Angled parking with one-way rows....why do people pull through?

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I notice this a lot at a grocery near my house...one-way rows in the parking lot with angled parking. Angled parking that you pull into is supposed to alleviate some of the issues with backing out of standard parking spaces as you can more clearly see and it's safer as cars are only coming one way. I love pull-throughs in normal parking lots (spaces perp to the row with 2-way traffic on the row) and usually do so far away to avoid door dings, accidents, etc. Why do folks do this in lots with angled parking? You can still pull out and make the wide turn if you do pull through to go the correct direction but seems like more of a PITA if you have a truck/larger vehicle and to boot, many go the wrong way down the row when they pull out. Do you pull-through in angled parking like this?

I normally park normal. If I pull through I will be going against traffic when I leave. The exception is if I'm pulling a trailer and I need both stalls.
Exactly. In a small car you can make that turn and go the correct way but in a large truck/SUV with vehicles on either side it may be tough to avoid clipping the f. bumper of that vehicle.

I don't usually pull through because so many tall vehicles, what if I'm doing that while someone tries to park in the space I'm pulling through and there is a collision? I mean I can stop in time but what if the other vehicle doesn't? I might technically still be found at fault. I never park extra far away trying to avoid door digs, just get the closest spot to the door that isn't handicapped.

I can understand that some people are paranoid about backing up, can't do it well. I don't really understand their disorientation but I also had a neighbor that would do anything to avoid driving on the interstate, which is where I'd rather be if given a choice.

I suppose this is a common thing though, now vehicles have backup cameras while a long time ago I regularly drive a van that didn't even have rear door windows so seeing behind was always using side mirrors. Never backed over anything, never left a baby in my back seat, never drifted into another lane or needed it to park itself either. Then again I wasn't too busy on my phone to do these things. I digress, times change.

I should mention that angled parking is very rare here, seldom done on multi-row lots.

I don't usually pull through because so many tall vehicles, what if I'm doing that while someone tries to park in the space I'm pulling through and there is a collision? I mean I can stop in time but what if the other vehicle doesn't? I might technically still be found at fault. I never park extra far away trying to avoid door digs, just get the closest spot to the door that isn't handicapped.

I can understand that some people are paranoid about backing up, can't do it well. I don't really understand their disorientation but I also had a neighbor that would do anything to avoid driving on the interstate, which is where I'd rather be if given a choice.

I suppose this is a common thing though, now vehicles have backup cameras while a long time ago I regularly drive a van that didn't even have rear door windows so seeing behind was always using side mirrors. Never backed over anything, never left a baby in my back seat, never drifted into another lane or needed it to park itself either. Then again I wasn't too busy on my phone to do these things. I digress, times change.

I should mention that angled parking is very rare here, seldom done on multi-row lots.
I always park and walk - it's good for me, less stressful, often is faster than driving back/forth and looking for a spot closer and in the end....reduces risk. That's my reasoning.

I don't find parking stressful, just pull out very slow till I can see around adjacent vehicle. I seldom even use my backup camera except pulling into my garage, because it's a 90' turn to get in, and in case someone had left something where it shouldn't be.

I don't drive around a lot for best spot, just take the closest open one I see.

I have pulled through on occasion, but it's almost always if I'm parked in a distant part of the parking lot or at odd times of the day where there's few or no cars around. Otherwise, as you mentioned, it's a pain to make that wide turn when there's a ton of cars parked around you. Much easier to park the correct way in that situation.

I haven't seen angled parking in some time.

As a rule I pull through. I back up so little I'm not all that great at it... Still, why bother backing up when I can just pick a spot out in the back 40 and pull through? I sure can use the extra walking, and I like to think I'm avoiding door dings also.

It depends on the vehicle. With the roadster with the top up it's safer to pull through going forward because backward visibility is nigh zero, although I have a backup camera, and I can easily turn into the correct direction going forward. One-way parking lanes cannot be trusted here. People go the wrong way all the time here. With the Lincoln I have to back out.

I think the thread is getting deraillled a bit but maybe I'm wrong....

I'm talking specifically about parking lots with angled parking not "normal" parking lots.

Around here nobody follows those arrows on the angled parking and you get people trying to make 3 point turns to park.

In the company truck, company policy is back-in parking. with the end result being the same as pull-through parking. Fortunately Walmart has the only angled parking spots, but most lanes are two way.

I like to pull through or back in for best visibility on leaving. Any crazy thing is possible in a parking lot, but actually crashing head-on while pulling through and someone arriving from the other side is one of the least likely.

Pulling out after being parked tail in of course requires a small car or a two-way aisle or you'll be going the wrong way.

I'll pull thru angle parking but in a deserted area of the lot where I can exit in the proper direction. I will often pull thru straight parking areas such as stadium lots and the like. It's a PITA trying to back out when +40k people are trying to exit the lot.

Downtown has an extreme lack of parking. Some streets have angled parking on the curb. Most drivers will cross the double-yellow, making an illegal u-turn to pull into the space, always crooked and over the line. This creates a messed up domino effect eventually rendering a space down the line unusable.

In the company truck, company policy is back-in parking. with the end result being the same as pull-through parking. Fortunately Walmart has the only angled parking spots, but most lanes are two way.
The last company I worked at was the same - "reverse parking only" - we had angled spots at one of the sites and what a @#@ show to the point that we just changed the direction of flow of the parking lot to accommodate.

I pull through whenever I can. People drive way too fast in parking lots and my peripheral vision is far better looking forward. I don't trust people to drive the correct way down the lanes so I need my head on a swivel.

Related question - I typically park way in the back by myself, and when I come out, there is someone parked right next to me way in the back by ourselves. I am not worried about door dings but I don't care to ding anyone else. Are they making some sort of statement to me, or are they just sheep?

I tend not to pull through because if I do some "smart" person will pull right upto the back of my vehicle and I cant load the groceries in the hatch easily.

Back