Analyze and Critique

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Bright Stock a common term used for a Group I base oil. Haven't heard the term in a while because not many are using it anymore in SM oils. I believe it has little if any advantages over a group II oil besides solvency.

Seems like the rest of the claims could be used on almost any oil.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Please analyze and critique these claims from a racing oil brochure (emphasis mine) with respect to the tribology and chemistry you have learned here on BITOG:

quote:

Racing Oil
The products are formulated with world-renowned "Bright Stock", which imparts a natural affinity to cling-on to exposed metal surfaces. Additionally, this unique component provides the ultimate in lubrication technology by creating an unprecedented hydrodynamic barrier, which provides critical full-fil strength protection and enhanced shock load capability to protect highly stressed engines. Our "exotic" racing oils provide:

Excellent oxidation and shear stability characteristics.
Outstanding anti-foam system.
ZDDP additive for strong anti-wear protection.
Exceptional high temperature protection from thermal breakdown.
Exceeds the performance requirements of API Service SJ.

Here's my critique... some of them are guesses, but I'll guess anyway!

Bright Stock is world-renowned by who? Bright Stock is just Group I refined petroleum oil. If so, it won't have the polar-affinity for metal that ester-based oils do. (and PAOs? I'm not sure about PAOs)

BTW, wouldn't additives plate-up bare metal surfaces? Unless your molecules are attracted to additive-plated-metal, isn't it a moot point? (and wouldn't the same be true of any oil? That's a noggin scratcher... MolaKule, can you comment on that one?)

By definition, shock loads squeeze out the hydrodynamic oil wedge, and force you into the barrier lube regime, where your plated additives protect from metal-on-metal contact. Your base oil isn't going to help you with shock loading, unless it's high viscosity... and no more than any other base oil of the same viscosity. Plus, isn't shock loading more of a problem for transmissions (gear teeth?) rather than engines?

Exceptional oxidation and shear stability? Perhaps the same as other Group I base oils, but nothing compared to Group II, III, III+, IV or V base oils.

Outstanding antifoam -> maybe, can't tell, they may indeed have an outstanding antifoam additive package.

ZDDP antiwear claim... yes, ZDDP is an antiwear additive... but more additive does not necessarily mean better protection. Additive balance is key (also, slight antioxidant effect of ZDDP)

High temp protection from thermal breakdown? See bright stock = Group I base oil argument. Sure, it'll have protection, but the base oil is among the least able to protect against this.

Exceeds API SJ? That's no claim to fame... we're now at API SM PCMOs. What, did they find some barrels of oil lying around, buy it cheap, type up some advertising dreck, and try to sell this stuff for a premium?

Professor Molakule, can I leave early for my next class? Thanks
smile.gif

[ May 19, 2005, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: bigpaulo ]

Please analyze and critique these claims from a racing oil brochure (emphasis mine) with respect to the tribology and chemistry you have learned here on BITOG:

quote:

Racing Oil
The products are formulated with world-renowned "Bright Stock", which imparts a natural affinity to cling-on to exposed metal surfaces. Additionally, this unique component provides the ultimate in lubrication technology by creating an unprecedented hydrodynamic barrier, which provides critical full-fil strength protection and enhanced shock load capability to protect highly stressed engines. Our "exotic" racing oils provide:

Excellent oxidation and shear stability characteristics.
Outstanding anti-foam system.
ZDDP additive for strong anti-wear protection.
Exceptional high temperature protection from thermal breakdown.
Exceeds the performance requirements of API Service SJ.

It's some offbeat company (you can find them on the web by searching a string from the quote). I would not buy anything from this company.

(from lubrizol) Bright Stock — A heavy residual lubricant stock with low pour point used in finished blends to provide good bearing film strength, prevent scuffing, and reduce oil consumption. Usually identified by its viscosity (SUS at 210°F or cSt at 100°C).

The only problem I see with the ad is "bright stock" and "zddp" are used with the wording "exotic" racing oil. Nothing exotic here?

Brightstock 150 was used (and still is) in many twostroke oils for antiscuff ability. It burns kind of dirty so has been replaced in many oils with PIB synthetic. Some blenders and engine makers (Rotax for example) still hold that PIB is not as good as brightstock in their testing (run to the point of seizure). So even though its grp1 and not exotic, it may still have its place? maybe in grease, LOL.

Was going to say "Penrite", or "Lucas".

But will have to suggest "Renegade Racing"

edit...not many oil sites have good music.

The point is to simply critique the information and not to identify the manufacturer.

WileyE and others are correct in that the combination of zddp and brightstock are not new or exotic technologies.

With the correct combination of components, even a Group I might work OK for a race or two.

Working with an oil analyst is still the best approach no matter what oil you use.

But please continue to critique.

mechtech,
I'd see it work mainly in frequent start-up...maybe at a drag racing day or a hill climb or such.

Bright Stock is simply a high molecular weight mineral oil. Most all oils contain ZDDP at some level. SJ specs. are superseded and weren't that hard to meet. All modern motor oils designed for SI or CI have anti-foam agents.

The add is just marketing to me. It's probably a very ordinary hi-viscosity motor oil with SJ allowed levels of zddp.

Believe it or not, it was from a Racing Oil advertisement.

You guys win the "Distinguished Debunkers" award.

Is there such a thing as a highly refined brightstock, grp3 if you will? as opposed to grp1? I know of a couple of oils (high output twocycle) that imply they use something like this. Both market against the use of synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back