Anti--virus and spyware advice, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: StevieC
AVG also has a FREE version.

True SteveC...but it doesn't score as well as Antivir. Neither does Avast...which is also free.

And none of them score as well as NOD32
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

wink.gif

How is that? Both the latest tests for August and November showed Antivir beating everyone including Nod32. The only thing that hurt it was some false positives. But in the raw scores it won hands down.

Last edited:

wink.gif

How is that? Both the latest tests for August and November showed Antivir beating everyone including Nod32. The only thing that hurt it was some false positives. But in the raw scores it won hands down.

For November of '08, the ONLY one to get the ADVANCED+ rating was NOD32.......

But Avira Antivir out scored it in raw scores but was penalized for more false positives than Nod32 so that knocked it down from Advanced+. I will take the possibility of a few FP's for the better protection.

They just posted the Dec 2008 Summary. Avira picked as top AV with Nod32 a close 2nd.

Last edited:

But Avira Antivir out scored it in raw scores but was penalized for more false positives than Nod32 so that knocked it down from Advanced+. I will take the possibility of a few FP's for the better protection.

Yes, but you may know what is a false positive and what is not. A typical end user may err on the side of caution and delete an essential system file or part of one of their programs on their system, rendering it unusable. That is why the penalization for FP's exists.....

They are both good products and the consistent closeness in performance as well as low system resource impact makes that very evident.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use NOD32, Vista x64 firewall w/outbound protection, UAC activated, Defender with Spynet enabled (HIPS protection), Firefox, router, LUA (kinda redundant with UAC). This is a pretty strong setup.
I will probably add SAS or Malwarebytes.
I didn't realize this until after the purchase, but Vista x64 is a fairly secure system, right out of the box.

I find NOD32 to be light, accurate and very fast.

When I had XP I also used Zonealarm and SandboxIE (fantastic little virtualization program). SandboxIE doesn't work with Vista....darnit.
Interestingly, the new Internet Explorer in protected mode is at least partially sandboxed.

Avast! or Avira are great. NOD32 for a commercial product.

"Internet Security" suites are a joke. Because software "firewalls" are a joke........

I am dumber than dirt when it comes to firewalls...can you explain to me why software firewalls are a joke? I assume you like hardware firewalls...right?

You should have a software & hardware firewall. A Hardware firewall can be as simple as a Router with a built-in function up to a commercially available Firewall solution.

I would also use a good Anti-Virus like E-SET Smart Security which comes with NOD32 Anti-Virus and a Software based firewall. It's a Top rated solution that is very affordable and I have recently switched from AVG to this because it uses less resources, is much faster and IMO is much more secure as it has caught stuff my AVG scanner hadn't!

I don't think Norton is quite the resource hog that it used to be. But I still don't like the American antivirus programs Norton and McAfee. I prefer Kaspersky, the Russian antivirus.

A hardware firewall in the router is needed. If you have a spare old computer there is a software program called Smoothwall that uses Linux. It serves as a software firewall to help defend your computer.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: Peter_Page
NIS 2011.

While we're bumping hella old threads, Security Essentials seems to work well, and its free.

ROFL!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back