Any additive to make fluids electrically conductive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any safe additives that would make rear end, trans, brake and engine oil electrically conductive? I'd like to monitor fluid levels by attempting to pass current through a probe located below the full level. {Or are these fluids simply insulators and I am out of luck?}

that might be a bad idea. if fluids are conductive you can get the battery effect, espically when passing electricity through them! this will eat metals. its why bost motors have those sacrificial anodes i believe.

The V6 Taurus SHO motors made from '89 to '95 had a low oil level sensor in the crankcase.

Ford part # F2AZ-6C624A

gasket part # E9DZ-6C626A

quote:

Originally posted by mopar:
Any safe additives that would make rear end, trans, brake and engine oil electrically conductive? I'd like to monitor fluid levels by attempting to pass current through a probe located below the full level. {Or are these fluids simply insulators and I am out of luck?}

http://www.ferrotec.com/usa/ferrofluid_technology_overview.htm

However, you might want to price it first.

Last time I looked it was around $40 an ounce.

The inevitable sloshing of a conductive fluid would render the results suspect anyway. You could be significantly low and still not get a timely warning.

Most manufactorers use low oil level sensors, GM's had it for years. I'm not sure if they use some kind of float or what.

-T

I agree with Ray H. The fluid would have to be static. Any fluid dynamics would alter readings. In addition, the increase in wear materials affects sensor response over time.

Another caveat: If the sensor is capacitive, ferro components will bias the response of the sensor. Not all sensors measure resistance, some use capacitance for measurement.

Sure!!!!!!! Just dump a bunch of NaCl(Salt) in there and you're GOLDEN!!!!!

Uhhhhh, please don't take this seriously. It's just my 10th grade chemistry class coming back to me.........

Cheers,
Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back