Another story from the service bay

That amount of sludge is acceptable. It is more than desired but it will not hurt anything. They could change the oil a bit more often but I am betting they will not.

A correct repair by someone that knows what they are doing, always costs more initially, but less in the long run, and this botched lower intake manifold job demonstrated.

Rod

I'm amazed you had room.

My mom had an 03' Buick Rendezvous and even with the front engine mounts off and the engine strapped forward, I couldn't even get the spark plug wires off the rear.

Lucky that free to roam around rocker assembly didn't jamb up the works anywhere else!

This old GM gets to live another day.

You certainly provided a excellent service that save you client big bucks. . Helicoils are Aluminum's best friend.

That's amazing work. Even if I was determined and skilled enough I could never bend my back at the waist for long enough to do such a task.
My question is, is it possible a frozen rocker to pull the studs out? I see it is roller bearing but very dirty. It seems the pressure on the rocker stud would be pulling up but maybe that's wrong.

Love hearing these stories from the service bay. Thanks for posting. Almost any idiot can throw parts at a car. Diagnosis and these clever repair tricks is where the real skill is at.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MacManus99
Love hearing these stories from the service bay. Thanks for posting. Almost any idiot can throw parts at a car. Diagnosis and these clever repair tricks is where the real skill is at.

Ditto. It helps explain why it costs so much to do a job right, and only increases my respect for mechanics. Well, the one's who do it right, anyhow.

Good work on getting that done! Do you use anything on top of the engine to make working back there more comfortable? I was fighting with something at the back of my Neon engine bay and my back had enough. Everything up top seemed pretty strong so I put a few layers of cardboard on it and climbed on... DIdn't break anything and got my job done a bit easier.

Originally Posted by another Todd
Nice job Cline. Why was vacuum steady? Without an intake valve operating I would have thought the needle would dropped a bit in vacuum as that cylinder came around.

+1
Also, why did the owner not experience any issues immediately after the last mechanic tried his shotgun approach at fixing the issue (throwing random parts at it).

Originally Posted by walterjay
Impressive. Most of the mechanics nowdays just want to replace things and not repair.

Ain't nobody got time for that, just throw parts at it!

Very impressive job and work cline, speechless.

You are a true mechanic- as opposed to so called "technicians" who only know how to throw parts at the problem.

I have mixed feelings about all this.

On one side, an excellent and entertaining presentation of good diagnosis and economical repair work.

On the other hand, he did just keep an Aztec on the road.

Originally Posted by HangFire
I have mixed feelings about all this.

On one side, an excellent and entertaining presentation of good diagnosis and economical repair work.

On the other hand, he did just keep an Aztec on the road.

What if it was Heisenberg's?

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Cline and Trav are two of the best ever!

This is way, way, way right on the money..... ^^^^^^^^^^

Back