Another Honda filter cut open

JHZR2

Staff member
Ran this two OCIs on our Odyssey, around 10k miles. Not much to see.

4234594E-E2EA-45A0-B1F6-324A7ECAA7C6.jpeg
DB92E18B-AD40-4967-AE14-5C4AD70364BA.jpeg

Those horrible, scary cardboard endcaps seem to be just fine for a Honda-prescribed double OCI…

What’s with all the copper flakes on the end-cap??
Lighting. Took these in pretty dark conditions with flash and garage/driveway lighting in the background. You can see the golden-orange glow on the red (Baldwin) filter as well.

I joined the Honda change the oil filter every other oil change club myself as well. I do 5000 OCI and using Fram Ultra filters I felt like I was just pi$$ing money away changing out the filter every oil change. I haven't worked up the courage to go more than 2 oil changes on Fram Ultra although it would probably be ok.

I do see something, the end cap and center tube aren’t lined up. I see the exposed center tube, a glue bead, then no glue. The glue is missing, right at the exposed center tube edge. This is the outlet side.

I do see something, the end cap and center tube aren’t lined up. I see the exposed center tube, a glue bead, then no glue. The glue is missing, right at the exposed center tube edge. This is the outlet side.
All the media was firmly affixed to the end caps. There was no looseness or gaps. I check that because the FU cartridge I used once in my BMW failed at that junction in a media to plastic design.

All the media was firmly affixed to the end caps. There was no looseness or gaps. I check that because the FU cartridge I used once in my BMW failed at that junction in a media to plastic design.
The second picture shows, in the area below your finger, the edge of the center tube is exposed and not under the end cap. The black glue bead is seen going around the center tube, then the glue stops about in the middle of the exposed center tube edge.

The second picture shows, in the area below your finger, the edge of the center tube is exposed and not under the end cap. The black glue bead is seen going around the center tube, then the glue stops about in the middle of the exposed center tube edge.

Ive cut a bunch of these open and although the glue line isnt uniform - there haven't been gaps. It appears worse than it is.

On the 2 OCI's per FCI this is always and amusing topic loaded with underwear analogy, but in reality a full on no brainer even for mid tier filters like this one.

I cant remember a failed one on Bitog.

Thanks JHZR2.

I was talking the media to the end caps. You were talking center tube, so we were talking past each other a bit.

I’m not sure IF (and that’s a big if) that was not glued/disconnected that it would matter. The media to the end caps makes the filtration integrity. The center tube just provides some backing and stiffness as well as flow distribution.

The gap doesn't matter, that's been discussed many times which you were in those discussions - the leaf spring or the ADBV makes a seal on the end cap. If that is "glue" (only the OP can verify), it doesn't look to be anything that would come off. Ever look down the center tube of about any oil filter made ... there's typically a big bead of glue around the end cap on the dome end where it meets the inside of the center tube.

I was talking the media to the end caps. You were talking center tube, so we were talking past each other a bit.

I’m not sure IF (and that’s a big if) that was not glued/disconnected that it would matter. The media to the end caps makes the filtration integrity. The center tube just provides some backing and stiffness as well as flow distribution.
I could see that we were talking about different things. I was talking about the glue coming off the joint because the center tube acts like a knife blade. The filter is not designed to be made with the center tube protruding inside of the fiber end cap. I think it does matter about the glue. It goes into the engine and either passes through or lands somewhere. This is not gluing as designed on the engineering drawing. The cap has a glue bead going around until the area where center tube is protruding, then the glue is mostly missing. This is manufacturing error, and it’s very common on this type of Fram.

The filter is not designed to be made with the center tube protruding inside of the fiber end cap. This is not gluing as designed on the engineering drawing.

How would you know ... do you have the "engineering drawings" in front of you? Is this one "per drawing"?

1654238936523.png

Last edited:
Ran this two OCIs on our Odyssey, around 10k miles. Not much to see.

View attachment 102263View attachment 102264

Those horrible, scary cardboard endcaps seem to be just fine for a Honda-prescribed double OCI…

I'm caught between running this Honda filter or a Fram Force filter on my new to me 2006 Acura TL.

I believe the Honda filter is 99 percent at 20 microns like the Frame Force filter.

Back