Any issue driving carbureted vehicle with choke pulled slightly out?

Recently picked up a 1961 Ford Falcon, 6 cylinder, with a manual choke. The vehicles runs well under load, but has issues with very low idle, stumbling, uneven. Hasn't stalled, but sometimes feels like a biscuit away from doing so. I've adjusted the carb idle screw with no real success. The carb has an external fuel leak, which I am sure doesn't help the idle. Future plans involve addressing that and a tune-up.

That said, if I pull the choke out slightly, it increases the idle enough to make it more comfortable to drive. By slightly I mean roughly 1/4 inch or so. If I were to drive like that are there any negative effects?

Probably not--if it needs it, then it needs it. Worst case is that it may foul plugs faster and burn more gas.

May want to dig into the carb and clean it out, maybe it's got garbage in it. Especially if it's leaking (ever see a car fire?).

Did you adjust the idle speed or idle mixture screw(s)? Maybe try the other one depending on which has already been done.

If this carb is anything like the 1-barrel Holley on a Chrysler slant-six, the refresh kit should be super-easy--assuming one is available.

If you have a fuel leak and you are unsure about the history of the carb, buy a carb kit and get it rebuilt. Installed by someone who knows how to rebuild a carb, odds are, this will solves all your problems. That, and a tune-up.

Fuel leak should be of high concern.

The vacuum advance system (if equipped) is important for idle and off-idle stability.

Carbs are a wear item... the throttle shaft for example is a good spot for a vacuum leak. Hose the thing down with brake cleaner when it's running, to see if the noise changes when you hit the leaky spot.

You should also put a vacuum gauge on the intake when you're messing with this-- a lot of times people set the idle too low and get all sorts of problems. Should aim for 21-22 inches or so. If you can't do it, you still have a vacuum leak somewhere-- intake manifold gasket etc.

I've put < $100 chinese carbs on my dodge plow truck and 66 Biscayne. They work great. Look on ebay and amazon.

You’ve got two problems, a fuel leak and a vacuum leak.

The fuel leak can lead to a fire, and with a mechanical pump, it may continue to run and pump fuel while it burns to the ground.

So, fix that.

ASAP

You also have a vacuum leak. Running with w bit of choke will richen what the leak leans out, but not consistently across the cylinders. So, some will run richer than others and suffer from increased wear due to fuel washing down the cylinder walls. Find that leak and fix it.

Get that bad-boy straightened out. Then tune it with a vacuum gauge.
I could make that thing run like a top.

Good luck and have fun with it.

Why on earth would you drive a vehicle with an active fuel leak? That’s a disaster waiting to happen for you and anyone around you.

A good starting point for the screws is all the way in then back off one and a half turns. good luck refreshing the carb, we stopped selling the kits, almost 10 years ago.

Back