Any info on John Deere 30 sec oil change filter??

rav

I recently purchased a 2018 John Deere E120 V-Twin 20HP (Briggs & Straton) 42" lawn mover. Looking at doing some maintenance on it, I started looking at the "JD 30 sec oil change" that is installed on it & did some research. It appears that this new "oil change system" comes with filter & oil in the unit. Easy to replace. However, I started checking & found that the mower holds approx. 2.8 qts of oil & the "new system" only has maybe 6-8 oz of oil in it. So, there's no way that you're actually changing the oil when installing a new unit. With this say, I am looking at adding the OLD type drain pipe & also removing the "30 min. oil change unit & adapter" & installing the 3/4"-16 threaded nipple so I can install a "normal" full size car oil filter. Can anyone give me the information on oil filters that will work with this mower after the conversion? I think I can use a Purolator PL10241 which is a PureOne. I like these because of there 99% filtration. However, the Relief Valve Opening Pressure is 12-18 PSI & I'm not sure if this will work on this engine.
Can anyone help me on this?

The engine can still be drained and filled. I would do this after about the first 10 hours. I would use the JD filter and 10W30 diesel oil. After that I would change the filter per the warranty and drain and fill the engine once a year until out of warranty. After that use any filter you want. One thing I do not know is if this is a bypass filter or full flow. Bypass the relief does not matter. If it is full flow you will have no oil to the bearings until It fills from the tiny oil pump. In that case I would use the JD filter. Once every year or 2 Maybe someone on here knows or you can research on your own.

Rod

You may have already come across this video, but if you haven't, it has the necessary part number for the conversion. I slowed down the video when he puts on the new oil filter, and he's using a PL10241 equivalent, so you're good to go. The info starts at 2:40.

I have a John Deere with a 20 HP B&S Intek engine. I use 10w30 T5 Synthetic blend oil and a B&S or Wix oil filter every 40-50 hours running time. ed

I am thinking about buying a 170 JD mower. What oil does it come with? A 10w-30? And if I keep using the 40.00 oil filter with oil in it, does it come with JD 10w-30 oil in it? I am in Arizona would a HDOE diesel oil work better here? Say a 15w-40 Delvac? If so, would I need to wait until the warranty is out? If I have to wait until the warranty is out, should I keep the "30 second oil change system" going until the warranty is out? If so, should I change out the other 2 quarts and just keep buying the 40.00 filter also? Thank You in advance! Bill PS I prefer changing out the system to where I drain the oil out and change the filter with a regular filter.

Originally Posted by Squirrelee
You may have already come across this video, but if you haven't, it has the necessary part number for the conversion. I slowed down the video when he puts on the new oil filter, and he's using a PL10241 equivalent, so you're good to go. The info starts at 2:40.

This! It's the conversion back to a normal oil filter is an easy and inexpensive change that will pay for itself immediately. The 30 second oil change is for people who don't want to get their hands dirty and and basically too ignorant to know how to properly maintain their equipment.

Air cooled OPE would likely work better/last longer with a 40 weight oil in high heat
conditions. August or the south west.
Rotella 15w-40 conventional or synthetic would do great for you.

My 2¢

Oil filter is Wix 51348, or if you have room, the longer 51516...

Oil I use is Shell Rotella T6, in 5W-40...

Back