Any 3D CAD gurus out there???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I have been using Alibre Design for 3D cad work for my company's machining operation. Right now you can pick it up for $99 which is an amazing price for such a powerful tool!! Here's the link:
Inexpensive 3D CAD

I've been recently enamored with Rhino CAD for editing NURBS and other unique features that are appealing from a reverse engineering/artwork standpoint.

Rhino 3D

Well I bit the bullet and ordered it today as I figure with my recent surgical downtime I should have plenty of time to get well learned with this application. Have any of you guys worked with either of these packages before?? I'm assuming the learning curve won't be as steep as it was for me when I had to learn AutoCAD back in the day (not a fan anymore of their software especially after they just flat out discontinued their last release with minimal warning). Anyway I'd appreciate learning from your experiences...BITOG always amazes me with the vast talent base that we have here!

I haven't used either of those, only SolidWorks. From what I've found drawing in 3d feels "backward" from AutoCad but once you get the hang of it then it will make more sense and feel "easier" than Autocad.

quick example:
to draw a line in autocad you click/snap exactly where you want the line to start and stop or you enter the length, etc. If it's wrong you redraw it.
in solidworks you just draw a line anywhere and any length then you make a "relationship" where you want that line to be and its length is set by dimensioning the line it's not (usually) wrong because you adjust the line to fit your needs.

What CAM software does your company use?

I'm using this Eastern block software called SprutCam. The price was worth the learning curve ($800) because it supports 3D 4th axis milling and turning operations. Other than some really different looking tool paths it generates once in a while I would say it is a really rocking program. The post processor selection was good for me too because of the support for Mach3. My only complaint is every once in a while it gets a little overzealous with the feed rates and I have to modify them.

Don't get me wrong Tom I do like SolidWorks and you nailed the backwards thing, but I just can't justify the cost of the site license for 5 users. Now the next time I go over seas I'm sure that I could get set up with an "excellent" version, but I really don't want to put my folks in that position...it gets kind of hard to emphasize integrity of work and then hand someone a street bought copy of software to use LOL! What CAM were you used to Tom? I like MasterCam, but once again it's a cost thing for us.

I've seen SprutCam and it looks like a good product. Seemed more intuitive then MastercamX (oldest version no plug-ins), which is what I've used.
I agree with you on cost for solidworks, you pay for many features that most people would never use. I get it for free at school.

I'm not an expert in any of them, I've just used them a little and decent at drawing with them.
Alibre looks enticing.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Hey Wayne what's Surfcam like? I hadn't seen that package before, but after I googled it it appears to be pretty sweet!

I only used it for a couple of weeks, with a machinist who was making the part in the pictures for me. It seemed like a program that is geared towards the machinist.

DCP_0025.jpg

DCP_0007.jpg

DCP_0010.jpg

Very nice! I'd say if those started as pieces of billet they lost some serious weight while at the shop huh LOL. I'll have to see if I can get a demo of that program and try it out. SprutCam has been good to me though. Thanks for sharing Wayne.

I've been using Autocad for about 10 years now. I've seen Solidworks and would love to learn it but I've never been in a metal milling shop. The sheet metal shop I worked at back in the day went to it after I left.

The 3 axis CNC at the wood shop is programmed with it's own CAM by importing DXF files from Autocad. There are 3D cabinet assembly programs out there but the good ones with CAM are $20K plus.

Autocad recently improved (slightly) their 3D functions but it's no where near the heavy duty machining programs you guys are showing here.

Thanks for your insight Tempest! Have you seen the Allibre program for $99? It's pretty darn amazing for the price, but I'm looking forward to getting on board with Rhino (it's about a grand) I'll let you guys know how it works out and if it is as worthwhile as it looks.

Very nice! I'd say if those started as pieces of billet they lost some serious weight while at the shop huh LOL. ...

They sure did. Here is what the top piece looked like during the machining process.

DSCN0307.jpg

DSCN0297.jpg

Below are pictures of what the customer was using before. He told me to "build a much better one". I did.

OldMold1.jpg

OldMold2.jpg

OldMold3.jpg

13.gif
NICE WORK!! You certainly made that piece into a well thought out and durable manufactured item. Nice job on your clamp/fixture design as well.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
You used every bit of the capacity that machine had! Is that a HAAS?

I think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

13.gif
NICE WORK!! You certainly made that piece into a well thought out and durable manufactured item. Nice job on your clamp/fixture design as well.
10.gif

Thanks. It's a project that made me very proud. The customer was very pleased. The thing was built so exactly to specs, that we had to go back later and make the fit a little "sloppier", at the customer's request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back