Another Massive Airbag Recall Coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Airbag inflators that were installed during the earlier massive Takata recall may need to replaced in the future.

https://www.bendbulletin.com/busine...d8c6aeb-de94-5b18-a87b-e310119d53fb.html

...NHTSA is carefully reviewing information regarding the safety of [newer] desiccated inflators to determine appropriate next steps," the agency said. It typically takes the NHSTA as long as 6 to 12 months to issue an official recall after it collects enough data.

...Global automakers may face another potentially huge air-bag recall as [NHTSA] evaluates the long-term safety of inflators made by bankrupt supplier Takata.......The Japanese parts maker pleaded guilty to a wire-fraud charge as part of a $1 billion settlement with the U.S. Justice Department over the air-bag problems, and later went out of business.

The manufacturing entity [TK Services] left after the supplier's implosion faces a Dec. 31 deadline to show the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that as many as 100 million inflators containing a chemical drying agent will be safe long-term.

If the supplier can't demonstrate the safety or durability of newer desiccant-equipped inflators, the U.S. agency may order that they be recalled as well. The total bill for another massive recall could reach tens of billions of dollars, with carmakers bearing the brunt of the costs.

A group of automakers involved in the recalls commissioned durability tests of the desiccant-equipped air bags and presented their findings to NHTSA in early October. The group, known as the Independent Testing Coalition, found that the drying agent provided significant protection. The group recommended a monitoring program for one inflator design in the riskiest climates while telling NHSTA that it believes the parts present no immediate safety risk.

"After 30 years of predicted aging, none of the studied inflator designs and propellant combinations predicted detrimental effects, except those subjected to the most severe conditions and vehicle temperature," David Kelly, the ITC's program director and a former NHTSA acting administrator, said in an October statement.

Even as the possibility of another massive recall looms, it would be on top of a recent expansion of Takata air-bag recalls. On Dec. 5, Takata told the NHTSA that another 1.4 million vehicles would have to be repaired.

Some automakers have already taken steps to recall desiccant-equipped air bags. In March, Honda Motor Co. voluntarily recalled about 1.1 million vehicles in the U.S. to replace inflators with the drying agent, which were installed in an earlier round of recalls. Honda said that the desiccant installed in Takata's air bags may have absorbed excessive moisture when they were manufactured in Mexico, potentially making the problem worse.

When our 2012 Sienna had this problem, I asked if they fixed it permanently or just installed the same problematic air bag that will need to be replaced again down the road? Never got a definitive answer, but doesn't surprise me as supply issues with new airbags were not there at the time...so the Band-Aid approach doesn't surprise me. Guess I will wait and see...

Tepco, Takata...etc Large Japanese corporations aren't the bastions of ethical goodness that many on here like to portray them as.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Tepco, Takata...etc Large Japanese corporations aren't the bastions of ethical goodness that many on here like to portray them as.

DITTO

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Nothing to see here, move along.

Remember that evil VW and their emission cheating that killed nobody? Yes get outraged about this instead.

I

I'm not outraged at all.

Originally Posted by hemitruck

Remember that evil VW and their emission cheating that killed nobody? Yes get outraged about this instead.

I

I'm not outraged at all.

Many people still appear to be despite VW not selling diesels anymore. It's often being brought up during the discussions about buying a VW.

I've yet to see someone say they will not buy, say Honda, because they continue to install faulty airbags that are known to have killed people.

Last edited:

It's funny, the media bashes VW, Tesla, et al but Toyota and Honda have carte blanche.

Toyota slapped a warning label on some Takata-equipped models that the airbag is safe for now but be prepared to get a recall notice from us within the next 4 years or sooner.

Last edited:
Yup, the initial round of recalls was just putting in new inflators. The issue is the old ones were rusting out, so new ones while still "defective" would not be rusting. This bought more time to get a permanent solution.

They weren't installed in just Honda's and Toyota's, guys. Here's a full list: https://www.nhtsa.gov/equipment/takata-recall-spotlight
Acura
Audi
BMW
Cadillac
Chevrolet
Chrysler
Daimler Trucks
Daimler Vans
Dodge
Ferrari
Fisker
Ford
GMC
Honda
Infiniti
Jaguar
Jeep
Land Rover
Lexus
Lincoln
Mazda
Mclaren
Mercedes-Benz
Mercury
Mitsubishi
Nissan
Pontiac
Saab
Saturn
Scion
Subaru
Tesla
Toyota
VW

I have a friend who is an engineer for another airbag manufacturer. He said they are SLAMMED, they can just barely keep up for new car orders, let alone replacement parts.

I recall that's why they used the same (bad) inflators for the first replacement-there was nothing else. Even doing that, I recall there was a sometimes multi-YEAR wait for parts!

Originally Posted by hemitruck
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

DITTO

I wonder from whom they learned to be that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back