Any benefits to lifting hood in hot weather?

Better yet open the hood and spray the engine down with cold water. Works great on iron blocks and maifolds. If its a turbo motor make sure you spray down the turbo so it doesn't cook the oil. 🤪

(Note for the potentially uninformed reader - this is satire, please don’t do this!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Modern cars are designed to handle hot weather. Unless you talking about temperatures outside of typical (and no, Dallas in July is within design temps), the cooling system will handle it. Don't over think it. Modern cars are designed to handle hot weather.

Basically. IMO, you're reducing wear on the engine by keeping it closer to the operating temperature if you restart it, you're saving yourself time and hassle, and you're saving wear on the hood latch. There is no harm in letting the engine sit there, at or near its operating temperature. If it needed to cool off faster after shutdown, engineers would have designed it that way. At the end of the day, it's not a human or an animal, it doesn't "feel hot", it's a machine that was designed to operate a certain way.

But, I can understand doing it, if it "makes you happy"; there are lots of inexplicable things I do that "make me happy", haha.
Excellent post! Agree 100%. Truth is, it’s metal, not human. It benefits the engine to stay warm as long as possible to prevent cold starts and having to reach operating temperature. Well said!

I don’t drive with it open like that. I only see it at the local fair here when the cops direct traffic they have them propped open like that.
Police in Havasu used to drive with the hood open held by the safety release. Cars had it rough there in the 80's. I switched the Seville's fan clutch to straight fan, a popular and effective mod at the time.

Police in Havasu used to drive with the hood open held by the safety release. Cars had it rough there in the 80's. I switched the Seville's fan clutch to straight fan, a popular and effective mod at the time.
Yes I’m sure back then it probably was rough. I’m not too familiar with that area but it sounds like a hot place lol.

Unless you are doing off road, track or similar conditions, than no.
On track many people remove all plastic pieces that are removable under the hood to allow air to move better. In BMW's they remove cowl under windshield as it prevents air to get out (purposely designed to keep hot air in and engine as warm as possible for longest period of time).
Long drive is not strenuous on an engine, nor ambient temperature. You have enough air flow. Police cars that idle for a long time? yeah, maybe.
Bigger issue when it come sto cooling is high altitude. If you drive at very high altitude (let's say here in CO on I70 over Vail pass) `do not get fooled by lower ambient temperature. It is actually harder on car than ANY heat in Arizona or similar places.

Are we talking about the engine or the rubber/plastic components under the hood? The engine is fine with the heat, the rubber/plastic parts are the ones taking it on the chin with a hot engine compartment.
At the drap strip is also a good place to open your hood between runs especially if you have an intercooler sitting on top of your engine, but who designs engines like that?

it IS hotter under the hood when stopped + popping it open especially on a turbod engine is a smart move i have always done. my 2001 Audi TT has an after run pump for the same reason that pumps coolant after engine is shut off + a sensor or timer shuts it off. getting the hear out sooner is better for rubber type stuff + why more timing belts break sooner in hotter climates + batteries die sooner in Arizona's bone dry heat!!!

In all my time at the track I have seen guys open the hood between passes and put bags of ice on top the engine. It works to keep times consistent especially on forced induction cars.

LOL, sorry, but I found the comment about a "hard" 70 mph run. I don't consider 70 mph driving to be very strenuous for modern vehicles.

Perhaps after a 110 mph dash from Kingman, AZ to Las Vegas on Route 93, in 100 degree heat with the A/C on full blast...then maybe I could see opening the hood. Except I didn't, I parked the car in a parking garage with the hood closed; still works fine.
Key word here is towing. I have been towing 8000lbs regularly for 10 years with two different gas trucks and after pulling some of the larger passes out here 4000 to 8000 feet it is hot, really hot under the hood. I have not experienced any problems, but it does wear out the plastic and rubber components faster. When towing like that the exhaust manifolds are HOT. I remember seeing my old 89 GMC 1 tons manifolds glow after pulling over the Continental Divide on I-90. The 02 and 17 don't have the problem as they are not working near as hard as the old TBI 454.

Heat management is a huge issue for me here in FL, so yes, I open the hood almost after every trip, once the car is in the garage. The garage door is also left open, and then I might run a fan or two. One generally blows into the radiator, to help cool the engine compartment, and the other directs the air flow out the door.
I do this in order to keep the house a bit cooler, as well as reducing heat load on plastic and rubber parts on my car. GM used to have some pretty bad firewall mounted plastic fan housings and impellers that would get very brittle from heat. Not easy to change. Even the new C8 Corvette was given special heat flow routes under the hood to keep things like engine mounts and hoses cool.
So yeah, it's a thing.

Are we talking about the engine or the rubber/plastic components under the hood? The engine is fine with the heat, the rubber/plastic parts are the ones taking it on the chin with a hot engine compartment.
At the drap strip is also a good place to open your hood between runs especially if you have an intercooler sitting on top of your engine, but who designs engines like that?
exactly, the rubber plastic and wires.

Heat management is a huge issue for me here in FL, so yes, I open the hood almost after every trip, once the car is in the garage. The garage door is also left open, and then I might run a fan or two. One generally blows into the radiator, to help cool the engine compartment, and the other directs the air flow out the door.
I do this in order to keep the house a bit cooler, as well as reducing heat load on plastic and rubber parts on my car. GM used to have some pretty bad firewall mounted plastic fan housings and impellers that would get very brittle from heat. Not easy to change. Even the new C8 Corvette was given special heat flow routes under the hood to keep things like engine mounts and hoses cool.
So yeah, it's a thing.
Unless you can drive with the hood open, I don't see much point opening the hood "after" you parked in your garage. The engine, at that point is as hot as it's going to get. If there is damage, it's done. Shortening the time it stays that hot will do little if anything to prolong the life of your car.

Unless you can drive with the hood open, I don't see much point opening the hood "after" you parked in your garage. The engine, at that point is as hot as it's going to get. If there is damage, it's done. Shortening the time it stays that hot will do little if anything to prolong the life of your car.
There is also such a thing as "heat soak" so no. Besides, I said it was as much to reduce the garage temp as it is the engine temp.
I also put my windshield wipers up if it's going to snow! :D

Key word here is towing. I have been towing 8000lbs regularly for 10 years with two different gas trucks and after pulling some of the larger passes out here 4000 to 8000 feet it is hot, really hot under the hood. I have not experienced any problems, but it does wear out the plastic and rubber components faster. When towing like that the exhaust manifolds are HOT. I remember seeing my old 89 GMC 1 tons manifolds glow after pulling over the Continental Divide on I-90. The 02 and 17 don't have the problem as they are not working near as hard as the old TBI 454.

YES. We towed heavy with my 2006 tundra, or heavy for it. 6,000lbs at it was rated for 6900 With the tow package. Heat soak during interstate towing did neat things like soften and tear the hoses holding pressure for the air springs, notably. The engine never missed a beat, and I had an aftermarket gauge on the trans temp and it was well-controlled, but heat soak while towing was a whole other world than heat soak after a regular drive.

ive noticed the ecoboost in my sig has a small electric cooling pump. Upon shutdown, and presumably during start/stop the pump runs. It appears to feed the turbos. It’s about the size of a 1.25” tall beer can.

m

Back