Any other CX-9 owners here?

Okay, so VQ35DE is correct? I guess I don't understand his point. Does he want me to go back to the service center and tell the tech he's wrong? I don't really care what fluid goes where, as long as it isn't leaking...which it isn't...
If you think the jiffy lube replaced the transmission, diff, or transfer case fluid, I would probably change those out sooner than later as odds are its not the right stuff. My first Focus wagon came with atf from jiffy lube in the mtx. Which was allowed by ford initially but after a year they spec'd a specific manual trans fluid.

Just want to correct what you were told. The transmission uses a specific AT fluid. The transfer case and rear diff use a specific gear oil. The transfer case oil is not blue.
The Mazda Type FZ is blue when it is new, but turns gold/amber after some use. Every Skyactiv trans I have serviced had amber or dark brown fluid after 30-60K.

How much FZ do you put back in on a "drain and fill" ? No pan drop.
On the FWD models, 3.5 - 3.75 qt depending on the temp and how long the trans was allowed to drain for. Usually 3.6-3.7.
Never seen an AWD one out here.

If you think the jiffy lube replaced the transmission, diff, or transfer case fluid, I would probably change those out sooner than later as odds are its not the right stuff. My first Focus wagon came with atf from jiffy lube in the mtx. Which was allowed by ford initially but after a year they spec'd a specific manual trans fluid.
How did Jiffy Lube come into the discussion? I had the tranny, transfer case, and rear end fluids changed by my personal mechanic, and I know he used the correct fluids for all 3 because he ordered them directly from Mazda...

The more I drive this thing, the more I like it...the torque is addictive!

Yes, and the absolute lack of lag. And the knowledge that it is going to stay out of the shop.
How do they do that? Every turbo I've either had in the past, or driven had lag. This thing is instantaneous! I feels more like a blower than a turbo...

How do they do that? Every turbo I've either had in the past, or driven had lag. This thing is instantaneous! I feels more like a blower than a turbo...
Variable turbo intake volume = constant flow velocity at varying flow volume. They have inconel flaps that shut off part of the flow path to maintain pressure/flow velocity at low rpm/volume.

DPT turbo system.

Variable turbo intake volume = constant flow velocity at varying flow volume. They have inconel flaps that shut off part of the flow path to maintain pressure/flow velocity at low rpm/volume.

DPT turbo system.

So that's how they do it. Very clever!

Reactions: Ws6

A variable-geometry turbo is 30 year old technology...also delicate, complicated, and usually very expensive if anything fails.

Reactions: Ws6
A variable-geometry turbo is 30 year old technology...also delicate, complicated, and usually very expensive if anything fails.
This is part of why Mazda doesn't use one. They achieve the same results without any of that mess. They chose to work harder in the design room rather than in production/warranty/shop rooms.

Half a decade is nothing. How well does it work after 200,000 miles and 10,000 or so heat cycles?
It works fine. I have a 2019 with 47k miles on it. You think 2016s with 200+ dont exist? Find me a single 2.5SA turbo failure online. Or of a turbo 2.5 SkyActiv engine in general. There literally IS NOT ONE. Google it. If you cannot find it broken on t he internet, and it's been around for 5+ years, that says a LOT.

Last edited:
This is part of why Mazda doesn't use one. They achieve the same results without any of that mess. They chose to work harder in the design room rather than in production/warranty/shop rooms.
Technology that others were using long before Mazda.

It works fine. I have a 2019 with 47k miles on it. You think 2016s with 200+ dont exist? Find me a single 2.5SA turbo failure online. Or of a turbo 2.5 SkyActiv engine in general. There literally IS NOT ONE. Google it. If you cannot find it broken on t he internet, and it's been around for 5+ years, that says a LOT.
It does work fine, mostly bcs. it is generally conservative engine. Emphasis is not on performance but on soccer moms (literally!). It is engine that delivers good torque between 2 and 4,000 rpms. It ain't BMW turbo after 4,000rpms that is for sure, nor Mazda's engineers wanted to to chase more performance oriented engines.

Back