Any good motor mounts for my 91 Grand Am?

+2

I bought an Anchor mount only to find the mounting holes weren't right to mount it on my car. Evidently the GM Ecotecs varied from year to year, or auto vs. manual, or 2.2 vs. 2.4..... I never did find out what made some of them different.

The real eye-opener was the way the parts stores priced them seemingly at random. Autozone priced theirs at something like $89, Advance wanted $135 and Pep Boys a staggering $238! Or some such nonsense. It was crazy.
I bought the first set from Rockauto and it cost more to send them back then they were new so I didn't bother. The second set for her car we just bought at the local auto parts store. I had to use a pry bar to get the bolt holes for the front mount to line up on both cars. Quality control is non-existent.

Three different L4 engines for one car?
Probably not all in the same year..... 1991 was just the Iron Duke and the Quad 4 if I remember right. The 3.0 V6 and the smaller OHC 4-cylinder from the Turbo Sunbird were no longer offered.

I have plenty of experience with the cheap Rock Auto mounts. As most have pointed out, they have always proven (to me) to be inferior to OE. However, my choice of mounts often boils down to ease of replacement. If they're an easy swap I have no real qualms with the aftermarket mounts...I just have to replace them more frequently. All the mounts on my '86 Daytona are a snap to replace, so I have three Anchor mounts on there now. Ditto the front mount on my '05 Caravan (replaced three times since new). If they're a pain to replace I'll go with OE and do the job once.

On most FWD setups the left and right mounts mostly support the engine and trans, while the front and rear mounts are there to control torsional rotation and subsequently work a bit harder, often requiring more frequent replacement.

My $0.02.

Three different L4 engines for one car?
For 91 I believe they had a 150 hp Quad4, 180 HP HO Quad4 and my Tech4,

IMG_9285.JPG

For 91 I believe they had a 150 hp Quad4....
Ah yes the "LO" (low output) Quad 4 as we called it, rightly or not I don't know.

Are you going to sell that car? It was a creampuff if I remember right from the earlier thread. And it's a 2-door too! I would scoop that up in a flash if I was local and in the market. I may be behind the times but I miss the 2-doors.

Are you going to sell that car? It was a creampuff if I remember right from the earlier thread. And it's a 2-door too! I would scoop that up in a flash if I was local and in the market. I may be behind the times but I miss the 2-doors.
Yes, I'm detailing it this week. Maybe Bring A Trailer or Cars and Bids. Delivery can always be worked in a deal. :ROFLMAO:

I remember watching a video one day that I think was a guy in India or Pakistan, that was trying to reseal a used oil filled OE mount on something because the aftermarket mounts are all so horrible and getting the OE part in that part of the world is often financially infeasible.

Yes, I'm detailing it this week. Maybe Bring A Trailer or Cars and Bids. Delivery can always be worked in a deal. :ROFLMAO:

If you throw it on either of these, let us know! I drool over the cars on C's & B's and BaT all the time!

Back