Any Ham Radio Operators In BITOG?

I have been studying to take the test in the coming weeks. I am getting the license so that I can have a handheld in my Jeep when off-roading because you never know if you will have cell signal and things can happen.

What is your reason for getting a license?

I would suggest signing up to a forum called QRZ.com for specific questions; good luck with your upcoming test. (y)

Last edited:
Got my ticket in '93 after joining the amateur radio club in college. Fiddled around with shortwave radio and radio control in my electronics tinkering, but didn't know much about amateur radio until I joined the club. Mostly I just make a few contacts on HF, and actually passed the 13 WPM Morse code test back in the day before it was no longer required.

If you're concerned about cellular coverage, you may find you won't have much better luck hitting repeaters with an HT unless you know of some repeaters nearby. I've listened around on the 2 meter repeaters around here, and other than occasional club nets, it sounds pretty dead.

Good luck on the test! de N8YQM

I agree, I'd go to qrz. Occasionally I go over there, but I haven't had the radio bug for a few months now.

When I was in college in the 90's I was studying electronics, and I had always been intrigued by wireless communication. My timing coincided with Morse requirement being relaxed, so I was able to get through the licensees easily enough.

These days it's just the change of pace that will get me to turn on the radio. I like Morse code, it matches my style I guess (old and slow?). I can also mess around with some of the radio repairs, so the hobby is as expensive as I want to make (which is often not very).

Careful on just using an HT out in the woods. A short rubber duck of an antenna with a couple of watts might not take you very far, especially if you are in a low area with no repeater around.

I liked 2m FM while commuting, but activity seemed to die around here, and I've never made the jump to HF mobile.

Yes!

You'll find that a general class ticket is what you want as the HF bands are much more interesting and have much more traffic on them
VHF/UHF bands are not very popular anymore.

If you ever get your general class license stop by on 7.200 if you're east of the mississippi and say hello in the afternoon!
;)

Ive had interest from time to time. CB can sometimes be interesting on long solo road trips, I get it that it’s not HAM, but the barriers to entry are lower too.

I never had much patience for Morse code, and the issue with the radios is thst the antennas become a big issue for doing long range communication. Setting something up even in the attic won’t be that great. So all of a sudden you need a long, elevated antenna, and it just becomes more and more of a challenge.

Are you aware of how far a 2m HAM actually transmits at ground level and practical output power?

Ive had interest from time to time. CB can sometimes be interesting on long solo road trips, I get it that it’s not HAM, but the barriers to entry are lower too.

I never had much patience for Morse code, and the issue with the radios is thst the antennas become a big issue for doing long range communication. Setting something up even in the attic won’t be that great. So all of a sudden you need a long, elevated antenna, and it just becomes more and more of a challenge.

Are you aware of how far a 2m HAM actually transmits at ground level and practical output power?
You no longer need to know code to get your ticket! Even extra class licenses no longer require any ability at all, code is GONE from amateur licensing. Get your general class ticket, the test is easy to pass. Hear you on the air on HF in the future! (y)(y) :cool:

I have been studying to take the test in the coming weeks. I am getting the license so that I can have a handheld in my Jeep when off-roading because you never know if you will have cell signal and things can happen.

What is your reason for getting a license?
I got into it mainly because I have always had a general interest in electronics, but also because I commute though an area with no cell service that can be pretty nasty in the winter. At the advice of some local club members, I put installed a mobile VHF radio and roof mounted antenna on my vehicle. The difference in range and audio quality compared to a HT is night and day. I can easily hit repeaters 30 miles away.

Something else to keep in mind, if you want to communicate with others in your off-roading group - it might be difficult to get others to get their Ham license. GMRS has become a popular option for off-roading groups because there is no test required. CB is always an option as well, but the range is limited compared to Ham/GMRS.

I was a submarine radio man for 12 years. Operated a lot of different circuits and some pretty good equipment. Tried to get into the Ham radio thing but it just didn't work out. Think I had my fill of it in the Navy.

QRZ caught my interest. I will assume it is based of the Q and Z signals. We used those quiet a bit during my days in the Navy.

