Another movie mystery question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the summer of 1979 I went into a movie theater in Meadville PA and saw a movie about life in the founding years of the Mormons. It started out with the struggles they had just trying to stay alive in the primitive west. Then one winter the elders of the church had a problem in that a man who was married and had some young children died. They decided that they would chose someone who had a successful farm with a wife and kids and move the widow and her children into the successful farmers house and the widow would become an additional wife. One of the church leaders was very much against the idea, and it turned out that he was one of the first ones chosen to have to accept a widow and her children. They brought a widow and children to his house and knocked on his door and told him that from now on they were his responsibility.

There was a seen where an elderly married man with an elderly wife decided to take a second much younger wife, and the church elders stepped in and prevented that from happening.

And the very successful farmer who was one of the first to have to accept the responsibility of an additional wife and children to feed and house ended up having to accept many more over the years. I can't remember the number of wives he ended up with but I think it was something like 21 or 23 wives total. There was a seen where a big dance party was thrown and someone who was a representative of the federal government was there and that person was made aware of the man who had so many wives. He made a comment to the man with so many wives that he noticed that he had danced with one of his wives twice, and the man responded that that is his first wife.

The movie really brought up the point that back then polygamy was necessary for the survival of widows and their children in the rough country they lived in where there was no government system to support a widow and her children, and that the elders of the church chose who would have the added responsibility of taking them in and housing and feeding them.

I think the name of the movie was "Jeremiah Johnson the man with 23 wives" but I am not sure if I remember that name or the number of wives correctly.

Has anyone else on BITOG ever seen this movie and do you remember the correct name?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kira
Was it a musical?
. With 23 wives, more than likely a horror movie.

1. Probably not true. Just movie stuff to make it interesting.

2. NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING about someone else's religion, from someone not of that religion. Only believe stuff from those of that religion.

I've had people tell me the the beliefs of Mormons, Catholics, Jews, Amish, Islam, etc.
Just not true, unless you get it from someone of that religion. (Even then, people get it wrong).

I heard that when Noah was waterproofing and dry rot protecting the planks on his boat he used Supertech grease over the far more expensive but equally effective Amsoil grease.

Rather than describing the plot, it would probably help to know if this was a major studio release or something more akin to a historical documentary and if you remember any recognizable stars in the film. Was it new in 1979 or was it of an indeterminate age??

"Jeremiah Johnson" is a Redford movie from the early 70s and the plot doesn't line up with your description. I don't see a film title with "X number of wives" that fits that description but I might not have looked hard enough..

Without that, you can probably bet this will just degenerate into a locked religion thread with the predictable "overly opinionated and under experienced" comparative religion responses that don't answer your question..

Originally Posted by gman2304
Was it a musical?

lol.gif

Originally Posted by gman2304
Was it a musical?

I was going to say...

lol.gif

Originally Posted by ctrcbob
1. Probably not true. Just movie stuff to make it interesting.

2. NEVER BELIEVE ANYTHING about someone else's religion, from someone not of that religion. Only believe stuff from those of that religion.

I've had people tell me the the beliefs of Mormons, Catholics, Jews, Amish, Islam, etc.
Just not true, unless you get it from someone of that religion. (Even then, people get it wrong).

Well, there are things that certain religions believe and there's the things that the people of that religion actually believe and practice. They can be very far apart. I think it's human nature to assume people in other religions take their religion more serious and literal than we do.

I'm puzzled that a topic about the earlier days of a religion, be it movie or otherwise seemed like a good idea in a place religion shouldn't be discussed.

Furthermore why with easy access to several of the world's foremost search engines, BITOG was the first choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back