Any F-150 problems?

Originally Posted by Cujet
I have 3 F150's. The V8, the 3.5L EB and the 2.7EB. All are Supercrew.

The 2.7 with 10sp is an absolute gem. Love it. It's the most sporty and the fastest of the three. It also gets the best MPG. The 10sp transmission has no operational issues that I can detect, so I'm not sure what "excessive freeplay" the poster above is referring to. All tow very well, but the turbocharged engines clearly tow better, especially on long hills.

140K on the V8, 100K on the 3.5 and 20K on the 2.7. None have experienced any issues what so ever, and we don't treat them gently.

Fact is, I need a car, and I like these things so much, I'm thinking of purchasing another.... ugh.

How do you like the 3.5L specifically? I drove the 2.7L and the 3.5L back to back and honestly I couldn't tell much of a difference. It was just a test drive and I didn't get above 65 mph. I could try to find the 2.7L but most of the higher end trucks in my area have the 3.5L.

I have a 2019 Raptor with 7,xxx miles on it so far. I love the truck and the only issue so far is the driver mirror clicks sometimes when I remote start it. I've seen other comments about that on the Raptor forum but I haven't taken it in yet. The 10speed, 4.10s and HO 3.5 Ecoboost make this thing a blast to drive. I'm using 93 octane and averaging 14.5-15 mpg with very little highway driving. That is hand calculated. The computer is about 1 mpg optimistic. I'm doing 3,500 OCIs with Mobil 1 and a Mobil 1 filter until I get 10k on it. Then I'll go to 5k OCIs and send a sample to Blackstone at that point. I don't usually keep vehicles more than a couple years but am planning on keeping this one for 5+ assuming no major problems and will likely get an extended warranty thru Flood Ford before 3yrs/36k with all the electronic stuff on the truck.

Speaking of the GM 8 speed, my wife has a 2017 Yukon XL Denali that we took in for the trans shudder issue a few months ago. They changed the fluid and that appears to have fixed it so far. She has 51k on hers. Good luck with what whatever you end up doing.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by glock19

How do you like the 3.5L specifically? I drove the 2.7L and the 3.5L back to back and honestly I couldn't tell much of a difference.

The 2.7 revs higher. That makes it more fun in sport mode, and due to the higher revs, it sounds better. More like a race car. The 3.5 sounds like a UPS truck at low RPM. But really other than that, I like 'em both. I like the mid range grunt of the 3.5, it will pull harder at 2500-3000 RPM, which is amazingly pleasant when pulling into traffic, as the acceleration seems effortless.

But I don't drive under the bridge listening to the exhaust pipe with the windows down all that often.. OK, well maybe I do a little....

The V8 is absolutely the smoothest and the most pleasant sounding. It's also the slowest, but at least it uses the most gas
smile.gif

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
Speaking of the GM 8 speed, my wife has a 2017 Yukon XL Denali that we took in for the trans shudder issue a few months ago. They changed the fluid and that appears to have fixed it so far. She has 51k on hers. Good luck with what whatever you end up doing.

Did she just have the shudder, or did she also have hesitation upshifting and hard downshifts?

While the new fluid helped some, I still have all 3 issues. I'm wondering if it was too late by the time the fluid was changed. It's possible that a new torque converter and new fluid would solve my issues (I'm not sure if I can convince the dealer to do that).

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

Did she just have the shudder, or did she also have hesitation upshifting and hard downshifts?

While the new fluid helped some, I still have all 3 issues. I'm wondering if it was too late by the time the fluid was changed. It's possible that a new torque converter and new fluid would solve my issues (I'm not sure if I can convince the dealer to do that).

She just had a shudder. We had left it parked for 2 weeks at the airport over the summer and it was there basically right when we drove it home from the airport. I had never noticed it before and have no idea why sitting for 2 weeks would cause it. It was hot and humid as it was August in St. Louis, but who knows. I also have the 8 speed in my Corvette, it only has 5,000 miles on it and no issues so far.

Check out f150forum.com and go to the 2015+ sub-forum. With the 3.5 therecare not a lot of issues reported, the 5.0 is most problematic. 2.7 seems most trouble free.

Lots of problems with the moon roof leaking so avoid that if you can. IWE issues are common. Frozen door latch problem common, though I have not had it over two years while living in WI (I put penetrating oil and lithium grease on latches right away).

Originally Posted by wallyuwl
Check out f150forum.com and go to the 2015+ sub-forum. With the 3.5 therecare not a lot of issues reported, the 5.0 is most problematic. 2.7 seems most trouble free.

Lots of problems with the moon roof leaking so avoid that if you can. IWE issues are common. Frozen door latch problem common, though I have not had it over two years while living in WI (I put penetrating oil and lithium grease on latches right away).

Thanks, the only issue that worries me is the moon roof leaking. The Platinum I'm looking at has the twin panel moon roof.

In general the F150 is quite reliable. Doesn't mean the exact one you get will be. Like the GM 8 speed issues, some get it and many do not have it at all. The only one mine does is the harsh 1st shift when its cold, no big deal at all. My 6.2 8 speed truck has like 76k miles on it now and GMC has zero record of any warranty work or services on it.

Originally Posted by wallyuwl

Thanks, the only issue that worries me is the moon roof leaking. The Platinum I'm looking at has the twin panel moon roof.

Let see-don't know about the F150s-cause I haven't looked it up, however sunroof/moonroofs leaks generally have not been widespread for the last 30 years-and when there are issues -it's usually plugged up (with pollen or other things) drain holes. Vehicles (again generally) have so much more structurally integrity that the leaking moon roofs of the 70's are nothing but a distance memory.

