Anti-seize and rotor install

I’m installing new rotors soon and I see a thin application of copper anti-seize is often recommended on the hub face prior to installing the new rotor. I don’t have copper right now and am curious if there is any reason aluminum anti-seize would be a bad idea?

Funny, just did this several times over the past few days. You will be fine, anything that prevents or slows the corrosion that can cause the wheel to bind will work. The key is using a small amount and wiping any excess so that it doesn't get flung around and make a mess or get on the rotor or caliper.

Copper antiseize is better at staying. There always seems to be some still there whenever I go back and work on something. I just use it around the center ring on rotors.

At one time I put some heat transfer paste (zinc oxide) between the rotor and hub. But it flailed out and made a mess.

The key is using a small amount and wiping any excess so that it doesn't get flung around and make a mess or get on the rotor or caliper.
Not suggesting to glob it on heavy but on the hub face, it's pretty well contained inside the rotor hat so I'm not sure where it will end up flung.

Also, in my experience, rotors get stuck on the O.D. of the hub, not the face, so don't forget to apply it there.

I’m installing new rotors soon and I see a thin application of copper anti-seize is often recommended on the hub face prior to installing the new rotor. I don’t have copper right now and am curious if there is any reason aluminum anti-seize would be a bad idea?

Are you having issues getting the old rotors off? or do the wheels fuse themselves to the hub? I'm not to bothered about the discs, only found 1 application where they were hard to remove and greasing the hub face wouldn't help there.

But it wouldn't hurt either way.

Isn't anti-seize for fasteners? Won't the stuff run when hot under hard braking? I've always used ceramic silicone brake lube. Stuff is good to 3,000 degrees, not that it would ever get that hot.

Just posted this pic in the what are you working on thread, but applies here. This is before I rubbed the excess copper anti seize off.

As someone noted, the sticking is most likely to occur on the hub extension and probably from the swelling due to corrosion then actual binding. In this case, an aluminum rotor hub, I rub a very light film of oil on the rotor face and use anti seize on the bare steel hub.
lelr.jpg

Isn't anti-seize for fasteners? Won't the stuff run when hot under hard braking? I've always used ceramic silicone brake lube. Stuff is good to 3,000 degrees, not that it would ever get that hot.

Depends how it's made. I use a bentonite clay grease, never runs. good upto 2000F.

Are you having issues getting the old rotors off? or do the wheels fuse themselves to the hub? I'm not to bothered about the discs, only found 1 application where they were hard to remove and greasing the hub face wouldn't help there.

But it wouldn't hurt either way.
Nah, they come right off. Just figured I’d add a thin coat anti-seize anyway to keep corrosion and rust down. I’m not in the rust belt though so the rotors seizing on hasn’t been a common issue. I’ve only had a drum seize once, but I had previously lived in the NE with it. Lots of salt in the winter. My job sometimes has me move around so it’s possible I unexpectedly end up somewhere salty again.

I had a used Torino once that took quite a bit of persuasion from a 3 lb sledge to get the rotors off. Most brake issues I've had is from lack of yearly maintenance. Bites me every time.

I always like to put a little on the hub face and on the rotor face as well. I’ve done my fair share of air hammering and sledgehammering rotors off cause they were seized same with wheels too. Doesn’t matter which type. If it already has some on it I just use that same type of it doesn’t then I usually use the silver stuff cause it’s cheaper and more available and I have more of it. I keep both on hand though.

I always use 5 or so pea-sized drops on the wheel hub when installing a new rotor. I also give the inside if the wheel mating surface a quick smear. Rotor set screws get absolutely slathered in the stuff. I've never had it sling or otherwise make a mess.

Back