Any reason not to use Ultra for 5k

Well, it was done by an acquaintance of mine, and those were the products he chose. I'd also have to say you and I would likely agree; nobody wants a 50%@20um filter (Wix XP?). MOST of the decent filters are going to be 85% or better in today's terms.
I think there are filters that are sold as upper tier - Wix XP, Purolator Boss, etc. That if you weren't a member of this forum you wouldn't expect them to have poor filtration efficiency.

How many of those million-mile vehicles haven’t had at least one engine rebuild? I mean over gotten my old Sienna to nearly 500K but there’s no way the engine would make it to a million.
Most of the million mile vehicles are of commercial type use. An engine at operating temps has minimal wear.

the air filter is another very important filter that needs periodic checks and changes.... Engineers installed an air filter for a reason.
We can remove the oil filter and run the engine and see how long it lasts and we can remove the air cleaner and see how long the engine lasts. Any decent quality oil will will give the engine life past its ownership.

What's even more puzzling is someone claiming oil filtration doesn't really matter when they have some super crazy oil filtration system on their vehicle. 😄

Brickbats to you for saying this.

Where's your desire to "learn more", or experiment some?
I don't see you pushing any boundaries anywhere in the name of discovery....
just rehashing over and over (and over) outdated and irrelevant studies, mostly.

Give me some credit.

just rehashing over and over (and over) outdated and irrelevant studies, mostly.

Give me some credit.
It was an appropriate comment. I mean it''s pretty ironic and funny that someone who claims filtration doesn't really matter has some super filtration system on their vehicle.

So since you seem to be doing this to learn something, what kind of controlled testing have you done before and after using this super filtration system, and what has it "taught" you? Did you do UOAs with PCs before and after installing the system? Did you run a series of tests with just the spin-on with low and high efficiency oil filters? What are you learning?

If I had unlimited time (I do not)
unlimited funds (I do not) and
unlimited testing/lab resources (I do not),

- - - then I can assure you my "impromptu personal study" would be much more significant.

- - - then I can assure you my "impromptu personal study" would be much more significant.
So what are you going to do to measure comparative wear during this study? Also where is your control so that you know if you’re doing anything significant or not?

I don't want to conduct my own testing either, so I'll just use the most efficient spin-on filter I can get for a decent price, and do decent OCIs. Why not strive for cleaner oil by simply going at least 99% @20u when it's only going to cost me a Big Mac once a year, not like it's going to cost me 100s of dollars to do it. I already know that better filtration results in cleaner oil, which is better than dirtier oil. Every study concludes that, so why do I need to prove it to myself.

Last edited:

Give me some credit.
Please, please, PLEASE

Mail your 50k mile Tough Guard to Stude so we can learn more.

Back