Another selling a car "win" story

I posted a story not too long ago about my experience with my wife buying her new 2022 Hyundai Accent. When she bought that car I bought her 2021 Chevy spark for the Carvana offer on that day, $16k. I figured it was my easiest option to get a newer vehicle. Plus I had maintained it since new which is a BITOG perk to be sure.

Fast forward a few weeks and i was quoting the value of the spark to keep an eye on the market. Carvana had stayed the same, vroom offered $17k. Carmax had refused to quote it online many times due it it being an uncommon trim level i would assume, no comps maybe. But i tried again and they quoted it. Low and behold they quoted it at $22,800. Insane quote. The car new was $19 ish if I remember correctly, and my wife paid $18k. I figure it's some glitch but who cares, immediately scheduled an appointment to sell.

We sat there for probably an hour and a half yesterday. The whole time I'm thinking they'll come out and say "sir you checked the wrong box we'll have to requote", or something to that effect. Nope, everything goes smooth and they hand over a check for the $22,800.

So my wife drove that car for 1 year and 7k miles and then got a FREE upgrade to her more expensive (and brand new) Accent. Very pleased of course. This is not the first time I've benefited from this market, but i suspect it will be my last. Now we are a 1 car household for the first time and i need to figure out what I'm going to do. I do have a deposit on a 2022 Accent like my wife's but I'm not 100% sure I'll go for it or not.

[I posted a story not too long ago about my experience with my wife buying her new 2022 Hyundai Accent. When she bought that car I bought her 2021 Chevy spark for the Carvana offer on that day, $16k. I figured it was my easiest option to get a newer vehicle. Plus I had maintained it since new which is a BITOG perk to be sure.]

I am missing something through my poor comprehension skills? You bought your wife's old car?

I am missing something through my poor comprehension skills? You bought your wife's old car?
I gave her $16k to put down on her new car, in turn I started driving her car and sold mine. We didn't transfer the title or anything.

We have a unique monetary setup where we have no money shared, no accounts shared.

Recently cashed a $29,544 check from CarGurus on a 2021 Tuscon with 12k on the odo. This was a FWD SEL, far far from top of the line.

I recently sold my lease car back to the dealer and made $6200 over the residual.
I did the math and with the $6200 I made it cost me $94 a month to drive a brand new Hyundai Elantra GT for 3 years.
I replaced it with a given to me free very clean 2002 Blazer with 108K miles on it one owner.
Big deference between the GT and the Blazer, so much so I named the Blazer The Tugboat.
It really is like going from a speed boat to a tug boat.
I sure miss the GT but dont miss the $264 a month payment.
Lots of stories like yours and mine out there for people savvy enough to take advantage of the current car situation.
It's about time some of us win.

Back