Any reason NOT to extract trans oil and refill???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few friends cars that could use a professional trans flush, but it's like pulling teeth to get these guys into a shop. How about I suck out as much fluid as possible with my lovely oil extractor and refill with generic DEX a few times until we are happy? I would like to go with the SuperTech synth after a few regular fluid flushs. I can establish what % of the oil I am actually getting out and see if it would be wothwhile to upgrade it after a bit of dino cleaning/flushing. Ideas?

I'm curious why you're so adamant about your friends' cars. If they don't care about their vehicles, why should you?

I choose not to pester people about their car maintenance. If they don't want to listen to good advice or accept a helping hand in maintaining their vehicles that's their problem. It leaves me more free time.

More imporatantly, if something breaks during the procedure, or if they run into a problem with their car after you've worked on it (even if it wasn't related to the work you've done), guess who they're going to blame? Be very careful about being a good samaritan.

Siphoning it out is better than leaving it in there! make sure if you work on friends/family members cars you remind them that this is at their own risk. Usually they dont have a problem with that especially since they are saving $$ by using you for maintenace
smile.gif

I have a 2002 Envoy that I bought with 64k miles. The trans fluid was dark and most likely original. I changed the fluid and filter once, then siphoned it out 4 times over 3 weeks. Now my fluid is nice, bright, clear red and my shifts are like a brand new trans.
Like I said, the "worst" thing you can do is leave it in there. Even if you are replacing 10% bad with 10% new you are still making a difference. And as far as percentages go, how many quarts capacity are we talking about? Do your friends have trucks/cars/small cars?
My Envoy has 14qt (deep pan from factory) capacity. I changed 5 qts out a total of 4 times. That was enough to visually see that the fluid was the same as what was being poured in. Now after 2,000 miles its still bright clear red.
cheers.gif

quote:

More imporatantly, if something breaks during the procedure, or if they run into a problem with their car after you've worked on it (even if it wasn't related to the work you've done), guess who they're going to blame? Be very careful about being a good samaritan.

This sounds like the voice of expierence. It is good advice. Be carefull what you do and for whom.

quote:

Originally posted by 1maniac:

quote:

This sounds like the voice of expierence. It is good advice. Be carefull what you do and for whom.

Trust me, no good deed goes unpunished. I speak from experience
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

I'm tending to agree with you guys. Just wondering if pretty much any tranny with a dipstick could be serviced this way.
dunno.gif

Ok so basically doing any good deed will result in punishment???! Guys, I live in Detroit. Thats not the way things work. If you go up to a stranger and say "gee whiz, how bouts I flush your trans out for ya, yuck yuck" and then you screw it up or their trans was already in grave disrepair, then ok. But for friends and family? come on now. I pick the people around me very carefully and Im sure you do too. If I thought somebody was going to give me crap, about ME doing THEM a favor, then I dont do it.
Anyways, to answer your original question- yes, the transmission fluid can be siphoned out through the dipstick. Very easy and clean. If you cant get somebody to drop their pan and change the filter, clean the pan and magnet, than i guess a little siphoning wont hurt anything! Im outta this post
wink.gif

burnout.gif

[ March 06, 2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: [email protected] ]

Thanks for the feedback. I can't send PM but thanks again. Is the normal procedure to check the dipstick with it running, hot and in neutral?

As far as American cars, yes. Now your name indicated you might have a Audi. Im not so sure there. My Father rebuilds chrysler mostly and ford, GM RWD's. He doesnt touch ford and gm front wheel drives but he will do chryslers fwd's.

Well if you were selling this car and you told me you sucked out the ATF, I would never buy the car from you. Anyone who fools with thier own transmisson is asking for trouble. Better to leave it alone then mess with somethihg you know nothing about.

Friends and family always ask me if I know what I am doing. With that said, I always say I don't seem to be having problems with my cars like the way the always do. Sometimes they get desperate and ask for an opinion, and depending on who is doing the asking, my response can sometimes be 'Why ask me, you never listen anyway.'

I have done this to both of our family vehicles, a 1997 Lumina (32,000 miles) and a 1999 Silverado (105,000 miles). Both have had the filter change and pan drop in the past, but I like to freshen up the trans fluid by doing just what you said, via the dipstick. Siphon out the old, replace with new. you'd be suprised at how much you can get by doing it just once. Do it a few times and the Trans fluid will be pretty fresh. There are a few threads on this subject, everyone has a different opinion on frequency, etc. Forget what frequency I chose, I wrote in the manual which is presently in my truck. But keep in mind that I also have had the filter changed in the past, and will do it again at some point in the future. Both vehicles shift beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back