Anti seize vs silicone paste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by buck91
Well I'm not talking about the pad ears themselves. My F150 have metal clips that go in between the brackets and the pad ears. Under the clips between them and the bracket is a breeding ground for corrosion- just a little is enough to put pressure on the pads and jam them up. I usually wire wheel during pad swaps but sometimes this style needs to get hit with a little filing also.

You may need to invest in something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Kuep...mp;psc=1&refRID=GRANDXYR5S94VH8KTJG7

you said it correctly "invest", $35 for a file that is a little on the steep side.

Originally Posted by diyjake

you said it correctly "invest", $35 for a file that is a little on the steep side.

The Critic just watched SMA's most recent video... Look at the reviews at Amazon. 2-3 people mention SMA (and I stopped reading them but will bet there's more).

There are certainly less expensive square files out there. Amazon shows a different choice for $13 on that page. Follow that and it will refer to more. Are they equal quality ? Who cares for the average DIY who will use these what, twice a year max ?

Well I'm not talking about the pad ears themselves. My F150 have metal clips that go in between the brackets and the pad ears. Under the clips between them and the bracket is a breeding ground for corrosion- just a little is enough to put pressure on the pads and jam them up. I usually wire wheel during pad swaps but sometimes this style needs to get hit with a little filing also.

I intentionally used the words "may" and "invest."
wink.gif

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

The Critic just watched SMA's most recent video... Look at the reviews at Amazon. 2-3 people mention SMA (and I stopped reading them but will bet there's more).

There are certainly less expensive square files out there. Amazon shows a different choice for $13 on that page. Follow that and it will refer to more. Are they equal quality ? Who cares for the average DIY who will use these what, twice a year max ?

Actually I did not watch his video. I remember seeing Mueller-Keups sell all sorts of niche specialty tools, so it was the first brand that came to mind for this particular application.

I've had no problem using silicone grease on the caliper slide rails. First (first time I do the brakes on that axle, so there is no grease there yet to slow rust formation) I use a file or wire wheel to clean rust off the rails, then I put the grease on, then (if the type that uses them) the stainless shim, then grease on that too.

Expensive brake caliper file? Meh we all know some tools cost more for quality, or others due to the special application, but when I use a file instead of a wire wheel, it's just some random (whatever fits) Nicholson file I have lying around, costing maybe $8 at a local hardware store. Amazon's prices for those can be more expensive than the local hardware store.

Last edited:
Front brakes bound up and worn almost through the backing plate this week before I could tear them down.

This could be a caliper issue and not lube.

Most lubers use orders of magnitude too much lube. The Factory Service Manual should be consulted as to what type, how much, and where. Generic advice on this board may not apply to your car.

I have had to smooth the ears of new pads more than once. Any file will do, preferrably one with safe sides (no teeth). Expect The Critic to recommend the best, or most expensive option.

The proper use of files is a huge topic. Amazing finish and precision results can be had by an experienced filer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back