Any Fountain Pen Enthusiasts Here?

I have far too many interests, but one of those is in fountain pens. Just like anything else, they can be an addicting path to go down and can drain you of money surprisingly quickly.

I've been using them daily for about 10 years now, but have had periods of going in and out of heavy acquisition of pens and/or ink.

For the last 5 years or so, my main daily writer has been a Montblanc 146(late 80s production) filled for a while with Montblanc Midnight Blue pre-formula change(they got rid of the iron gall and made it a non-permanent ink in 2012ish) or Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black. I consider the 146 a nearly perfect pen-perfect size, weight, and balance, and I consider MB nibs almost universally excellent.

Needless to say, though, I'm a bit of a Montblanc nut and it's the single best represented brand I have. I have come to particularly enjoy Montblanc's large oblique nibs, and the past month or so my go-to pen at least for now(and usually with a dark blue ink made by the guy who developed the Penman inks for Parker and is intended to mimic Parker Penman Sapphire, something it accomplishes nearly dead-on) has been a Montblanc 149 OB.

More recently, I've also been bitten by the Parker bug. I mostly have vintage Parkers-primarily Vacumatics and Duofolds, but also some obligatory "51"s mixed in(I have an OB 51 in the mail to me). My kick lately has been capillary filling 61s, a somewhat polarizing pen that fascinates me, and I've had good luck buying "dead" ones on Ebay for next to nothing and managing to get them working again without much more than a glass of water and a lot of patience(I can spend 2-3 weeks soaking a bad one with water changes a couple of times a day, but eventually they all come to life). I do have one modern Parker, a Duofold Centennial "Big Red" that's a fantastic pen.

Does anyone else here collect and/or use these relics from another time? If you do, what are some favorites of yours, and of course I'm also obligated to ask about a favorite ink or favorite inks.

I wouldn't say I ever had a good quality one, but I really enjoyed writing with fountain pens in high school. I'm sure my teachers didn't particurlarly care for it since they would always bleed through. But the penmanship was very good!

I’ve used Fountain Pens before. I just prefer ball point pens a pen isn’t anything I think about a whole lot but it definitely is something that’s cool to collect if that’s what you like.

I’m a fan, used them extensively through college. Now I can barely write my own name, I type so much...

I wouldn't say I ever had a good quality one, but I really enjoyed writing with fountain pens in high school. I'm sure my teachers didn't particurlarly care for it since they would always bleed through. But the penmanship was very good!
My writing always looked like crap but I did like these pens.

I know we have some watch guys here, and there's a lot of overlap between the two hobbies. Thought I might get more interest than this.

In any case, a couple of recent acquisitions:

Parker "51" with OB nib
Sailor 1911L(almost identical externally to a Montblanc 146, but without the snowflake on top) with a 21K B nib
Parker Duofold Centennial "Big Red" in fine-this one really has been a favorite, and I would ALMOST be happy using it entirely in place of a Montblanc 146

There are some makers in India making not really bespoke but highly customizable pens to order. Last week, I bought a Ranga 9B-their "Giant" size pen-in an elaborate patter Ebonite. This is my first try from the company, but I suspect I will be buying more. I'm not sure how I'll take to the 9B-the body is supposed to be about the size of an MB 149, but has a pronounce step down to the section. They have other models that have a more conventional profile. They use off the shelf German nibs-I opted for Bock steel on this, but my next will likely be an 18K Gold Bock.

Also on the way-a Soennecken 100 in BB and a Pelikan 400NN in OB.

Back