I find it hard to believe those problems are widespread even on an F150.

Last edited:
The moonroof thing is real. The fact that I stock moonroof frames for those F-150s says a lot. The crew cab ones are the worst, there is an updated number that requires new motors as well.

A friend has a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 and loves it. He is a contractor and pulls a very heavy tandem trailer with a lot of equipment in it. He also pulls a 28 ft camper with ease. The truck has 140K and has had no problems with the drivetrain and He has his oil changes done at a local Ford dealer every 5-7K. I would assume MC 5-30 and MC filters.

Originally Posted by CKN
Let see-don't know about the F150s-cause I haven't looked it up, however sunroof/moonroofs leaks generally have not been widespread for the last 30 years-and when there are issues -it's usually plugged up (with pollen or other things) drain holes.

After checking out the F150 forums, it seems like the drain hoses coming disconnected is pretty common. It's a pretty easy fix to reconnect them with a zip tie.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
The moonroof thing is real. The fact that I stock moonroof frames for those F-150s says a lot. The crew cab ones are the worst, there is an updated number that requires new motors as well.

This is the issue I'm concerned with. I'm not a huge moon roof guy anyways so it probably won't get much use, but it looks like keeping it lubricated regularly can help.

Originally Posted by tig1
A friend has a 2014 F150 with the 3.5 and loves it. He is a contractor and pulls a very heavy tandem trailer with a lot of equipment in it. He also pulls a 28 ft camper with ease. The truck has 140K and has had no problems with the drivetrain and He has his oil changes done at a local Ford dealer every 5-7K. I would assume MC 5-30 and MC filters.

Good to hear. At the rate that I drive I wouldn't hit 140k for at least 14-15 years.

I have 2016 eco that has 70k miles on it ,it has been tuned since week after I got it , mechanically no problems . Mine is lariat with moonroof ,and obviously this leaked ,fixed under warranty , leather seats are poor quality ,that was fixed under warranty ,same as navigation screen . So typical ford issues , mechanically perfect .
I also own 2018Mustang GT with 10 speed , and I like this car quite a bit ,but honestly 10speed auto is the worst part of the car ,and I believe that new f150 have exactly the same tranny .
It is jerky and unsophisticated , works the best in sport mode when you are driving wheels off of it , in regular traffic can be extremely annoying

Originally Posted by bdcardinal

This is the issue I'm concerned with. I'm not a huge moon roof guy anyways so it probably won't get much use, but it looks like keeping it lubricated regularly can help.

My mom's Fusion has a moonroof and even though they rarely, if ever fail, I keep it lubed and the drains clear. I would never have a moonroof on a truck after selling so many tracks. We did an Edge one with the pano roof and it was like 8 grand for the track
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by irekm
I have 2016 eco that has 70k miles on it ,it has been tuned since week after I got it , mechanically no problems . Mine is lariat with moonroof ,and obviously this leaked ,fixed under warranty , leather seats are poor quality ,that was fixed under warranty ,same as navigation screen . So typical ford issues , mechanically perfect .
I also own 2018Mustang GT with 10 speed , and I like this car quite a bit ,but honestly 10speed auto is the worst part of the car ,and I believe that new f150 have exactly the same tranny .
It is jerky and unsophisticated , works the best in sport mode when you are driving wheels off of it , in regular traffic can be extremely annoying

If I end up getting this truck I'll be sure to check the drains preemptively.

It's interesting that you have issues with the 10 speed. Most of the F-150 issues with the 10 speed that I've read on the forums seem to be with the 5.0L. I wonder if that's a coincidence.

Depending on where you live moon/sunroofs can and will have problems on almost any vehicle. Up here in this awful corner of the country in the PNW where it is wet almost all year the water finds its way into everything, i make it a rule to avoid roofs with holes if possible, more trouble than they're worth.

I've had moonroof leaks and problems in my Lexus, my old 4th gen 4runner, Honda, and BMW. The only one (knock on wood) that has never given me trouble is the Mercedes, but being a 2 door with more structural rigidity may help? I don't know, but in a few years I may be looking at a current gen F150 with the 5.0 most likely and will make it a point to NOT get one without a solid roof

I have the 2.7 w/ 10 speed in a base model XL 4x4 with stx sport pkg, 3.55 locking rear differential, and some other stuff, super cab not crew (clam shell rear doors). The drivetrain is fine, the 10 speed just seemed to have a break-in period of about 2000 miles before the shifts smoothed out. The main shift thing and it's common with this transmission, was the 3rd-to-4th gear shift when the trans was cold would hesitate momentarily. The consensus on the ecoboosts is 5000 mile oil changes with a either the Motorcraft synblend or a full synthetic. That is mainly a preventative on timing chain wear.

Be advised if you get the halogen headlights, they aren't very impressive, common complaint.

Originally Posted by irekm

If I end up getting this truck I'll be sure to check the drains preemptively.

It's interesting that you have issues with the 10 speed. Most of the F-150 issues with the 10 speed that I've read on the forums seem to be with the 5.0L. I wonder if that's a coincidence.

I have observed it is the elder demographic just can not stand an AT with more than 4 speeds. Anything more to than 4 is "newfangled".

Originally Posted by dave1251

I have observed it is the elder demographic just can not stand an AT with more than 4 speeds. Anything more to than 4 is "newfangled".

Well, not this soon to be 57 yr old elder, lol. I'm pretty happy and amazed by the combo of the twin turbo and 10 speed in my humble base model extended cab. It's stupid quick for a pickup truck, and always in the sweet spot of the power band thanks to the 10R80.

My brother bought a new 19' F150 with a 5.0. Said he can hear the transmission whine, checked into it and it's supposedly normal.

Back