Any difference between CrossOver vs. Sedan tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the OEM tires on my Mercedes GLK350 4Matic are listed as the [cenored] Dunlop Grandtrek Touring A/S (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season) on Tire Rack.

I wanted to upsize from the 20" tires from OEM 235/45/20 to 245/45/20 which will take a
1) Reason being a bit taller sidewall to to protect the wheels
2) More tire choices in the latter size
3) Better quality tires choices

Looking @ tires listed in the Sedan category. Is this ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
As is the case with oil, the question is one of spec...

Does Tire Rack show the load or speed range on the tires?

Your change in sidewall height is small...about 1/4" (10mm increase in section width, 45% aspect ratio = 4.5mm sidewall change...) but it's enough to change the speedo a hair as you noted while not really changing the impact protection.

The real key is ensuring that the load range and speed range are correct. SUVs often have XL load tires...and I bet yours does too...

Why not go with the Pirelli Scorpions Zero Asimetricos in your exact size? They're $100 apiece cheaper...and better rated...and they are XL load and H speed rated with twice the tire wear rating...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Your change in sidewall height is small...about 1/4" (10mm increase in section width, 45% aspect ratio = 4.5mm sidewall change...) but it's enough to change the speedo a hair as you noted while not really changing the impact protection.

The real key is ensuring that the load range and speed range are correct. SUVs often have XL load tires...and I bet yours does too...

Why not go with the Pirelli Scorpions Zero Asimetricos in your exact size? They're $100 apiece cheaper...and better rated...and they are XL load and H speed rated with twice the tire wear rating...

Thanks astro14, will look into the load details.
But from recalling the other night when I was pondering this, it looked like some of the sedan tires I was looking at were able to handle more poundage load wise than the Dunlops..some with max load as much as 400 lbs more!

is that what you mean?

Yep, that would definitely be the thing to check.....been a while since I been on the tire rack site, but if it's anything like the Discount Tire Direct site, it "SHOULD" list only tires that are EQUAL to or GREATER than the manufacturer spec'd load, and speed rating.....

But that's just me; I would not deviate from those values (i.e.: go below.....sure, go up a speed rating, no problem there, but definitely don't go lower).

except you cant compare UTQG wear ratings between manufacturers only in the same manufacturer's line of tires

ie Yokohama 300 wear might be hankook 400 wear rating.
its not compatible as they all use a different "base tire"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
they all use a different "base tire"

Point of order: The reference tire is the same. It's just that they're allowed a lot of leeway in interpreting the test results.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: Rand
they all use a different "base tire"

Point of order: The reference tire is the same. It's just that they're allowed a lot of leeway in interpreting the test results.

Let me second this. The reference tire is the same regardless of who does the test. The problem is that they can't always use it, so they will reference an in between tire that is referenced to the base tire - and if they can conduct multple test, they will obvious not get the same result. So there is lots of wiggle room.

- BUT -

A tire matked 600 can be compared to a tire marked 400 with confidence that they are different. What you shouldn't have confidence in is comparing a 520 with a 540 or a 560 - too close!

OK - and now to the question originally posed - Cross-over vs Sedan tires! And while I am at it, I'll address SUV tires.

On every vehicle, there is a vehicle tire placard that lists the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size - on that vehicle. It doesn't matter who makes that tire, that pressure is appropriate for the vehicle - beacuse tire sizing is standardized worldwide. There is a slight difference in the 3 main sizng systems, but the differences are SLIGHT. For practical purposes, they can be considered the same.

Yes, different tires can result in a different feel. Some will be designed for a softer ride, while others will be designed for crisper handling, but that is a function of the tire itself. While changing the inflation pressure can change the way a vehicle feels, this is NOT an indication that the pressure listed on the placard isn't correct.

If you were to group tire sizes by the application - say sizes used on sedans vs ones used on cross-overs, vs ones used on SUV's, you'd find that there is very little overlap. SUV's tend to use higher aspect ratios, cross-overs use slight lower aspect ratios, and sedans, lower still - again, with very little overlap.

Tire manufacturers can sort this all out by using a reference such as Tire Guides, that summarizes the tire size by vehicle.

Will tire manufacturers tune their tires to these applications? Somewhat, but because the tire size is different, it naturally sorts itself out.

Some tire manufacturers will advertise a certain tire line as being for cross-overs or for SUV's, but that is more advertising hype than anything else.

So if you are looking for a tire for your vehicle, I'd advise you NOT to pay much attention to that sort of advertising hype.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

Some tire manufacturers will advertise a certain tire line as being for cross-overs or for SUV's, but that is more advertising hype than anything else.

So if you are looking for a tire for your vehicle, I'd advise you NOT to pay much attention to that sort of advertising hype.

Thanks capriracer & every1 else.

What I am seeing as a consensus is that there:

1) really no material differences between SUV vs. Sedans tires in terms of application & customization
2) pay attention to recommended to tire size & load spec for my vehicle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back