Another Civic Down

At first I thought it was riot damage. My sympathy for all the crap you are going through. This too shall pass!

Originally Posted by JTK
Sorry this happened and I'm glad your family wasn't hurt, but would you even want that Honda fixed?

Just curious how this will get handled.

They will report the incident to their insurer, and the insurer will either (A) have it repaired back to original condition or (B) total it and send a check to the OP for the market value of the vehicle. The OP will likely have to reimburse the insurer for the deductible. If the most likely option (A) is taken by the insurer, the OP can then sell or keep the repaired car at his option.

It's under Comprehensive coverage. Deductible does apply.

If someone other than the guy can be found responsible for his falling, your insurance company could subrogate what they paid to that third party. They usually get your deductible back as well then.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Originally Posted by skyactiv
My dad is a retired attorney. Your daughter needs to do a free consultation with a good law firm. If this happened in California, your wife and daughter would most likely get $100K for emotional distress. In the SE U.S., who knows.
The property insurance?

So some guy offs himself and you want to sue the building owner? Why is that?

Scott

Just like I said, a George Costanza event.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Originally Posted by JTK
Sorry this happened and I'm glad your family wasn't hurt, but would you even want that Honda fixed?

Just curious how this will get handled.

They will report the incident to their insurer, and the insurer will either (A) have it repaired back to original condition or (B) total it and send a check to the OP for the market value of the vehicle. The OP will likely have to reimburse the insurer for the deductible. If the most likely option (A) is taken by the insurer, the OP can then sell or keep the repaired car at his option.

I should have worded that differently. I get how it will be handled and fixed, but i'm not sure I'd want that car knowing someone smashed to their death on it. Was curious if the insurer would just total it out because of the circumstances.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

Just like I said, a George Costanza event.

Yep and the very reason we're forced to pay what we do for insurance coverage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SLO_Town
My dad is a retired attorney. Your daughter needs to do a free consultation with a good law firm. If this happened in California, your wife and daughter would most likely get $100K for emotional distress. In the SE U.S., who knows.
The property insurance?

So some guy offs himself and you want to sue the building owner? Why is that?

Scott

That had been suggested to me as well from an outside source. The main thought behind it was that this recent incident is the 3rd or 4th in 2 years. Whether that makes the building owners liable for not putting up extended railings, who knows. Seems a bit of a stretch. For now, the incident is in the insurance companies hands. How I go forward from here is up to them. Should they decide to fix the car I will be going up to get it and bring it back home. I do not want to have it repaired 350 miles away. There's no way a repair shop gets it right the first time out and I'm not driving it back up there to have them correct it. Even if I have to foot the bill for a tow dolly, I'm sure I can get a friend with a truck to help me go fetch.

As for damage under the hood.
Shattered valve cover
Core Support
Shattered coolant lines
Appears as though the firewall has been compromised/bent
All the body damage, hood/fender/bumper/etc
All of the driving aids are knocked offline as well, camera and radar

That's what I saw with about a 30-second inspection while waiting for the tow truck.

As for PTSD, The kid is already in therapy for the last accident (The one that took out my Wife's Accord, again not their fault, leveled by a box truck) so this will just be added on top of that. For me, its just daily stress that I deal with(Law Enforcement). As cold and unfeeling as it sounds, I don't really care about the dude dying, he made his selfish choice and now I'm having to deal with the consequences of that as a completely innocent bystander. If he has any estate to go after, I likely will. Does it suck? Yep, it sure does, but plenty of us are playing this adult game that have to pay for our own choices, and so should he, even in death.

Think that covers everything, really just waiting around for the adjuster to tell us what they're going to do.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its a total. You should have to pay nothing as this was a situation that is out of your hands yet tied up in your hands. Get an attorney.

The property insurance?

Who is the party at fault, the dead person's estate? Good luck with that one.

I would definitely get the name of the deceased. I think your best bet is a claim against his estate. Hopefully he wasn't jumping due to the performance of his stock portfolio.

