Any reloaders here? Primer shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a couple pounds of 748 so I'm not hurting for it right now but I'm always on the lookout for it. It's the best powder I've ever found for use in my bolt action .223.

I bought some surplus WC-750 which is a non canister grade powder similar to 748 and some surplus WC-844 too. Those powders are useful in .223 and .308 military rifles so I have plenty of each. Neither is as consistent or as clean burning at 748 though.

The bad part of all this is that those of use who never really hoard things are essentially being forced into it by everyone else. Things are so hard to find it makes sense to buy more when there's a chance.

I agree, we got a legislative fight coming soon. The hubris of certain groups increases by the day so it's inevitable I'm afraid...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Nope, we have a major panic going on and I wished every one that owned a firearm would join the NRA and 2nd amendment foundation. If that happened, the idiots on the hill would not even think about messing around.
06.gif

Then things could calm down.

Originally Posted By: jsharp
The bad part of all this is that those of use who never really hoard things are essentially being forced into it by everyone else. Things are so hard to find it makes sense to buy more when there's a chance.

Two excellent points!

I use quite a bit of IMR4227, H110, Retumbo and Varget and around here at least, the supplies are still good, I guess it may be time to stock up on some more though?
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: bruce381
in my local shop WW 748 is $32 per LB
And that is about $16 too much..

Just picked up an 8lb jug of Varget and an 8 pounder of Retumbo at my local gunshop today, $123.95 + tax each. Supply is still good, at least the powders I use. They were out of the WW 748 though, must be a lot of people running around here with those "Black Rifles"
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Just picked up an 8lb jug of Varget and an 8 pounder of Retumbo at my local gunshop today, $123.95 + tax each. Supply is still good, at least the powders I use. They were out of the WW 748 though, must be a lot of people running around here with those "Black Rifles"
shocked2.gif

Correction...

"Evil Black Rifles"
33.gif

Better prices on powder. My last 16lbs of AA2230 was $170 out the door.

Enough for 4666 (oooh evil number) rounds...
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: bruce381
in my local shop WW 748 is $32 per LB

Talked to one vendor at a gunshow recently. He said he had "most" of an 8lb container back at the shop. He thought he'd take $200 for it if I drove 150+ miles to his place to pick it up.
smirk2.gif

"I'm sure you would" was all I could think of to say.

The surplus powders I have work fine in my evil military style rifles and I have enough 748 to last a while in my bolt gun. I just need small pistol primers to get through this bubble.

Last edited:
A new record on this one.

I'm checking my email and Midway has notified me that they have some small pistol primers in stock. I go there, see them in stock, add them to my cart, enter my cc info and try to check out.

Sorry, no. Now out of stock.

Elapsed time from the notification email time stamp until the out of stock warning - 4 minutes.

Some folks must have less busy lives than I do. They must be sitting there all day long waiting for the product availability notice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back