Any Locksmiths on BITOG?

I installed Schlage F series door handles and keyed door handles in the house five years ago.
I had zero issue installing them and no usage issues until today.

This morning, the latch on the keyed handle on the entry door between the garage and the utility room literally came apart. I thought I'd go to Home Depot and purchase the correct sized latch and replace it.

Except, I cannot remove the door handle from either side.

I’ve switched the handles on some doors from left to right and vice versa at the initial install, so I’m familiar with using the “pin tool” to release the handle. Except it’s not releasing the handle to allow me to get at the screws.

I reviewed the online instructions from Schlage as well as too many you-tube videos. No joy.

I shouldn’t need to have the latch in the door to be able to release those handles, correct?

Ideas?

CC47DD62-F753-476D-B135-FCEFFFA31A17.jpeg

94DC7129-03D8-474E-9979-B64665A1C924.jpeg

6B028148-9CB6-4F68-9207-05E63D4E1883.jpeg

BE9BEA8F-CB3C-45CE-A4C8-69F34FA7459C.jpeg

Yep. Just like in the picture I posted. Insert key, turn, insert handle release “pin key.”

You may just need to use a little more force. The key cylinder can get stuck in the chassis after a few years and won't pull out as easily as the inside lever.

It is the inside that should be removed....if installed correctly.
Sometimes the hole doesn't line up just right.
I have found if you move the lever up and down a little you will find the right spot.

If you can see into the hole you put the pin in and move the lever, you can see when you have it right.

Not familiar.with door handles that don't have a screw on the one side. You couldn't find anything on YouTube or the manufacturers website?

I reviewed the online instructions from Schlage as well as too many you-tube videos. No joy.

Back