Another SCORE # 3 !!

My post was not reference to you whatsoever. Utah county and its people, and the Cougars are awesome.

Ya we both know who I'm referring to and its not either one of you guys lol ;) :cool: (y)

I actually drove through Utah I-84 through Ogden when I moved from Seattle to Dallas back in 2016 driving my previous "now sold" 2001 Suburban hauling a uhaul trailer lol. It was VERY beautiful scenery I LOVED those mountains

Dave

That dude is not a native of Utah. He may live there, but does not have any of the characteristics of the very awesome native residents of Utah.

No I don't. I don't run red lights, nor do I use my cellphone (held by hand) and to me speed limits are posted for a reason,, and I don't drive "distracted". I have none of these characteristics of "Utah Natives". It's amazing to me how many mini-vans go down I-15 (between Salt Lake and Provo) in excess of 80mph-filled with children......

And yes-I brought my California equity and paid cash for a house.

I agree this is a score. If I could have found one for this price, as I mentioned in the other thread, I probably would have bought it, despite the 80s interior.

Instead the older Suburbans and Tahohes I found in the 200-300K range around here were priced in the $6000-$8000 range, or, they were in terrible condition. I drove to the far side of town past the airport to look at an 04 for $4000 that looked NOTHING like the pics. A real disappointment. I left without even speaking to the owner. He immediately dropped the price to $3300. I wouldn't have taken it for much north of free, it needed new paint, new wheels (peeling chrome on aftermarket wheels) and all new seats.

The best one I found was also an 01 and had only 149K on it and was in decent condition exterior and interior. But when I took it for a ride the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, check engine, check brakes, ABS, airbag and something else, plus the brakes felt like they were years overdue for a bleed. They wanted $6000 for it. For that price I expect no dash lights and at least an effort to bleed the brakes, it's not hard or particularly time consuming. If anyone else thinks they can talk them down on the price, here it is: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...gHelper.selectedEntity=c916#listing=280354450

But anyway...I think you made a solid deal on yours especially with the drivers seat having had been replaced, looks fantastic. Two thumbs up.

I agree this is a score. If I could have found one for this price, as I mentioned in the other thread, I probably would have bought it, despite the 80s interior.

Instead the older Suburbans and Tahohes I found in the 200-300K range around here were priced in the $6000-$8000 range, or, they were in terrible condition. I drove to the far side of town past the airport to look at an 04 for $4000 that looked NOTHING like the pics. A real disappointment. I left without even speaking to the owner. He immediately dropped the price to $3300. I wouldn't have taken it for much north of free, it needed new paint, new wheels (peeling chrome on aftermarket wheels) and all new seats.

The best one I found was also an 01 and had only 149K on it and was in decent condition exterior and interior. But when I took it for a ride the dash lit up like a Christmas tree, check engine, check brakes, ABS, airbag and something else, plus the brakes felt like they were years overdue for a bleed. They wanted $6000 for it. For that price I expect no dash lights and at least an effort to bleed the brakes, it's not hard or particularly time consuming. If anyone else thinks they can talk them down on the price, here it is: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...gHelper.selectedEntity=c916#listing=280354450

But anyway...I think you made a solid deal on yours especially with the drivers seat having had been replaced, looks fantastic. Two thumbs up.

YIKES !! Sorry to hear you struck out on finding a good value GM SUV in Austin area. In the future, You should came up to D-town to get the real deals lol ;) Seen '07+ escalades with 175-200K miles for $6000-8000

On my 01 burban. Thanks I got lucky the owner had some very poor pics on FB marketplace (Possibly taken by a kid??) and i'm sure the HIGH mileage scared off a lot of people. Something told me to check it out and once I drove it around his neighborhood with the engine running smooth as butter(No noises), COLD A/C, Perfect interior I knew I had to buy it. And to this day, I STILL not regret buying it :cool: (y)

Dave

No I don't. I don't run red lights, nor do I use my cellphone (held by hand) and to me speed limits are posted for a reason,, and I don't drive "distracted". I have none of these characteristics of "Utah Natives". It's amazing to me how many mini-vans go down I-15 (between Salt Lake and Provo) in excess of 80mph-filled with children......

And yes-I brought my California equity and paid cash for a house.
I've had family in Utah for 30+ years, spent 10 years there myself, and still visit annually. It's funny to me how many of the reckless drivers I've seen and heard of had California plates. I actually nearly got hit head-on by a California driver going through Sardine Canyon who couldn't safely navigate the canyon in snow. Not that it matters, I just love your small brags in this thread. You can't understand how a $1500 work truck is a brag, but no you're not jealous because you drive a $50k truck. No, you're not native to Utah, you moved from Utah and paid cash for your house.

We get it. You've got a cool truck and a nice, paid off house. Sounds like life is going really well for you.