QRZ? means who is calling me in Morse code.

MURS (Multi Use Radio Service) is another option. CB is cheapest (no license/radios are cheap), GMRS requires a license in the US ($80.00 for 5 years), MURS is less restrictive (no license) but radios are hard to come by and HAM radio will soon have a license fee (in the US) and is primarily for the radio experimenter and the most expensive (radios/etc).

Started with listening to shortwave radio broadcasts in 1964 and later got my Novice ticket. At that time the Novice license expired in one year and I let mine laps. Licensed again in 1982.

I got into it mainly because I have always had a general interest in electronics, but also because I commute though an area with no cell service that can be pretty nasty in the winter. At the advice of some local club members, I put installed a mobile VHF radio and roof mounted antenna on my vehicle. The difference in range and audio quality compared to a HT is night and day. I can easily hit repeaters 30 miles away.

Something else to keep in mind, if you want to communicate with others in your off-roading group - it might be difficult to get others to get their Ham license. GMRS has become a popular option for off-roading groups because there is no test required. CB is always an option as well, but the range is limited compared to Ham/GMRS.
I did see the HT could be connected to an external antenna and I will likely start with an HT, but then get a small mounted unit. As with everything else, theft is a concern if the unit is visible, but I am sure that I can mount it in a way that it can be easily removed if needed. I am a green novice for sure, but I have seen GMRS in the Jeep groups so I need to learn a bit about that too.

In our local club we have two repeaters, one on VHF and one on UHF. Our ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) usually uses the VHF repeater for Emergency services and is used primarily for weather spotting. I have tracked four tornadoes so far and have never been out of range with Net Control, using my Icom-V8000 at 75 watts. My radius of storm tracking activities takes me across 5 counties with a radius of 50 miles.

For extended travels I use the simplex VHF calling frequency of 146.520 and have made many contacts from Wisconsin to Tenn.

I also carry an AM/SSB CB with me but CB for the most part is void of any activity these days.

My main ARS activity however is HF on the 80, 40, and 20 meter bands.

I started the hobby by SWLing when in grade school, then received my amateur Novice and Radio Telephone First Class with Radar Endorsement (commercial) licenses while in High School.

it is an interesting technical hobby with the advantage of meeting many new friends.

Addendum:

When the Derecho hit our area last August with straight line winds of 130 mph and 4 embedded tornadoes, we were one of the few comm links available for emergency services since most cell services were out for 3-5 days. We gave a local radio station a temporary transceiver so they could broadcast blocked roads, downed power lines, and medical needs, information provided by our on-site members.

Last edited:
Greetings! I was first licensed in 1971 as a Novice Class Amateur Radio operator while in grade school, then upgraded to a General Class about 18 months later. I currently hold an Extra Class License. I got involved with ham radio because I like to tinker with electronics and to provide public service communications in times of need to my community.

73, de WB0EGR

My dad "w5LRI" was a ham all of his adult life. He wanted me to get my licence. He made me study code which I never did catch onto.

I never had any interest and he finally gave up trying to teach me. In my 20's I got into CB.

We used it on jeep trips and before cell phones CB was very popular in my area. Now CB has mostly died here.

A few years ago my wife and I considered getting licensed. Mainly so that I could claim my dad's old call sign.

She never could make any sense out of the study guide. I have an ok grasp on it from my dad trying to teach me @8 yrs old and my CB background.

Bam! Took the test tonight and passed. Now to go down the rabbit hole with hardware.

Congrats. Good luck.

I’d set up a budget, and... expect your tastes to change. I’d go slow until you know for sure what you want, unless if you think the expenditure is small beans. Some people enjoy buying new, using for a bit, then trading out (at a loss of course), which is their prerogative but for some, they might get bummed to spend “a lot” of money only to not like it, or to want something yet better.

While I’m no fan of the Baefeng HT’s they are too cheap to not get one. Personally I think almost any other HT is better, albeit more expensive. In a vehicle a full size radio is much better than an HT, assuming one can find a spot to put it. Remote heads can go a long ways here.

Back