Any other CX-9 owners here?

It does work fine, mostly bcs. it is generally conservative engine. Emphasis is not on performance but on soccer moms (literally!). It is engine that delivers good torque between 2 and 4,000 rpms. It ain't BMW turbo after 4,000rpms that is for sure, nor Mazda's engineers wanted to to chase more performance oriented engines.
It's still pushing @17psi, and I've not found the rpms to really matter as long as gearing supports the goal. Does fine from a roll. I think people get wrapped up in high rpm for no reason. That said, yes, they were super conservative. I'd like a performance model of it!

It's still pushing @17psi, and I've not found the rpms to really matter as long as gearing supports the goal. Does fine from a roll. I think people get wrapped up in high rpm for no reason. That said, yes, they were super conservative. I'd like a performance model of it!
LOL, sure they do.

I think Mazda is a very innovative company that makes great vehicles.....I just hope they've solved their issues with RUST....

I think Mazda is a very innovative company that makes great vehicles.....I just hope they've solved their issues with RUST....
That seems never ending saga.
More boost. Higher compression. 16.7psi on 87 octane reliably with 10.5:1...
LOL. No. It is emissions related. They need more efficient EGR. Skyactiv comes with other side of coin, and that is increased NOx. EGR needs to be more efficient. There is nothing unique in that approach, nothing special.

Last edited:
Explain to me the point of higher rpm, lol. I've owned 7500rpm and 6200rpm redlineing sports cars. They accelerated identically. VQ37 and LS1. What does rpm do for you?
This is turbo engine. Maybe it is news to you, but they operate differently.

That seems never ending saga.

LOL. No.
Lol...yes. instead of dumping raw fuel to cool the cylinders, the egr gas being cooled and reinjected prevents them from wasting fuel like this, and allows the boost and compression they have, on 87 octane. Pretty ingenious. Results in great fuel economy.

Also, it doesnt matter if an engine has a turbo or not. Whether you get the power and torque high, or low in the rpm band doesnt matter one bit, so long as the gearing of the transmission and final drive compliment delivery of said power. there is no magic in producing power at 8k vs 5k.

Lol...yes. instead of dumping raw fuel to cool the cylinders, the egr gas being cooled and reinjected prevents them from wasting fuel like this, and allows the boost and compression they have, on 87 octane. Pretty ingenious. Results in great fuel economy.

Also, it doesnt matter if an engine has a turbo or not. Whether you get the power and torque high, or low in the rpm band doesnt matter one bit, so long as the gearing of the transmission and final drive compliment delivery of said power. there is no magic in producing power at 8k vs 5k.
Now I have read everything.

Took the CX-9 on our first long trip driving it to FL. 4 adults and all of our stuff was the load. With the 3rd row seats folded down it gave us a barely sufficient amount of space, but with 4 adults, we had a lot of stuff. Mileage averaged 24 MPGs, and the amount of power on tap at any given time was more than adequate. Comfort in front or the middle row was surprisingly good, though with the 2nd row seats slid all the way back, it doesn't allow for reclining the seats, but it was still reasonably comfortable. I'd give it a solid B+ for long hauls...

hello grampi, thanks for info on cx9. some questions if i may...
how is it as a suburban daily driver, i.e. ease of parking, visibility, mpg, scooting in/out of traffic?
what rpm does it run at highway speeds?
is it quiet and serene or “sporty?”
what did you cross-shop it against?
does it feel big and “boaty” on the road or “planted” as is the cx5?
thanks!

hello grampi, thanks for info on cx9. some questions if i may...
how is it as a suburban daily driver, i.e. ease of parking, visibility, mpg, scooting in/out of traffic?
what rpm does it run at highway speeds?
is it quiet and serene or “sporty?”
what did you cross-shop it against?
does it feel big and “boaty” on the road or “planted” as is the cx5?
thanks!
It's a great suburban driver. Easy parking, good visibility, and decent MPGs (though they would be better if I could keep my foot out of it, but all that torque is just so much fun)! Squirting and out of traffic is also a joy because of it's power and sure-footed handling. The ride is quiet and smooth without sloppy handling. It feels quite "planted." I compared it to the CX-5, the Rav 4, Highlander, Ford Edge and Explorer. Oh, and on the highway at 80 MPH the tach is sitting at about 2500-2600 RPM...

Great thread! I'm flying to Phoenix tomorrow to buy a 2021 CX-9 Signature. We couldn't find one in Las Vegas and the dealer in PHX made us a good deal. We've been looking at the CX-9 (and others in the class) for about 6 months and nearly pulled the trigger on a 2020 in July. I'm glad we waited because the new infotainment system is a pleasant upgrade with the higher-res camera view and wide-screen Apple Car Play. We were looking for something smaller and quieter than our last car (13 Honda Pilot) but wanted the flexibility of the 3rd row in a pinch. We drove the new Highlander (boring looking), the Telluride (admittedly awesome but too large), the Palisade (a face only a mother could love), the Ascent (better than I expected), and the Pilot. My wife narrowed it down to the Pilot and the CX-9. Compared to our venerable 2013 Pilot, the newest versions are way faster and have a super functional and durable interior, but they look too much like a minivan on the outside. The CX-9 is crazy nice inside, especially the Signature trim, and drives much smaller than it looks. It was remarkably quiet and comfortable on the road. And, that turbo motor is awesome - virtually no lag and gobs of thrust.

Great thread! I'm flying to Phoenix tomorrow to buy a 2021 CX-9 Signature. We couldn't find one in Las Vegas and the dealer in PHX made us a good deal. We've been looking at the CX-9 (and others in the class) for about 6 months and nearly pulled the trigger on a 2020 in July. I'm glad we waited because the new infotainment system is a pleasant upgrade with the higher-res camera view and wide-screen Apple Car Play. We were looking for something smaller and quieter than our last car (13 Honda Pilot) but wanted the flexibility of the 3rd row in a pinch. We drove the new Highlander (boring looking), the Telluride (admittedly awesome but too large), the Palisade (a face only a mother could love), the Ascent (better than I expected), and the Pilot. My wife narrowed it down to the Pilot and the CX-9. Compared to our venerable 2013 Pilot, the newest versions are way faster and have a super functional and durable interior, but they look too much like a minivan on the outside. The CX-9 is crazy nice inside, especially the Signature trim, and drives much smaller than it looks. It was remarkably quiet and comfortable on the road. And, that turbo motor is awesome - virtually no lag and gobs of thrust.

You will enjoy that CX9. Does yours have the second row Captains chairs?

I always wondered why more people didn't do this. It's not like plane tickets are impossible to afford, and you will save more money than you spend by far, depending on the situation as you mention.

I agree on the turbo engine. There is a reason it won a Ward's Top 10 mention.

We picked up the car on Friday and drove home to Vegas from Phoenix. I’m grinning ear to ear. The CX-9 is ridiculously comfortable and quiet, the motor has torque everywhere, and the interior is gorgeous. And, we got 24 mpg while averaging 78mph on the drive home. Not too shabby for a new motor. I cannot figure out why Mazda doesn’t sell more of these vehicles.

I always wondered why more people didn't do this. It's not like plane tickets are impossible to afford, and you will save more money than you spend by far, depending on the situation as you mention.

I agree on the turbo engine. There is a reason it won a Ward's Top 10 mention.
We found flights on Frontier for about $35 each. Flights are super cheap right now.

Back