I've had family in Utah for 30+ years, spent 10 years there myself, and still visit annually. It's funny to me how many of the reckless drivers I've seen and heard of had California plates. I actually nearly got hit head-on by a California driver going through Sardine Canyon who couldn't safely navigate the canyon in snow. Not that it matters, I just love your small brags in this thread. You can't understand how a $1500 work truck is a brag, but no you're not jealous because you drive a $50k truck. No, you're not native to Utah, you moved from Utah and paid cash for your house.

We get it. You've got a cool truck and a nice, paid off house. Sounds like life is going really well for you.

I agree 100% Look at his past comments, nothing but smug/arrogant remarks. Some even telling him to stop commenting if he has nothing useful/productive to say

Bragging about a $50K truck, Buying a house cash and being a snob during a pandemic with many out of job and going hungry can BODY SLAM you in the KARMA arena and its NO FUN when KARMA hits you back !!!!

Dave

I agree 100% Look at his past comments, nothing but smug/arrogant remarks. Some even telling him to stop commenting if he has nothing useful/productive to say

Bragging about a $50K truck, Buying a house cash and being a snob during a pandemic with many out of job and going hungry can BODY SLAM you in the KARMA arena and its NO FUN when KARMA hits you back !!!!

Dave
Guys...I hear the block feature works real well on BITOG if you don't like my posts......

Maybe I could start a thread about which oil is best for cold starts, or something repetitive like every one else.

Guys...I hear the block feature works real well on BITOG if you don't like my posts......

Maybe I could start a thread about which oil is best for cold starts, or something repetitive like every one else.
I have no interest in blocking people. Really, I just don't understand your approach in this thread. I mean, here's your first post:
CKN said:
Love these "scores" bought a vehicle that has a motor quickly approaching the end of it's useful life-but I "scored". OK.

I can understand that, in your opinion, it may not have been a wise purchase. However, there are less antagonistic ways of saying that, and they all could've certainly excluded a wild assumption that the engine is nearing the "end of it's [sic] useful life" when you have no concrete way of knowing that.

On my 01 burban. Thanks I got lucky the owner had some very poor pics on FB marketplace (Possibly taken by a kid??) and i'm sure the HIGH mileage scared off a lot of people. Something told me to check it out and once I drove it around his neighborhood with the engine running smooth as butter(No noises), COLD A/C, Perfect interior I knew I had to buy it. And to this day, I STILL not regret buying it :cool: (y)

Dave
I love high mileage cars.
1) they are cheap. Bargain purchase price means less cash drawn from your wallet, and as a bonus, you do not have to worry about depreciation. Less cash up front leaves more budget for repairs (which will happen, but still are much cheaper than depreciation on a new or newish car).
2) if something has run way above average distance, odds are high that short tripping was not the main type of driving. Also, whoever puts a hell of a lot of miles on a car usually depends on the car - and thus is more inclined to take reasonably good care of it. Breaking down two blocks from home is a minor annoyance. Car breaking down in the middle of the night, with 300km to go, smack in the middle of nowhere with no hotel nor car rental company nearby and an important appointment next morning - well, that's a bit more unpleasant. You want to avoid that at all cost. A high-mileage car might have ruined upholstery on the driver seat and perhaps a power window not working, but usually chassis, engine and drivetrain are meticulously serviced.
3) most expensive things that can go wrong already have done so. So chassis bushings, shock absorbers, power steering, etc have been payed for by the previous owner and you still have another 100,000km or so left until they are due again.
4) survivorship bias. I something fails catastrophically because of a manufacturing defect etc, it does so relatively early. Once the car is past 300,000km, you can be pretty sure that you have no bodged parts on there waiting to blow up... you only worry about normal wear.
5) wait, did I mention already that most people are scared off high miles and therefore these cars are cheap? :D

Thanks to MOST of you for the positive comments and support for my $1500 BEATER WORK TRUCK that runs great and has ICE COLD A/C
(A must have here in Texas) lol

New Sept Update:

Currently @ 325K miles and doing just fine. This week I Treated her to a CAI upgrade from Amazon. Best $60 I ever spent on a car mod LMAO😎(y)

$60 included the Washable cone filter, Clamps, intake tubes, heat shield !!

Love the low end torque GROWL it now gives !!!!!! I took her on FUN "test drive" on I35 last night lol 🤣🤣😇

Next week she's getting a fresh Shell RGT 5W30 OCI with blue bottle lubegard oil protection :cool::sneaky:(y)

View attachment 29976
You’re supposed to put the oil in the engine not rub it all over the engine! 🤣. In all seriousness nice find, if it lasts six months and something major breaks you could still part the thing out and come close to even/free motoring.

You’re supposed to put the oil in the engine not rub it all over the engine! 🤣. In all seriousness nice find, if it lasts six months and something major breaks you could still part the thing out and come close to even/free motoring.

🤪ha ha That's Stoners trim shine. Best shine without a lot of the oil and stickiness

Ya this point with the mileage and age best I can do is monitor fluids, Check for any leaks, weird noises and keep up on my OCI's with full syn top tier oil 😉 😎 👍

For now she's a fuel and drive "burban". I wouldn't hesitate driving it to Canada to escape whats coming in November if I had to !!! 😉🤪

Dave

Back