Any suggestions: Repairing a modular wiring connector

One wire was damaged leading into this modular connector. If possible, I’d like to repair this instead of plan B, which is making new clips and sealing it with silicone.

- I imagine it had toothed connectors inside
- I don’t see a way to solder new wires in without blocking up the flat blade connectors
- maybe just cut it open and then re-seal the outside?

It’s for the cam position sensor on a Volvo S40. The thermostat hose above it failed and it was sprayed with hot coolant for an unknown time, and the wires failed. Because of the location and application, I need a solid and waterproof connection to the new cam sensor. Thoughts appreciated.

e3128a54-8484-4ec9-ab94-48d40067c7ec-jpeg.121207

Attachments

• E3128A54-8484-4EC9-AB94-48D40067C7EC.jpeg
    E3128A54-8484-4EC9-AB94-48D40067C7EC.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 137
Whaaaa….. I had no idea. Thanks. I almost stopped at my local NAPA on my way home today to ask.

Thanks much!

Yep, must be. Well if you find yourself in need of a beer in Gig Harbor, WA, you let me know. I owe you one.

👍

I went through this on the Mini… b*stard rodent of some kind chewed the top oxygen sensor wire connector on the harness. Not in the middle, but right at the connector.

I am no wiring guru but I took a shot at fixing it. Nope, the wire was too damaged. So I thought I’d see if someone sold a pigtail. No one does. BMW, who builds Minis, sells a “kit” with odd sized pins for the 22ga wires, weather pack seals, and a pricey housing with an easy-to-break clip to hold it all together. For an outsized amount of money ($60 for a kit?).

Nevertheless I tried to effect a fix. It didn’t work, a wire or pin would push in, or something wouldn’t click in.

I gave up on it and temporarily connected the wires to the oxygen sensor connector and epoxied it. Smirk all you like, it actually works fine, no errors. But I don’t like this solution.

Then I bought (and just received yesterday) an engine wiring harness with the sensor connector intact on it. I’ll remove that and put it in. And sell off the other unneeded connectors with pigtails since they are expensive and hard to find. 🤨

Back