Any preference over Melling or Cloyes timing chain component kits for a Ford 5.4 32V Intech?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Looking at options of installing a junk yard 5.4L 32V Intech engine (junkyard pull), to replace a blown like engine, in a 2004 Lincoln Navigator

RockAuto offers both the Melling and Cloyes component kits. Trying to identify if one is a better choice over the other:

MELLING 3391SE {#3-391SE}
Hub Design: Crankshaft Sprocket; Plastic Primary Timing Chain Tensioners $315

CLOYES 90391SE {#9-0391SE}
Front; Includes: Camshaft Sprocket (4), Crankshaft Sprocket, Chain (4), Tensioner Arm Assy., Tensioner (4), Guide (2) $383

MELLING 3391SF {#3-391SF} Professional Grade
Hub Design: Crankshaft Sprocket; Cast Iron Primary Timing Chain Tensioners $396

Any thoughts/ recommendations?

I have used Cloyes in the past, it's been a while.. I never had a problem.Reason for using, it was a local company for me. I think everything is Chinese made now.

I would go for MELLING 3391SF Iron tensioners and they claim Made in USA, the Cloyes looks identical but COO may be China, I have had a few of their parts with China on the box. IIRC Clinebarger got one for one of these engines and it was Made in the USA, PM him and ask.

I’ll get roasted for this recommendation, but you want to use genuine Ford on the chains. Cloyes is mostly Chinese, Melling is okay for the tensioners, but Ford only on the chains and guides. The areas of the chains that ride on the guides are smoother on genuine Ford and the guides last much longer. Yes, your wallet will suffer, but the crying only once slogan applies in this case.

Years ago I researched this for a 4.6 and went with Cloyes because at the time is was oem. If they switched to China production, I'd say no. and determining the country of origin on a mail order parts is a tedious ordeal.

Look at post #19 and down.

Look at post #19 and down.

My experience was the same as Post 19 there from @clinebarger : it was a normally aspirated CX-9 (ie Ford Edge) but the Melling timing kit from RA had the Ford logos ground off

Couple that with the fact that Melling pioneered the HV oil pump for the 3V's and I'm inclined to believe they were the OEM for Ford timing sets.

According to MMR, Morse OEM'd the chains.....but I'm not sure that jibes with my theory of Melling making guides, tensioners, etc....then would you use a different manufacturer for the chains? Maybe? I guess?

Reactions: GON
Also I'll say MMR is a good source for the ratcheting metal tensioners (I think they're technically "Ford Racing"?) but don't buy their kits that include "quality aftermarket guides."

The guides they provide are aftermarket. And they are guides. But they're not really quality, just standard white box-level stuff

Listen to FordTechMakuloco and stick with OEM Ford timing parts and VCT phasers. I’d go the Melling pump for sure.

BorgWarner MorseTec have been supplying the Detroit 3 for timing chains lately.

Seen those 4cam ford's get over 300k without needing chains. On an 20 year old Navigator, is it worth it?

OEM. Melling if money is a problem and/or you're planning on selling it.

As for the iron tensioners there is a big crowd that says they ratchet too tight and some that claim to have seen them in the process of grinding chain rails up. I think you at least want to ground off a couple teeth. If you look at the new design plastic ones there is really no way they can blow out.

You probably want to do the oil pump. As others have said, watch the Makuloco videos for thoughts.

Back