Any real difference in oil filters? Wal-Mart OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since they all must meet certain requirements, and I'm told store brands are made by name brand manufacturers, is a store brand OK. Should I spend 2 to 3 time$ the amount for Motorcraft as Wal-Mart brand?

I would say that if you are here you are savvy about vehicles and their maintenance. If you change your oil & filter on a reasonable schedule, then a cheaper version with basic features will certainly work. The filter position is critical here though as if yours is upside-down (Bitogers dis-like this term but I use it anyway!)you NEED a good ADV that will retain oil. In my area the Motorcrafts are only $1.00 more than Wallys and several versions are made by WIX anyway? Tha Walmart filters are very popular here and I can't recall a single "charge" against them. My vehicles have up-side down position , how-ever ,so I opt for the WIX from site sponsor FLEET FILTER delivered to my door for about $3.00 plus a few sheckles for "Buster Brown".

I use them on long OCIs, and they are fine. The ones for my applications are made by whoever makes AC filters now. The filtering capability, according to standardized tests, seem comparable with the best. I know AC filters are made for high capacity, due to GM's oil life monitor allowing longer OCIs. Most of them are the E-core design, which has been much debated, but I like it. It beats the heck out of a Fram's construction, IMO. Other times, I will run a PurOne, but I like the SuperTechs, too. I think Champion makes them and the ACs, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Do a quick search to find more precise info.

Opinions vary all over the map, everything from an oil filter is not needed to an oil filter is critical to long engine life.

An inexpensive house brand filter will generally work just fine and filter your oil to some degree. A premium name brand filter (Amsoil, Mobil 1, K&N, Pure one, etc.) will also work just fine and generally do a better job of filtering.

My opinion is that if you do consertive OCIs (3,000 to 4,000 miles) and use house brand filters the engine will outlast the rest of the car. If you do longer OCIs a name brand filter will serve your long term needs better.

I run 10,000 mile OCIs with synthetic oil and run premium filters (generally Pure One and Mobil 1). Been doing it for years and have had no problems. Currently at almost 200,000 miles and still going.

Enjoy you ride.
wink.gif

I run the Supertech filters on many engines that I service for the family and cut open EVERY one of them.

Excellent filter, the UOAs show low insol so filtering is good
thumbsup.gif
and never had a filter fail.

For $2.50 a filter, you can not go wrong. I've gone 300k+ on Fram filters. The Supertech filters are better IMO.

Like I said, I've cut open every filter (and posted many photos here) and all are perfect as they should be.
approved.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

I use them on long OCIs, and they are fine. The ones for my applications are made by whoever makes AC filters now. The filtering capability, according to standardized tests, seem comparable with the best. I know AC filters are made for high capacity, due to GM's oil life monitor allowing longer OCIs. Most of them are the E-core design, which has been much debated, but I like it. It beats the heck out of a Fram's construction, IMO. Other times, I will run a PurOne, but I like the SuperTechs, too. I think Champion makes them and the ACs, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Do a quick search to find more precise info.

I agree...ST filers are great. And Champion makes them. Check out the site and you'll agree Champ oil filters

I either use the ST or AAP (grip)house filters when they are on sale. I recently took a bunch of my old ST stash filters back when the AAP sale was going on. WM gave me credit on the filters for $2.27 each. When the AAP sale is going on, their filters are 2 for $2.88. I then used the store credit at WM to buy more TA oil. Yes, I am a cheap #@$%!...

Last edited:
Supertech filters appear to be a very good buy for the money. I've cut open a few and they seem to be built pretty well. As Doc said, they're made by champ so you know they can't be too bad. I wish I could find them for my vehicle, but i haven't spotted a 7317 since i moved up to Maine
frown.gif

Every Wal-Mart is different. One store will have very few and the next store you go to will have next to none. While they keep raising the price on the SuperTech I haven't seen any interest in actually putting the complete product line on the shelf. I have to go to one store to pick up a ST7317 and another store for a ST4967.

You do have to wonder why they even bother to offer ST and MC. They give so little space for each at my Wally's that it looks like a clearance section.

Quote:

You do have to wonder why they even bother to offer ST and MC. They give so little space for each at my Wally's that it looks like a clearance section.

Perhaps the original idea behind the SuperTech line was just to provide those Wal-Mart's which had a automotive service department their own source of inexpensive filters. One day a sales associate noticed that they had three left over but couldn't put them back in stock because they had thrown away the cardboard box. Wondering what they should do with them someone came up with the bright idea of covering their mistake by hiding them over in the Fram isle. Didn't think anyone would notice.

anyone think the AAP filters will make it 5k running MC 5W20 blend in the Civic????

running them at 4k with ST dino....
after 2 cycles of MC, i'll be getting a UOA.

Quote:

anyone think the AAP filters will make it 5k running MC 5W20 blend in the Civic????

5K use won't harm the filter... provided the engine's not filthy.

Quote:

They will be just fine for 5K I would be fine using them for 8-10k personally... Oh wait, I have
grin.gif

I cut open a number of filters (5 so far) intended for 4.7L Toyota engines and the only one without a bypass was the Supertech. It also had paper end caps and a plastic core cage. Not sure that there is a problem with a plastic core or paper end caps but no bypass is a no go for me. Fifty cents for a much better Purolator Premium Plus is the way to go for this app or two bucks more for a the OEM Denso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back