vehicles fall under the severe service category". I think as long as you have proof that the service was completed within the 6 month/6000 miles they cannot deny a warranty claim because how can they prove whether or not you fall into the regular or severe category?

1992 Camry V6 5000 miles Maxlife (aleaker)
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT Amsoil 12-18 mo OCI less than 5000 miles usually
2000 Buick last one was 9400 miles, min is 7500 OCI about a year for me
2006 Altima 9500 last one on Amsoil, will be about 7500 on current PP.

I feel relative certain that in all cases they could have gone further with no issues. When my kids were in college and I saw the cars only on holidays I was doing 1 year changes at anywhere between 10,000-15,000 with Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back