Another Goodbye and Hello...

Thanks. It has a dry sump oil system and if you Google 'Porsche 993 oil diagram', German over engineering (over complication?) comes to mind. This is just the tank plumbing, not engine, the 2 filters, oil thermostat...
View attachment 128404

wow ! I’ve got it easy with my ‘02 Jaguar XKR. It only has 4 external rubber / metal oil cooler hoses. But when one of them blew out, it only took about 60 seconds to lose 8 quarts of brand new Mobil 1 0w-40. (And the failed hose was only 3 years old).

Z

34B18665-06F6-49B0-8033-B72EF37E34F8.jpeg

Like. Even the early ones with the basket handle CHMSLs.

Please don't "restomod" it.
Absolutely not....only planned changes are the OE optional, contemporary three spoke 'sport' steering wheel and cocomats. I just do not like the 4 spoke design, yes I know it ties back to an earlier 911 wheel, but I think they are unattractive, and I have cocomats in most of my fun cars....they just look right in a 911.

Hi, it is a 1996. First year of some nice improvements to the 993; Varioram, etc.

Here is the inspection shot from another thread;
View attachment 128463
By all accts, a very nice P-Car! Note that the '96-'98 993's do suffer from Secondary Air Injection carboning-up...not so the '95. Is it possible that '95 is OBD I, whereas the '96-'98 are OBD II, though this may be unrelated?

Rationalizing the toys and the Lotus got voted off the island...I will miss her, hardly drove her, but time for someone else to enjoy her. Decided on 495 that as fun as the car is sometimes, it is rather unpleasant to live with...or I am getting older. Selling some others too, time to slim down.

Found a time warp, un 'improved', super low miles 993 in a great color....every Euro enthusiast needs to own an air cooler once in their life. And, given this is BITOG, she will get ~11qts of Redline 10w-50 and both filters will be Mahle.
View attachment 128399
Life is short...enjoy it!

Take care with the new Porsche addition. The oversteer is a killer. My brother bought one of the first 911 Turbo’s (AKA whale tail ?).

Although he did die in the car, it wasn’t the oversteer that killed him. But he did relate to me on many occasions how steep and difficult the learning curve was in order to be able to get all the performance the car was capable of.

I guess you would call it a freak accident that took him. Fate doesn’t care about bad timing. My brother was headed to work one day and was southbound going under a railroad overpass. At the same instant he emerged from the overpass, a northbound truck with a trailer that was too high to fit under the overpass hit it and turned over into the southbound lanes, crushing my brother and his beloved Porsche.

I know he would’ve been embarrassed to have been killed while going only 35 mph…

Z

It's a looker 🥰

I remember Wheeler Dealers did a aqua blue 993 a few years back (Edd was still on)

Working on the Varioram and the powered rear spoiler

Enjoy it ☺️

Please don't pull a Paul Walker on us (old+cold tires), don't skimp on the rubber

"Pleasantly surprised by a dealer"....said nobody, ever... Well, except for me today;) Has a few options not noted by Dealer; mechanical LSD and 'enhanced engine sound package'....now to read what that is.

Despite the PPI and loads of pics, and given the final price (certainly not near top of the range...though the air cooled market has softened) I was expecting more faults, wear, etc., but am pleasantly surprised so far. This is truly a time warp machine.

Initial driving experience is interesting and distinct from the 996;
-much stiffer ride, but no squeaks or rattles
-clutch breaks at a tricky spot, will take getting used to
-floor mounted pedals take some familiarization, see above
-fast...same as the 996 but feels faster, more visceral
-much more engaging than the 996
-obviously more hand built (last of them for Porsche) than following cars; panels screwed on, exposed fasteners, etc.
-my first driving impression? reminded me of my Wife's Golf R....seriously
-European style immobilizers of the day are annoying...

p993i.jpg

p993m.jpg

Last edited:
uIt's a looker 🥰

I remember Wheeler Dealers did a aqua blue 993 a few years back (Edd was still on)

Working on the Varioram and the powered rear spoiler

Enjoy it ☺️

Please don't pull a Paul Walker on us (old+cold tires), don't skimp on the rubber
Thanks. Funny, it came wearing a set of not too old Conti DWS tires...this was a Southern car, not sure why someone would choose the all weather tires variant, so I will probably replace them in the Spring, ether w/ the DW version, Pirellis, or the Vredestein Sprint+. The Vredestein S+ is supposedly designed for the 964/993/996 and looks like a period tire. I have some loyalty to Vredestein as they have long been a supplier of appropriate tires in 'orphan' sizes e.g. for the TR6, BMW 2002. I am concerned by price point though, they are inexpensive....not that paying more always provides a better product, but it is generally true.

On a related point, during this search I was surprised by the number of nice cars I saw with low end tires, one example; Sailun Altrezzo's on a very nice G body 911... Big red flag for me, what else was skimped on??

Last edited:
Take care with the new Porsche addition. The oversteer is a killer. My brother bought one of the first 911 Turbo’s (AKA whale tail ?).

The 993 ushered in the use of the mutli-link rear suspension, and away from the old swing arm and semi-trailing arm designs so popular in the older European cars with IRS. Not a license to be stupid, given the rear-biased weight distribution, but much improved compared to the 930, and much better geometry/contorl over what the rear wheels are doing.

That makes it the sweet spot of 911s, last of the old school air-cooled design, with modern technology to address its most pressing faults.

Thanks. Funny, it came wearing a set of not too old Conti DWS tires...this was a Southern car, not sure why someone would choose the all weather tires variant, so I will probably replace them in the Spring, ether w/ the DW version, Pirellis, or the Vredestein Sprint+. The Vredestein S+ is supposedly designed for the 964/993/996 and looks like a period tire. I have some loyalty to Vredestein as they have long been a supplier of appropriate tires in 'orphan' sizes e.g. for the TR6, BMW 2002. I am concerned by price point though, they are inexpensive....not that paying more always provides a better product, but it is generally true.

On a related point, during this search I was surprised by the number of nice cars I saw with low end tires, one example; Sailun Altrezzo's on a very nice G body 911... Big red flag for me, what else was skimped on??

Don't have any experience with the DW, but do have a set of the ECS, which supplanted it, on the BMW. Those looking for a Pilot Sport substitute may be disappointed, but it's a good value, more budget-friendly tire that was the most modern of its class peers at the time. Nearing the end of the road on the current set, but plan to get another.

Back