Any end-of-year deals expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about buying a new 2011 Toyota Prius and was wondering if I can expect any good end-of-the-year deals this fall from Toyota. I bought a new 2010 Corolla in January of this year and I got almost $3500.00 off the sticker price. Hope to do the same for Prius. Anyone knows if any deals are coming up?

Thanks!

Word is that Toyota has some pretty big sales and financing incentives planned for the next couple of months. A final push to turn around their lagging numbers in NA and regain some market share.

Even if they have national deals going on, watch your local stock closely. Even if they begin offering $3,000 off MSRP on 2011 Prius models, if your local dealers don't have any 2011s left, you'll have a much harder time getting one. In other words, most of the stock (even regionally) may be gone before they start offering door-busters.

Originally Posted By: dkrivosheyev
I know, I had to drive 5 hrs out of state to get a good deal on my corolla

Mind telling us the deals you were offered in state vs the out of state deal you bought?

Originally Posted By: MrCritical

Mind telling us the deals you were offered in state vs the out of state deal you bought?

I think he got $3500 off msrp and drove 5 hrs out of state.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Even if they have national deals going on, watch your local stock closely. Even if they begin offering $3,000 off MSRP on 2011 Prius models, if your local dealers don't have any 2011s left, you'll have a much harder time getting one. In other words, most of the stock (even regionally) may be gone before they start offering door-busters.

Around me they had very few Cruzes and even fewer Ecos when I went looking about 6 weeks ago. I traveled 2 hours away to a larger city for a deal on mine since the local dealers were holding out for far more than what I wanted to pay. I ended up getting a fair deal on mine thanks to being willing to travel on a weekday at the end of the month. Giving up a day's vacation time saved me thousands compared to dealing locally.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

$3500 off MSRP vs???

And on the Cruze, how do you save thousands on a vehicle with $1000 or less markup? Are some dealer's keeping $2000 dealer cash that isn't listed in incentives to themselves, while others are not?

Confused.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

$3500 off MSRP vs???

And on the Cruze, how do you save thousands on a vehicle with $1000 or less markup? Are some dealer's keeping $2000 dealer cash that isn't listed in incentives to themselves, while others are not?

Confused.

Cheapest I could find around me was $22k out the door, while mine was under $20k out the door due to a big metro area dealer wanting to move a car quickly before I dealt with one of the 4 other large Chevrolet dealers in the area.

The local dealers basically told me, "That's our price, pay it or walk." I walked.

Last edited:
Just wondering how the big metro dealer was able to offer over $2k less for the exact same car with less than $2k markup on it.

Not saying it didn't happen, mind you. Was there a trade involved? Metro, small town, it doesn't matter. They all pay the same price for the car.

Just wondering how the big metro dealer was able to offer over $2k less for the exact same car with less than $2k markup on it.

Not saying it didn't happen, mind you. Was there a trade involved? Metro, small town, it doesn't matter. They all pay the same price for the car.

The place I got it from had every inch of their lot crowded with new vehicles, so I'm guessing they work on volume of sales instead of markup on each sale. There were a LOT of other people around buying new cars when I was buying mine. From what my salesperson told me, they were trying to reach a certain volume of vehicles that month. This was a marked change from the local dealers who had plenty of idle sales staff when I set foot into the door.

Also, my car wasn't on their lot very long. They got it off the truck, did the PDI, then I drove it off the lot 4 days later with 7 miles on the odometer. 2 of those days were me waiting for my vacation day to pick it up. I didn't order it, they happened to have just received it when I was contacting them. I guess it was a set of fortuitous circumstances all around that led to me getting the car for substantially less than anybody around me.

The dealer who had had the car on the lot the longest would be the most incentivized to move it-interest rate the dealer pays goes up the longer it sits.

Who wants to sell a car more, the dealer with salespeople sitting around, or the one doing a lot of business? I can't answer that question.

Having over 30 years in the auto business from parts gofer to general manager, everytime someone says they saved $2000 on a car with $1000 or less markup (and domestic dealers all pay the same for their vehicles) with no trade, I have to say hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back