Another 'What should I use' question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am ignorant about the science of engine oils - but am an engineer so I worry...

The application is a Porsche 3.8l GT3 newly rebuilt motor. Car is a track car - spend most of its time ~ 8K rpm.

Factory recommend fill is Mobil 1 0-40 - but that was for Mobil 1 designed in 2004. I had been using Redline 0-40 and 15-50 passenger car oils as opposed to the race oils. Recently some folks have been vehemently against the Redline oil, have read about some Motul oils, bottom line is that I don't know enough to make an educated choice.

What are good choices, should I just use Mobil 1 and be done with it?

Thanks

Ray

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Mobil 1 0w40 is still a good pick.
As would Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 or Castrol Euro 0W-40.

WRT Redline's quality - I don't know, just some folks whose opinion I respect has indicated that it is no good. That said, there is no qualatative information I have that indicates this, and not being up on the science, I ask...

Ray

Truth be told, I haven't really seen/read many favorable Motul UOAs, but those have only been the few I have seen here.

Personally, since you race the car, I would be checking/asking on Porsche specific forums what other Porsche drivers/racers are using.
I am sure tons of info exists on those that may help you better than asking here?

I like Pennzoil products best, personally, so that's what I'd be using if it were my car.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-pennzoil-parts/pennzoil-platinum-euro-5w-40-oil-one-quart/5w40kt/

Good luck.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: rbahr
Hi All,

I am ignorant about the science of engine oils - but am an engineer so I worry...

The application is a Porsche 3.8l GT3 newly rebuilt motor. Car is a track car - spend most of its time ~ 8K rpm.

Factory recommend fill is Mobil 1 0-40 - but that was for Mobil 1 designed in 2004. I had been using Redline 0-40 and 15-50 passenger car oils as opposed to the race oils. Recently some folks have been vehemently against the Redline oil, have read about some Motul oils, bottom line is that I don't know enough to make an educated choice.

What are good choices, should I just use Mobil 1 and be done with it?

Thanks

Ray

Do you have any reason to suspect Mobil 1 0W-40 would come up short in your application? Mobil keeps that product up-to-date and collaborates with Porsche, retaining their approval over the years. It's serious stuff. And it's cheap and widely available to boot, apparently thanks in large part to massive economies of scale.

I'm sure there are plenty of other oils that'd work, including from Red Line and (especially) Motul. But unless there's a specific reason why Mobil 1 0W-40 is failing where another lube would succeed without other downsides, it's hard to imagine a strong reason to switch.

Do you really need a 0W oil for the track?

0W40 has a lot of viscosity improvers which can break down, and in terms of viscosity it is almost a 0W30 oil.

If it's a dedicated track car it's not a bad idea to bump up the viscosity. I would be leaning towards a good 5W40 or even 15W50.

Thanks,

Redline does not have have the A-40 cert... will probably move to M1, will check if the 15-50 has the cert

Ray

Last edited:
Looks like the Ravenol has the certs. Red line achieves the wide viscosity range without VI Mobil 1 uses. That ester/Pao combo with the stout zinc/moly component is magic for a race engine. Need to use a little care as the catalyst can be harmed with too much zinc. Red line doesn't want its product used as a break in oil as you may never get the initial ring seating needed. They recommend a couple thousand miles on a passenger car. Not sure on a race engine.

I would continue to use Redline. My pick would be 5W-40. It is fantastic oil. Some don’t like it because it is expensive and doesn’t have an official A40 approval.

Next choice would probably be M1 15W-50 if it’s purely a track car.

Member “Germansutohaus” recently posted up a lot of Motul UOAs (mainly 5W-40 X-Cess). They all looked great.

Last edited:
A40 may be out the window for you application. I would avoid street Long Life oils in a motorsport car.

Other than a good "one grade up" for track use, Not knowing what that engine has for TC guides; I would caution some oils have had TC guide compatibility issues that would soften the polymers or make them embrittled.

good luck and enjoy!

Why is the Porsche certificate even brought up in regards to A TRACK CAR?!
33.gif

This engine needs a solid race spec oil for track duty. You could get by with a street oil but why would you wanna do that? The engine requires different Lube for race duty. Do Race Cars use off the shelf Mobil 1 "Annual Protection" 20,000 mile oil? No, they do not.

0w doesn't make sense in this case. I would pick a 10w or 15w-40, 50, or 60 for adequate oil film strength.

Redline Oil, Amsoil, etc make race car specific oil. Pick one. Use it. Your engine will thank you.

WryTwister: The motor was rebuilt because I had a PP fail which nearly cut the bell-housing off (1/2 way through the support bolts), then the vibrations caused the block to crack at the low pressure oil inlet

Tore the motor (and tranny) down, welded and aligned bored the block, replaced anything worn, swapped in some 3.8l P&C's, KEPT the original rings as they had already seated - full treatment on the rebuild - will write things up in Rennlist.

I had my first track outing last weekend, things went well. I used Brad Penn break-in oil. I have ~130 track miles on the motor and will change out the oil either just before or after my next event - next week.

WRT the A40 designation - the Mobil 1 oils is the Porsche Cup car recommendation as well

I will start doing UOA with my next change.

As said before, this is 95% a track car. I have still got 3 cases of Redline oil, just was wondering if it is time to just sell them...

Thanks

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back