Answers to Common Fram Concerns by a Fram Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
From their website:

Fram Tough Guard Uses a higher level of synthetic media to give 6X MORE engine protection than the average of leading economy oil filters -- VS. AVERAGE OF LEADING ECONOMY FILTERS. Honeywell testing of filter efficiency and capactiy of models equivalent to TG8A, 3387A and 6607 under ISO 4548-12 for particles > 20 microns.

Unsurpassed 99% Dirt Trapping Efficiency -- Honeywell testing of filter efficiency (using FRAM XG3387A and XG8A average) and dirt holding capacity (using XG8A average only) and their leading economy filter equivalents under ISO 4548-12 for particles > 20 microns.

I like how they misspelled capacity.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: bepperb
True. If I could get the extended guard for five bucks a throw shipped to my door via Amazon, I just might. Or the ToughGuard for 2.50. Those are my P1/Purolator Classic prices, and I would need Fram to at least be competitive.

I heard Walmart charges $8 for the Extended Guard filters. If those filters really do have more dirt holding capacity than the Mobil 1 EP filters, then that's a steal.

Actually the Walmart in Barstow CA had Mobil 1 filters for the same price next to it. 8.99 or something along that range.

But still as far as Frams go, the Supertech with a stronger center cage, better end caps, and thicker can are cheaper than the Fram Extra guards. I have cut open numerous of each and the ST is far stronger and more quality than the Frams IMO. I have seen multiple un-glued end caps, heavily distorted media, broken media, and the weakest of all "steel" cores of all in the frams.

Any way, I still use the Fram for my Jeep if the ST is sold out because I refuse to pay more than 3.50 for a filter at 3k OCI haha.

Last edited:
I think Honeywell also should explain Prestone dexclone being recommended as an all make all models anti-freeze.

If fram Extended Guard is good for 10,000 miles and holds more dirt then explain why Mobil 1 EP filters are rated for 15,000 miles?

I for one will never ever use a dam fram filter again after I almost lost a $8,000 motor in my Trans Am because of a Fram filter leaking...and I will tell everyone I know not to buy their junk filters.

The Trans incident happened while driving down the down the freeway and my oil pressure gauge just bottomed out. I towed the car home only to find no oil on the dipstick, I filled oil pan back to the top and when I started my car a friend said oil was leaking bad out the bottom so I took a look and it was coming right out the side of the oil filter. I thought maybe a rock had hit it but on closer inspection it had no rock marks, it was leaking right where the sure grip meets the can.

I cut the filter open to inspect it and found a hole on the inside that was just covered up by the sure grip coating.

DONT EVER BUY A FRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
From their website:

...under ISO 4548-12 for particles > 20 microns...

Ah. I missed the ISO test number. But how much ">" than 20 microns?

I got a BBQ grill that is 100% efficient at >20 microns! (stops all golf balls every time)
lol.gif

"We also have a higher efficiency rating and are the only filter to guarantee 10k oil change intervals when used with synthetic oil."

This is not true as AMSOIL has been doig this for a while.

Never been a staunch believer in metal end caps. My fetish has been the more media, the better. Now the new Purolator Classic has better specs than the old Premium Plus although in the L 10193 it has less media, not much more than a Fram PH 3050 once had. So if a Classic with less media can be better than a PP, must it be better than a Fram?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
"We also have a higher efficiency rating and are the only filter to guarantee 10k oil change intervals when used with synthetic oil."

This is not true as AMSOIL has been doig this for a while.

Hasn't Amsoil been guaranteeing 25,000 mile changes?
lol.gif

I have been happy with the Extended Guard XG3600 filter I'm currently using on my Jeep. No leaks, no issues. It's an extremely well built filter. I wouldn't touch the other Fram filters though.

Next OCI I'm going with the M1 EP filter though...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I never really understood the crazy amount of fram bashing anyways....

Regardless of price, it's still a good filter...

Look at some pictures of cut open filters -- they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." If you think that paper endcaps are the same as metal endcaps then you should keep using the Orange cans. I think the high-end Frams are nice filters, but like everyone else commented -- Overpriced compared to equivalent filters. You can buy Purolator PureOnes for about $6-7, why spend $9 for the best Fram?

That doesnt mean that Paper end caps are bad, fram just has bad quality ones. Supertech/STP/AcDelco are far better and stronger and the ST is cheaper.

I agree though that 8.99 and plus I would get a NAPA gold or PureOne for less

Last edited:
Not too impressed with what the Fram engineer had to say. Like much with Fram, the marketing and PR seems more important than building a quality product at a reasonable price. They excel at selling the sizzle.

As snoop dogg would say, it is what it is. The Extra Guard is a cheaply built filter selling at a premium price, relative to it's construction. At an average price of ~$3.57 at Walmart there are better made filters for close to the same price, or less. That is generally true of the entire Fram oil filter line. And, Wally is generally at the low end of the pricing.

I laughed at the sematic description of "there is no "cardboard" in any FRAM filter. The end caps in the lower level models are an engineered media, just like the filter media itself."
whistle.gif

The High Mileage filter is a " cool filter" with a "timed release basket." Very scientific.
smirk2.gif
Kool Aide anyone?

The Extended Guard should not be confused with Fram's other basic filter constructions, very different. The Extra Guard isn't close.

That said, the Xtended Guard at a ~ $8, puts it a price point, where (as has been pointed out) there are other equally fine filters for less money.

If Fram would put less into marketing hype, perhaps they could put more into improving filter quality and sell it at a reasonable price.

Quote:
This chemical replenishes the additive package in the oil that a high mile engine can consume pretty quickly.

Uh.....no. He needs to talk to Bill.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Quote:
This chemical replenishes the additive package in the oil that a high mile engine can consume pretty quickly.

Uh.....no. He needs to talk to Bill.

Some believe that a higher mileage engine, with more wear, will have more blow-by and therefore deplete an oil's additive package more quickly. In theory, it makes sense, but I don't know if this actually happens in the real-world.

Well - if we're going on theory here, I have an opinion. But my comments are just that, regarding the HM vehicle issues. I have no data to back it up.

If one's engine has blow-by (or some other form of consumption like it) then I suspect the whole oil entity is being depleted, not just the add-pack.

Am I to believe that the "blow-by" condition is able to seperate the add-pack from the host base stock oil, and somehow discard the add-pack while keeping the base stock? I find that hard to believe.

I suspect the reality is that the consumption of oil is either a 1:1 ratio of oil to add-pack, or perhaps it's possibly the opposite, where the oil base stock might experience some evaporation, and the heavier components of the add-pack remain behind.

In reality, as Critic suggested, I doubt it makes little if any difference in the real world.

Just my opinion; no facts to back this up.

I only have one high-mileage vehicle (1995 Villager with 183k miles on it). I have some PZ HM oil in there right now. I'll consider pulling a UOA at the 5k mile OCI. Thing is, though, it doesn't consume much oil. So it's not a fair representation of a HM oil consumer.

As for the topic of the Fram oil filters? I don't hate them, and would use them IF they were the only choice I had at some remote location during an unplanned OCI. But for the money (for any given "range" of product placement) I think you can do better with a Wix or Purolator, which can often be found at just about the same places for less money, when comparing feature for feature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back