Another Toyota WS tranny fluid question - longer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I am a new memeber here and I am looking for some answers. I have 2008 Toyota Rav4 2.0 vvti 4wd 112kw AT for Europe market. I bought a car two years ago with 220 000km. My mechanic change the AT fluid along with the filter. When the fluid came out of the pan he send me pictures, it was all dirty black colour, the pan was muddy and it all looks awfull. Seems like it was never changed before. He put some FEBI fluid by the specs and so far everything is ok. The car is driven by my wife so I do not drive it every day but when I do everything is ok. I only notice that it hesitates in shifting from 3rd to 4th gear, but that only happens at outside lower temperatures. My last car was 1999 Volvo V70 with AW55-50SN gearbox and I do complete tranny flush, put some lubeguard in it a put extra inline filter, and drove it for a month. About a month or two after I sell it the gearbox fail. New owner was prepared for that because Volvo is known for tranny issues so he did not blame me. Now, I don´t want to make same mistake again. I will rather take out fluid from the pan, refill it and drove for cuple hundreds km in various mode and then repeat the procedure few times. I think it will give time for tranny get use to refreshed fluid (how crazy that sounds) and will not cause damage like complete flush. And Yes, it will cost me more money but nothing comparing to tranny rebuild. In my car manual says that I should use only original Toyota ATF WS fluid or Toyota ATF WS 8ATF, JWS3324, NWS9638. I want to buy Valvoline Maxlife ATF but in my country they sell Maxlife ATF and it is not listed as Toyota WS compatible fluid like Maxlife Multi-vehicle ATF I found on the web. Are those different fluids? I found Eneos ATF Eco and Febi 29934. Which one is better in Your opinion? I know Eneos is Japanese company but I like more what is written on Febi sheet. I also have one more question...I see that Eneos is compatible fluid for Volvo JWS 3309, Febi doesn´t specificly says Volvo but it says JWS 3309. In Your opinion, is it the same fluid for Toyota and Volvo? If that so, that means that Mobil JWS 3309 should be compatible with Toyota WS but in the Mobile sheet says it is Toyota T-III, T-IV compatible but not Toyota WS. What fluid would You recomend? I don´t want to mess with fluids because it is my wifes favorite car and she will literally kill me if I broke something. Thanks!!

http://eneos.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/ENEOS-ECO-ATF-FULLY-SYNTHETIC-PDS.pdf
https://www.techtips.ie/febi/atf-tip0016---29934.pdf

Last edited:
Toyota says WS and T-IV shouldn't be mixed;

T-IV is 3309 and WS is 3324; You should be able to get the 3324 fluid @ the volvo dealer.

Aisin makes a 3324 fluid as does Mobil

I am a Maxlife user; however it is not "an certified replacement" for either fluid; some people are comfortable with that, others, not.

Last edited:
I think both are good for your replacement. T-IV being older standard was supposed to be more viscous than WS, but both shears rather quickly especially T-IV. T-IV is mineral oil.

Originally Posted by kr_bitog
I think both are good for your replacement. T-IV being older standard was supposed to be mores viscous than WS, but both are mineral oil that shear rather quickly especially T-IV.

Mineral oil shears?

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Toyota says WS and T-IV shouldn't be mixed;

T-IV is 3309 and WS is 3324; ...

Aisin makes a 3324 fluid as does Mobil

Agreed with above. They are not the same fluid. I would use Toyota WS as that is what is called for by Toyota.

You do not want the 3309. You want the 3324.

John Kelly has a great YouTube on Toyota ATF's on WeberAuto. He gives the history of all of Toyota ATFs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by kr_bitog
I think both are good for your replacement. T-IV being older standard was supposed to be mores viscous than WS, but both are mineral oil that shear rather quickly especially T-IV.

Mineral oil shears?

It's not limited to mineral oils

Originally Posted by kekec01
Another one...
https://products.liqui-moly.com/top-tec-atf-1800-2.html

This one is not T-IV, it is only WS.

WS is OK, but if others meets spec, it is fine too. I personally would stay away from FEBI, as FEBI is known for some rather mediocre products. They make some really good stuff, but they venture into everything and anything. Maxlife also proved to be very good. Black color is not indication whether fluid is still good or not. It is just doing its job.
I will personally use this summer WS in my Sienna just to refresh fluid and will change filter.
Nemoj previse ovo komplikovati
smile.gif

Molakule said Maxlife is compatible with WS so I exchanged 2 quarts in my Camry with it. Seems fine. I'm not worried about it.

Originally Posted by edyvw
smile.gif

You're right. Just want to be sure about tranny fluid, nobody wants extra costs if it's not necessary. Hvala kolega
10.gif

Originally Posted by kekec01
Originally Posted by edyvw
smile.gif

You're right. Just want to be sure about tranny fluid, nobody wants extra costs if it's not necessary. Hvala kolega
10.gif

RAV4 with 2.0 is not going to be demanding on fluid. Now, if you were towing etc. maybe venture out to some boutique fluids. But, I would stay with WS or Valvoline Maxlife.

I double flushed my 2009 rav 4 with redline d6, works just fine, zero issues. Yeah, that vehicle was abused, now that you have it just keep watching the stick, check it everytime you check the oil, when it turns dark purple just drop the bolt (I cut a hole in my valance to make it easy) and drop out 3.5 qrts and add it back. Do filters every 60k miles, but if it was that bad, do them one time at 30k and cut it open to make sure not full of junk. Amsoil is likely another good candadate besides redline d6. Look at operating temp (cSt) of the fluid replacement, you want it in the 6's, atf's are in the 7's mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back