Any GM 3800's use 5 qts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'll get slammed for for this but I use a Zippy Lube for my oil changes, I have my reasons. I know the guy that works there and trust him but last time he was not there. Long story short when I checked the oil level later on it was about an inch and a half over the full mark. I went back and had him remove some and get it closer to the full level. His excuse was that some 3800's take 5 qts. Both my series 1 and 2 engines have called for 4.5 qts.

First questions is would a half qt take it that full over the full mark? I'm wondering if the machine they use could of put in more that it should.

Second question is do some 3800's take 5 qts?

I know from searching that some of you always over fill your 3800's and say it won't hurt anything but I'm just not comfortable with it, wasn't making me feel warm and fuzzy.

I have been taking in my own filter so I decided since this happened I'm going to start taking in my own oil. They only charge $20 if you do this.

I always put 5 quarts in my 2005 3800. It registers a hair above the full mark. You have to look very close to see the 'hair' if you get what I mean.

My Impala 3800 takes 4.5 quarts of oil. Putting in 5 qts might put it 1/4" or a little more over the full mark, but not the amount you had. I have never heard any 3800's take any more than 4.5 quarts.

I have seen where the pre set filling machines that do fleet work had the dial set on a large engine and when they did a car, too much oil went in. Actually it was on a brand new Chevy V8 van and it was 2 quarts over, which was about 2" above the full mark on that one. The service tech had it on 8 instead of 6. I drained it out at work and it was fine.

I had 5 qts. put into my GM 3800 every six months for nearly 7 years. No problems. (I was surprised to see in the owner's manual that the "official" capacity was 4.5 qts.)

My 94 Bonneville 3.8 takes 4.5 qts - I always put in 5 - no big deal. It's certainly not an inch and a half over the full mark. Your quicklube likely put in 6 qts. My buddy has an 08 Impala that takes 4 qts - his last visit to a Quick Lube resulted in 6 qts added. He checked before he left, dipstick read way over - and they redid the change - they thought he had a V8.

He put in more than 5 quarts.

I can't believe there's people on this forum that take their car to a quick lube for oil changes
37.gif

On our 3.8 I always put in five qts. I also do the same in our 3.4. It burns a half qt by 4,000 miles so it works out pretty good.

I owned a 2001 Grand Prix with the 3800 and most of the time I put in 4.5 qts. In the last 2 years or so I owned it I put in 5 qts because it always (since new) used a little (1 qt in 7500 miles) and then I didn't need to add some so soon. I started this after seeing so many people putting in 5 qts here on BITOG. It would be slightly over the full mark, but not much. It would take quite a bit more oil I would think to make it that high on the dip stick. It was definitely more than 5 qts. The engine in my Grand Prix was running like new at 230k miles when I gave it away.

I looked at the dip stick again at lunch to make sure I was looking at it right and an inch and half is fairly close. It was actually about a half inch below were it starts to twist. Usually its an eight or quarter inch over full, I just figured there was that much still coating the engine.

So far I'm gathering that there is no manual out there for a 3800 that calls for 5 qts, it just some of you prefer to put in more.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr
I looked at the dip stick again at lunch to make sure I was looking at it right and an inch and half is fairly close. It was actually about a half inch below were it starts to twist. Usually its an eight or quarter inch over full, I just figured there was that much still coating the engine.

So far I'm gathering that there is no manual out there for a 3800 that calls for 5 qts, it just some of you prefer to put in more.
Right, Id drain a qt and see where you are.

Originally Posted By: Duffyjr

Try the Quick Lane oil change place at your nearest Ford Dealer. I take the Toyota there and get the same guy each time since I always pull up to the same door. Always right on the full mark.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
He put a lot more than 5 qts. in if it was over the full mark by 1 1/2".

Agreed.

I have had multiple GM 3.1's and 3.4's that also took 4.5 quarts, I generally just dump in 5 and be done with it, and they are nowhere near 1.5" over the full mark on the stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back