Annoying grease gun leakage fix?

I have one of those mini grease guns that takes the small cartridges. I only use it for one thing: marine wheel bearing grease for my boat trailer. I went to use it today and it only lasted a few pumps. I pulled down on the piston lever and a giant glob of grease spewed out the bottom. It turns out the whole cartridge had flowed around the piston and was behind it in the tube. Between the slick hands and general greasiness I managed to dump out and waste most of the grease, which appeared to be about a third of a tube. Is the only fix for this a new grease gun?

You are supposed to store the grease gun horizontally with the plunger pulled back for long term storage.

Or not use M1 grease.. whichever is applicable :censored:

You are supposed to store the grease gun horizontally with the plunger pulled back for long term storage.

Or not use M1 grease.. whichever is applicable :censored:
I tried, but in the time it took to grease both axles it had already leaked past the piston. I had managed to recover the grease the first time but within five minutes it all came squirting out the back.

sounds like a grease gun issue then.
I thought you meant you picked it up from shed and went to use it.. not that it happened fast.

Welcome to the club, I have the same issue with 2 mini guns. 1 was a Mercruiser special that came with 3 tubes of Mercury Marine grease and the other was from Wally's. I have about given up on them.

Take it apart and see what the piston ring/seal/whatever looks like. If you stored it in an unheated garage, I'd store elsewhere warmer for winter use. Granted in our area it was unseasonably warm yesterday so probably not the issue THIS time.

I just love it when I pick up a grease gun and walk across the shop only to turn around and there is 35 drips across the floor, several on a boot or 2 and of coarse 4 or 5 on the jeans.
You cannot buy grease or a gun that won’t leak... fact. Years ago a wise man said on here that the only way to keep a grease gun clean is don’t load it and keep all your cartridges on a rag in your freezer. Grease guns have not changed for 75 years and until they get rid of the plunger t handle and install a sealed piston we will always has this problem.

Back