Any Grandfather clock fans out there?

I have one. When I was knee high to a grasshopper, I used to go to my grandmothers house on the weekends and wind her grandfathers clock. She told me it would be mine some day. Well back in 2000, that day came when she passed away. So now I get to enjoy it and remember the good times at her house. I wind it every Wednesday. That way if we go away over the weekend it doesn't run out.

Love these relics from the past. When visiting my own grandparents, now deceased many years ago, that steady tick-tock echoing in the hallway and the on-the-quarter-of-an-hour chimes added character to his old, filled with character home. As a child, when I became a bit older he allowed me to pull gently on the chain with the weights on it. I think it had a mechanical gravity mechanism that powered the chimes. Had to be repulled about every 5 days. There was also a key, but I was never allowed to use it! Definitely drove my interest in man's ingenuity with all things mechanical.

Congrats on a great find. $75 very well spent indeed! Still looking to replicate my memories with a prize find. So far no luck, at least not on my budget.

I grew up with one. Loved it. The old hog is still kicking at ~50 years old.

Aside from the wife being a light sleeper, I wouldn’t mind having one.

lucky U. The personal history makes up for the size. I gota 'grandparents clock' too. Uncle sent it from Germany to them right before crashing (shot down?) an army air corps. (pre air force) plane there during WWII. I'm pretty sure he spent some time in the Nazi's custody then. It is a mantle piece. Glass dome style. I echo a relationship w/a 'clock guy' (of any sort). Received before the internet I needed all the help I could get. A lill more portable I took it toa guy I expected to hang out with. He indicated agreement but a yr went by. He was never home when I stopped by. Finally the early net developed e-mail (late 80's Quantum, pre AOL) and I sorta hounded him (fear he'd stolen it). We finally had our 2nd meeting and it was cleaned, several prts replaced and I was given a mini lesson on it. He did this free as he was a hobbyist (older, semi-retired w/clock interest, its income w/SSec retirement) and said it was in dispensation due to untimeliness. Here's hopin some of the next generation appreciates it and cares for it in order to pass down as well. Something like that happened to keep the Revolution era one going as mentioned above.

Reactions: GON
Appears to be a pendulum escapement mechanical clock motor with two gear trains(two weights shown). Remove the back access panel and see if you can see a name of movement manufacturer and the number designation of the movement. Will be something like 350-020. I believe Colonial used German clock movements. Your clock is too big for eight foot ceilings, but it's your home ,so whatever works for you is all that matters. Tall clocks need to sit on a hard surface, so you may have difficulty with the pendulum movement. I've had about thirty years with mechanical clocks but don't consider myself knowledgeable. I can make mine run and keep decent time, but I don't do any more than oil the movements every two years or change out movements when they have enough wear that they stop running. For about the last twenty some years, the trend has been to replace movements rather than have them repaired. Again, remove the back cover and see who made the movement and what the number is.Regards

Last edited:
  • Helpful
I have one from the 70's. It was purchased at a clock shop and sold as a kit. It was a neat little woodworking project for me at 14 years of age. Once it was assembled & finished, they delivered the movement, chains, and weights. It's still working today.

Interesting mark of the era is the inscription: "Made in Western Germany" on the dial face.

We have one that's been in the family since the late 1700's, coming to Canada from Edinburgh. It's currently non-op but I'm sure it could be restored.

Reactions: wlk
Love them since I was a kid, my grandparents had one but sadly I don't have the space. I do collect some clocks though I have 5 in my dinning room and living room. As well as watches, the mechanics fascinate me. Live close to the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia, PA and it is beautiful.

Back