Any tire sales coming up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be looking to put some new tires on my new 03 Mercury Sable. 16 inch rims. I believe they are 215/60R16. I have a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring on my other Sable that are great so far. Durability is unknown and Sable/Tauruses tend to eat tires.

Not urgent as it has a set of really good looking Big O Euro tires but they have excessive dry cracking and were put on in 2010 so they are due.
Car does not go on long trips yet.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Might be looking to put some new tires on my new 03 Mercury Sable. 16 inch rims. I believe they are 215/60R16. I have a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring on my other Sable that are great so far. Durability is unknown and Sable/Tauruses tend to eat tires.

Not urgent as it has a set of really good looking Big O Euro tires but they have excessive dry cracking and were put on in 2010 so they are due.
Car does not go on long trips yet.

Spring rebates are coming in April, probably on nearly all brands.

Thanks for giving us the details on the vehicle. Besides not missing a sale, are you looking for anything different than your Coopers?

Not set on anything but really like the Coopers. Seem to be one of the best tires for the money I have ever driven on. I am staying away from Goodyear as they seem to be too hit or miss if it's a good set. Like Michelin pretty well except the price. Not sure about Bridgestone just lack experience with them.

From cheap to expensive, touring tires I have some personal experience with that I've been recommending:
Hankook Primacy PT (not GT!) H737 (really cheap at Walmart)
General RT43 (of course!)
Continental PureContact Eco+ (currently on closeout at Walmart)

There are other good choices. I've been looking at the Conti TrueContact Tour, but went with the Hankooks because we might trade the car in soon, but the Hankooks are still good enough to live with if we don't.

If you really like the Coopers, nothing wrong with waiting for a sale or rebate.

Maybe it's the tires you're buying. I used to get 50-60k out of a set of Goodyear Tripletreds. Got about 80k out of the rears once when I didn't rotate them. They do eat the fronts if you don't rotate them, that's when I only got about 50k out them. The tripletreds I had were the T rated 70k tires, there used to be an H rated tire that was 60k. I don't think they even have those anymore, but generally if you pick a lower speed rating, you'll get more tread life out of the tire. The T rating was good for 118mph, never went close to triple digits and handling, noise was fine with the T.

Is winter/snow performance important?

If you can use summer tires, consider the Goodyear Triplemax. These are not regular US-market tires, but rather from their Asia-Pacific arm, and they are made in Malaysia. The Triplemax is a long-life summer tire. Better wet and dry handling than an all-season while still providing good treadlife.

If you need all-season tires, your best choice is the Vredestein Quatrac 5. However, there is certainly nothing wrong with the CS5 Ultras you're using now, and Coopers do have an extra 32nd of tread, 11/32 instead of the usual 10/32

And if your 10-yo tires still have tread on them, then the eating tires is of no concern to you considering the usage
smile.gif

Walmart does not stock 737's in all sizes. There's a lot they don't stock in all sizes. Just got mine today at a local shop which I prefer anyway. I saw a rebate on General also and there are others. You can go to Tire Rack or Discount just to look up who has rebates and go to mfg. sites to verify. Remember, trust but verify.

Originally Posted by Randy_R
Walmart does not stock 737's in all sizes. There's a lot they don't stock in all sizes. Just got mine today at a local shop which I prefer anyway. I saw a rebate on General also and there are others. You can go to Tire Rack or Discount just to look up who has rebates and go to mfg. sites to verify. Remember, trust but verify.

They may not have them all in stock but I'll bet they can order them or you can online for store pickup.

Walmart has some deals on Cooper tires now. $30 off a 2 pack. I'm not sure if it'll link correctly so you may have to go to the website and search, but here goes nothing.

cooper tire sale Walmart

cs5 Walmart

Edit: looks like it didn't link correctly. Always have trouble when doing it from my phone. Anyway type 7H9M8BC7RZOP into the Walmart search engine. They have a 2 pack bundle of the CS5's you like for $138 in your size. There's some more deals on different Cooper's as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back