Any of you know anything about air humidifiers?

My GF purchased a humidifier for me over Xmas.

The key problem is she purchased me a 900 Sq ft unit for am apartment that doesn't have very large rooms.

The floors and cabinets are all cheap laminate wood. The kitchen cabinets above the sink have already warped from 3x a day dishwashing. I doubt it but it could be possible the constant heater running could be the culprit as well.

I'm worried the humidifier will damage things further.

The apartment is only 667 sq ft, whereas the unit is 900 sq ft.

The key problem is she purchased me a 900 Sq ft unit for am apartment that doesn't have very large rooms.

The floors and cabinets are all cheap laminate wood. The kitchen cabinets above the sink have already warped from 3x a day dishwashing. I doubt it but it could be possible the constant heater running could be the culprit as well.

I'm assuming the unit has a humidistat so that you can hold a set point of your choosing. The heater is actually drying the air, not adding humidity.

Humidity flows from hi to low and from warm air to cold air. Here's a chart for a comfortable home. Also a chemical the keeps bacteria down in the water like this. Sold at some Walmarts, hardware and box stores.
Screenshot_20221228-110127.jpg

It' was dry as can be due to a cold snap. My GF and I were shooting off sparks on everything we touched. Not so much lately.
Then adding the humidifier won’t do anything to the house as far as damage. You’re prob at like 10-15% humidity. A small room one isn’t gonna do much but it will help.

Then adding the humidifier won’t do anything to the house as far as damage. You’re prob at like 10-15% humidity. A small room one isn’t gonna do much but it will help.
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely feel better using it now.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely feel better using it now.
It would take a whole house humidifier to bring up the humidity to a level worth anything close to worrying about. Our whole home humidifier took us from 10%ish up to 30-40s.

A rule of thumb on the cold dry prairies was to increase the humidity until moisture started to appear along the bottom of the windows. In the winter you couldn't get much above the 20s.

The ideal for health is about 40% which isn't achievable in a cold environment without causing damage to the wall around the windows.

Well this thing is comical. It's about 6 inches tall and 2 inches deep/wide. It releases a fine mist out of a 0.04 gallon reservoir. Don't think it'll damage much of anything.

Yeah that’s not going to do much and you’ll be refilling all the time. My mom has a freestanding one that holds a gallon or two, it raises the humidity slightly in the family room/kitchen but she’s still constantly refilling. I have whole home humidifiers tied into the ductwork. They work well and you just replace the pads annually. Not an option in an apartment though.

Interesting... I've got Damp-Rid pouches hanging in various closets and seldom-used rooms to pull the humidity out of the air in this house (Dallas), because it's now too cool to run the air conditioner. Can't imagine working toward the opposite. What city are you in?

Back