Any 35w Yellow H3 bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have "passing lamps" on my motorcycle that have a 5 watt wedge bulb at the bottom, like a 194, and a 35 watt H3 on top. Both are white, standard bulbs. I would like to replace them with yellow bulbs to help get the attention of other motorists. Any suggestions? I know a yellow LED would be good for the little bulb, but I was having trouble finding a yellow, non-HID H3 35 watt. I don't think it would be a good idea to put higher-wattage bulbs in the housings, but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks!

Dupli-Color Metalcast yellow spray paint will make an almost perfect replication of a French yellow light when applied to the glass lens. A can of it is also probably cheaper and easier to acquire than a selective yellow H3 bulb.

You could go the spray paint route but I've found that uneven coatings and heat kill it causing the paint to fade. The Rallylights website or susquehanna motorsports sells a few different variations of the yellow h3c bulb that you are after. I've used them with good results.

If you're worried about heat in the housings, tinted bulbs will generate lots of heat. Any light wavelength that doesn't escape will heat stuff up.

If you're clever, you could hook it up via relay to your neutral switch so it's only engaged when you're underway. Most bike electrical systems barely run the headlight at idle, and you're discharging the battery slightly then.

For the wedge bulbs you can try Tamayia semitransparent yellow which most hobby shops carry. I have been using it on small bulbs in electronic eqipment for years. A number 44 pilot lamp will get hot enought to burn your fingers but the coating survives. H3's however, run far too hot for the coating to last
and the outgass would probably foul up your reflector. Most "French yellow" bulbs have a metallic coating which actually looks a slight blue in color. Another idea for the wedges would be LED units from an outfit like Superbright Leds. Brighter, with less power consumption, but not a "plug in" in a turn signal circuit unless you have a solid state non-thermal flasher unit. THe Superbright site is a great read.
BTW the European Union has caused the French to permit the use of non-yellow lighting. Prior to that drivers from the rest of Europe had to place a yellow filter on their head and driving/fog lamps. Some say the yellow is easier on other drivers. Yellow fog lamps in the US at least give the mouthbreathers who count on their fingers a hint that just because there are a "lotta" lights lit on your car it does not mean your high beams on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back