Anti seize on spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've encountered original plugs within the change interval that were very difficult to get out. Therefore, I use never-seize on any plug I install. I experimented over the years with how much. I've had a couple instances where I just put on a very little bit and then had the plug difficult to remove later. So I make sure to thoroughly coat the threads. But I reduce the torque by 25%. Never had a problem and never stripped a thread so far.

I've never used it any plugs. Even plugs in the engine for 160,000km (100K miles). No issues. Just don't over tighten them when you put them in and it will be fine. I always tighten finger tight on the ratchet and then 1/4-1/2 full hand on the ratchet. No more. I think it's the over tightening that causes a problem with future removal.

Last edited:
Put it together with never-seize and take it apart with guaranteed ease.

I use and don't go crazy tightening the plugs. Just good and snug.

I've done several spark plug jobs on vehicles with mileage ranging from 35,000 to 101,000 on the plugs. The new plated ones don't need it. Using it can in theory interfere with grounding as well if enough is used.

For the old standard black-painted plugs, anti-seize is a must.

Autolite on a Jetta?
37.gif

Why not NGK?
smile.gif

Ant-seize is not needed with NGK, Denso, Bosch, and most Champions. Not sure about Autolite.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Doesn't the use of anti-seize technically change the torque spec?

Yes, they don't want you using never seize because of the possibility of over tightening the plugs.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Autolite on a Jetta?
37.gif

Why not NGK?
smile.gif

Ant-seize is not needed with NGK, Denso, Bosch, and most Champions. Not sure about Autolite.

At least it's not Botched (Bosch) plugs. They are just as bad as Autolite. Never had any luck with them.

I never had any issues with Autolites in ANY engine I installed them in foreign or domestic. Their Iridium XP and double Platinum plugs are very competitive. Bosch, now I had a couple issues with them and won't touch them anymore. I prefer Autolite, NGK and Denso personally.

The only luck I have had with Autolite is in Ford and they weren't platinums/iridiums. Everything else we tried this brand it had problems so we stayed away. Always had luck with NGK (Regular/Iridium/Platinum), Champion (Regular/Platinum), Denso (Regular, Platinum, Iridium)

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Autolite on a Jetta?
37.gif

Why not NGK?
smile.gif

At least it's not Botched (Bosch) plugs. They are just as bad as Autolite. Never had any luck with them.

I agree that some of the later Bosch designs were not the best and the non German produced ones were less durable but their OE double iridiums are one of the best plugs I have use thus far, they work well in VW engines and NAPA has them at decent prices.
For almost 30 years I used Bosch and Beru almost exclusively in Euro cars and never had any problems with either of them. They were all German production as is the new OE. They Stand behind the OE for 7 years, if you haven't tried them you may be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/documents/101512/0/0/a05f1bf8-1734-4b46-8bb0-46494db1a8e0

https://www.boschautoparts.com/documents/101512/0/0/f3bc6316-f185-4de4-8aa6-dc7ae13401e6

Originally Posted By: dparm
Doesn't the use of anti-seize technically change the torque spec?

and maybe the heat range too

Originally Posted By: StevieC
The only luck I have had with Autolite is in Ford and they weren't platinums/iridiums. Everything else we tried this brand it had problems so we stayed away. Always had luck with NGK (Regular/Iridium/Platinum), Champion (Regular/Platinum), Denso (Regular, Platinum, Iridium)

I had good luck with Autolite in Ford and non-Ford products, but I prefer NGK. OTOH I found Champion plugs to be garbage in everything but my Craftsman mower. LOL

Put a little bit of Tri-Flow on the threads of the spark plug.
That way if it was to run down onto the electrode ( not likely ) it won't fowl the plug.

tri.flow.jpg

I started using it 30 years ago when I broke the ceramic on a plug getting it out. It works well. You might want to use it on your wheels too. Not the lugs nuts but the area where the wheel meets the hub. Got a flat one night, jacked up car could not get the wheel off no matter how hard I kicked it. An older & wiser guy comes over and has me re-install the lug nuts but backed off 1 turn. He proceeds to hit the gas hard than brake hard. I hear a loud 'clunk' tire is now free. Live & learn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JoeJ
I started using it 30 years ago when I broke the ceramic on a plug getting it out. It works well. You might want to use it on your wheels too. Not the lugs nuts but the area where the wheel meets the hub. Got a flat one night, jacked up car could not get the wheel off no matter how hard I kicked it. An older & wiser guy comes over and has me re-install the lug nuts but backed off 1 turn. He proceeds to hit the gas hard than brake hard. I hear a loud 'clunk' tire is now free. Live & learn.

Anti-seize on the hub as you mentioned is a great idea. I hadn't done that to my Liberty for some odd reason. I did a brake job a few weeks, and after having to thrust kick the wheels off the rear axle I cleaned and coated all of them.

When I change the tires for the seasons Winter/Summer I always fluid film or chain/bar-lube the hubs. Never have an issue getting them off. Anti-seize would be great too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back