Still going through the process. Finally got the information of the deceased. I'm not sure there's going to be any estate there to go after. He was 26yo with a 1yo kid and long term girlfriend. His family is currently trying to raise money to do a service for him. The resort is still a possibility. Waiting to see what the ins company does with the car before we make any decisions on any legal actions.

To heck with every thing else. Don’t even bring the car home and send your daughter and wife to a therapist. This is gonna mess them up. Especially your daughter.

Well, here's the problem with not bringing the car home. It's 350 miles away and is racking up storage fees while the insurance company takes their sweet time. If they decide to repair instead of replace, I'm not having it repaired at a shop 350 miles away and I'm not going to be responsible for the storage bill. I do not carry towing on my policy and therefore I'm on the hook for it until the company decides otherwise, so unless the insurance company tells me by Wednesday 'we're going to total it' then I'm going to go get it Saturday and drop it off at my preferred body shop. I would rather the car be much closer for any kind of dealing with the insurance company.

To heck with every thing else. Don’t even bring the car home and send your daughter and wife to a therapist. This is gonna mess them up. Especially your daughter.

The therapist is already in works. The wife and daughter have already decided that if the car is repaired they are going to sell it. Doesn't matter to me, I have a backstory on that car and if they want to lose their a** on it, that's their call.

The backstory is, her grandfather wanted to buy her a car for her birthday. I gave my opinion, which was, do not buy a brand new car, the insurance will be outrageous and I'm not paying that. Well, the grandad bought a brand new car and said he would pay the insurance, and then when all was said and done, didn't. So I was stuck with it, so I'm plenty pissed with the whole situation.

So basically, when I get the car back home, I'm washing my hands of it, the wife can do whatever she wants to with it.

And yes, I'm aware that is a screwed up situation for a marriage, but he who is married that hasn't had his wife go off and do something not smart...I'd like to meet you.

And yes, I'm aware that is a screwed up situation for a marriage, but he who is married that hasn't had his wife go off and do something not smart...I'd like to meet you.
And vice versa, of course. Sounds pretty normal to me. I recently spoke to one of my college professors from 44 years ago and when I mention being married 43 years, he stated " that means you learned to live with each other, faults and all". Yep.

Best to you. This shall pass and make you stronger.

I daresay in my marriage it's been me buying the expensive items that we regretted... I mean, I have a dislike/hate relationship with her dog, but that dog's costs pale in comparison to what I've spent on houses & cars.

But yeah, sometimes you just have to roll with it...

47 yrs married " But yeah, sometimes you just have to roll with it.." My buddy calls it "pleasing the wife-god" I call it "preserving domestic tranquility"

ctechbob

I'm surprised the car didn't cushion his fall enough where he would have lived. Maybe if he hit the Roof on his back instead.

Absolutely shocking and bizarre.

Get help for your daughter, she may have PTSD in the coming weeks.

Be Well.

I daresay in my marriage it's been me buying the expensive items that we regretted... I mean, I have a dislike/hate relationship with her dog, but that dog's costs pale in comparison to what I've spent on houses & cars.

But yeah, sometimes you just have to roll with it...

I might have mentioned this before, but back in 2007 we were remodeling our kitchen and my wife wanted to install a double convection oven. On another mail list I asked about the best oven brands and one guy opined that she probably didn't need a double oven. I replied:

"My wife doesn't ask why I want a 300+ hp 155 mph car to drive to work, and I'm not asking her why she needs a double oven. H*ll, I don't care if she gets a triple oven."

Likewise, when I bought my Speed Triple a couple of friends asked what my wife said when I told her I was buying a motorcycle; her exact words: "If you are going to have a mid-life crisis I prefer that you have an affair with something with two wheels instead of two legs."

Please tell me that is not a "no parking" sign your car is setting on. I can see the insurance company getting real huffy over that.
Good luck
Smoky

Back