Android Smartphone AntiVirus Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I need to load an antivirus app on my LG smartphone that is running the latest Android OS.

What are you guys using that works well and is effective. I have many free antivirus apps to choose from the Google app store.

Why do you feel you need an antivirus? Unless you're downloading third party apps outside of the Play Store, or something extremely obscure it is not necessary.

I use CM Security Master for my LG phone and Samsung tablet. Its also able to boost memory, battery life and lock apps. It has great reviews too.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I need to load an antivirus app on my LG smartphone

Why?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Why do you feel you need an antivirus? Unless you're downloading third party apps outside of the Play Store, or something extremely obscure it is not necessary.

Because last night some kind malware or virus popped up on my screen that looked almost like some kind of ransomware. I didn't sit there and analyze it much, just closed out all web pages to get out of it. I was on a local news station website when it popped up for no reason. I looked at the browsing history on my phone and got the website address, and it looks like some kind of Asian malware/virus from what I can tell from Google searching it. I have no idea why it popped up when on was on a supposed legitimate local news station's website.

Smartphones are just as susceptible to malware and viruses as a desktop computer. Maybe even more so since there is so much garbage ads and other non-sense click bait all over the place.

There are many malware and antivirus apps for smartphones ... I see that Bitdefender and Malwarebytes even have free apps.

OVERKILL, if I give you the website address of the pop-up that looked like some kind of virus could you tell me anything more about it? Seems you have some good tools to look at stuff like that. I could PM you the address.

OVERKILL, if I give you the website address of the pop-up that looked like some kind of virus could you tell me anything more about it? Seems you have some good tools to look at stuff like that. I could PM you the address.

Sure, go right ahead.

BTW, this is a new smartphone and I've only downloaded 2 apps so far, both from the Google Play Store, so I doubt it stemmed from a downloaded application.

1) Weather Underground
2) A scientific calculator

I took a couple of screenshots of the website address, so I'll just post the .png screenshots here (instead of PM-ing OVERKILL) since there is no way to click the links. It was stubborn to get to shutdown, and it didn't want to go away until I closed all open browsing windows.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Probably just need to close all tabs and clear all app and browser cache.

I have lookout on my phone though.

That's what I had to do in order for it to go away. I have "Lookout" on my phone too, but it didn't give me any warnings or notifications that something was going on.

I wonder how many legitimate websites like the local news station have hidden virus/malware in them. I doubt they checkout every ad they allow on their site. I try not to click on any ads or other garbage (which there seems to be TONS of). Maybe in this case I inadvertently hit an ad link or something that caused this to pop up.

Maybe it's from the XXX websites you are visiting ?

LOL, just kidding
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I use CM Security Master for my LG phone and Samsung tablet. Its also able to boost memory, battery life and lock apps. It has great reviews too.
Pray tell, does it also improve your fuel economy and engine smoothness?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Maybe it's from the XXX websites you are visiting ?

LOL, just kidding
grin2.gif

Probably more viruses on XXX websites than any other place, therefore I stay far away from that stuff. Guess it would be a good place to test out your Antivirus and Malware software for effectiveness.

BTW, this is a new smartphone and I've only downloaded 2 apps so far, both from the Google Play Store, so I doubt it stemmed from a downloaded application.

1) Weather Underground
2) A scientific calculator

I took a couple of screenshots of the website address, so I'll just post the .png screenshots here (instead of PM-ing OVERKILL) since there is no way to click the links. It was stubborn to get to shutdown, and it didn't want to go away until I closed all open browsing windows.

The domain is registered in Panama but it is likely actually Chinese, as I see it coming up in some of the Chinese ad-revenue channels. Likely a malware hijack/ransomware like you surmised. Wouldn't have much effect on your phone, but I can definitely understand your concern. These things are generally written for Windows.

This is one of those situations where, if you wanted to know more, you'd put it in a Windows scratch VM on a Linux box running through a PFSense VM firewall and follow the link and see what it downloads, from where, and where it calls out to.

^^^ Thanks for the info OVERKILL. I was just browsing the new channel's normal website, not through an Android App for the website, so that makes sense that it didn't mess up my phone because it was probably written for Windows. Guess I'll NOT browse that news website on my desktop running Windows.

^^^ Thanks for the info OVERKILL. I was just browsing the new channel's normal website, not through an Android App for the website, so that makes sense that it didn't mess up my phone because it was probably written for Windows. Guess I'll NOT browse that news website on my desktop running Windows.

Yup, it happens. One of the well known Audio forums was recently hijacked with a redirect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back