Any other CX-9 owners here?

We picked up the car on Friday and drove home to Vegas from Phoenix. I’m grinning ear to ear. The CX-9 is ridiculously comfortable and quiet, the motor has torque everywhere, and the interior is gorgeous. And, we got 24 mpg while averaging 78mph on the drive home. Not too shabby for a new motor. I cannot figure out why Mazda doesn’t sell more of these vehicles.

Good to hear. The sales are dependent on the dealer network which is spotty due to the size of Mazda. They are popular in various regions too. In the Seattle area you will see loads of Mazda cars. In other parts very few due to lack of dealerships.

Las Vegas to Phoenix is just a puddle jump. That was a good decision on your part.

Good to hear. The sales are dependent on the dealer network which is spotty due to the size of Mazda. They are popular in various regions too. In the Seattle area you will see loads of Mazda cars. In other parts very few due to lack of dealerships.

Las Vegas to Phoenix is just a puddle jump. That was a good decision on your part.

In Vegas I see lots of CX-5's and CX-30's but very few of the sedans and CX-9's. I think you are right about the dealer network. There are 3 Mazda dealers in Vegas and they are fairly small compared to their neighbors.

In Vegas I see lots of CX-5's and CX-30's but very few of the sedans and CX-9's. I think you are right about the dealer network. There are 3 Mazda dealers in Vegas and they are fairly small compared to their neighbors.

It’s been a couple of years since I read this but at that time over 60% of Mazda sales were the CX5. The CX30 has been a big hit for them lately even in spite of the COVID.

I thought he was just demonstrating his math skills. After all, "water pump" is indeed, two words.

We bought our last new Mazda (a 6) in Las Vegas. We had looked for one with the manual transmission for 2 years. Finally got a salesman that could get us one. Got the price we wanted initially, but after all the dealer packs and doc fees (that I will never pay again) the deal wasn't that great. Window tint, door protectors, air in the tires, etc. If the car wasn't so hard to find I would have backed out of the deal. Out of state is definitely on the table for my next vehicle purchase.

Never heard of a water pump failure in these. I'm sure it can occur, but what of it?
I suspect super20dan is referring to the 1st-gen CX-9 (up through MY 2016), which used the Ford tranverse V6 engines (3.5 and later 3.7 l). These engines had an internal water pump driven off the timing chain. They are problematic in that if the WP fails and leaks, coolant can get into the sump and destroy the bearings pretty quickly. The Fords which used these engines have had a lot of problems.

This is not an issue for the OP's vehicle; MYs 2017 on use Mazda's SkyActiv 2.5T engine, rather than a Ford engine.

Back