any dino oil have same add pack as GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious... is there any other dino oil out there which has the same or similar additive package that German Castrol does? That is all
smile.gif

Alas, AudiJunkie, you guessed wrong
smile.gif

I'm thinking of saving a little dough in the summer by running a mostly dino/some GC blend, and was wondering if there was any dino oil out there with a compatible add pack.

quote:

Originally posted by bigpaulo:
smile.gif

I'm thinking of saving a little dough in the summer by running a mostly dino/some GC blend, and was wondering if there was any dino oil out there with a compatible add pack.

I don't think anyone on here would consider that a sensible strategy. If you need to save money and you're not in an application that NEEDS a synthetic, you could probably get better performance from a lower-cost oil than you could by blending GC with something else. And that way, you could KNOW that the resulting additive package was one that an honest to God tribologist actually engineered to work in someone's car.
If you would like to share your application with us (Vehicle, Brand, Model, Year, Motor, Geographic Location, Trip and Driving Type) I'm certain there'd be no shortage of people willing to offer proven but cheaper alternatives to running GC.
That being said, if you're driving a vehicle that requires synthetic (like certain years of Corvette), then there may not be a cheaper alternative to GC... at least if you get it on sale.

There is no shame in admitting "I don't know the answer to this question" rather than give dire warnings about blending oils
smile.gif

Seriously folks, I have a late model Subaru, and by all accounts, it's one of the easiest-on-oil engines around. However, I do like synthetic oil... I'm an engineer and a sucker
smile.gif
I know that I can get perfectly great service out of, say, Pennzoil or Castrol GTX 5W30 year round, but those **** elves wouldn't leave me alone
smile.gif

Since my Subaru tends to have fantastic oil results, I figure I can forgo full synth in the summer for a synth/dino blend.

Are you asserting that homemade synthetic blends have no place in these forums? My hypothesis is that a homemade synth/dino blend is functionally an improvement over pure dino, which someone here must be able to show either from UOAs or from tribological principles.

There... I've laid down my challenge... *someone* on BITOG must be able to confirm or refute my hypothesis!

quote:

smile.gif

I vote for the HDEO oils. I am currently running 5.5qts of Motorcraft 15W-40 and 1qt of Redline 10W-30. Cleaning ability with esters and friction modification......for less that $17

quote:

Are you asserting that homemade synthetic blends have no place in these forums? My hypothesis is that a homemade synth/dino blend is functionally an improvement over pure dino, which someone here must be able to show either from UOAs or from tribological principles.

No such thin as additive clash and/or other wives tales, as long as you run reputable products from reputable blenders. Slick 50, Z-Max, Duralube and the like are NOT reputable!

Check out my report and check out the concotion (scroll down)that produced that report. Judge for yourself.

quote:

I don't think anyone would be able to tell for sure up front if a make your own blend will work better than just selecting a better dino to start out.

I guess one way to find out would be to do a few UOA's of your homemade blend vs. the unblended dino but wouldn't buying something you know to be better oil in the first place be cheaper?

That's brings me to my real question about this. What's the point? For each change the savings couldn't be more than $5 or $10...

[ November 07, 2004, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back