An observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil in my 08 Tacoma. It had Mobil 1 (5W30) and a Mobil 1 filter. Replaced this oil with Castrol Edge (5W30) and a Purolator Pure One filter. My truck is noticeably quieter and I gained a full 1 mpg. Now Im not bashing Exxon Mobil as I like their product and Im not claiming that the Castrol got me that gain in mileage. As the subject of this post states...an observation.

New oil vs. old oil, maybe? People frequently make similar observations when they change their oil.

The return of lower RVP blend gas?
I've recently seen unmistakable improvements in fuel economy in all four of our fleet, which I think must mark the return of summer blend fuels to the region.

M1 5w30 is 1.5 Cst's higher than Edge. It will make an improvement. M1 5w30 is thicker than M1 10w30 at 100* C.

My GF's car gained 1mpg or alittle more going from high mileage Pennzoil to syn-blend Pennzoil (SUV). It's about 1 Cst difference there.

M1 5w30 Cst@100= 11.3

Edge 5w30 Cst@100= 9.8

I find little if any difference in fuel consumption with any weight.
This may be an product of how we use our cars, since they are rarely driven less than ten miles from first start of the day.
I have seen a real improvement in fuel consumption in all of them in the past few weeks, although nothing has had its oil changed since early March.
I can only think that it must be the fuel, since I have not changed any oil.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've recently seen unmistakable improvements in fuel economy in all four of our fleet, which I think must mark the return of summer blend fuels to the region.

Interesting, I didnt think a lower RVP would increase MPG. Never heard of that, but am not saying its not true. And its only been like 4 days of summer blends. You have noticed a difference in that time? Im not flamming you or saying your full of it, dont get me wrong... Im just interested in this stuff
20.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

I noticed the same thing last week.

There is more to seasonal gasoline than the RVP.
There are other changes to Summer fuel - which also make it more expensive!

Going from one 5-30 to another 5-30 and getting a full MPG increase has other factors, IMO.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
There is more to seasonal gasoline than the RVP.
There are other changes to Summer fuel - which also make it more expensive!

Going from one 5-30 to another 5-30 and getting a full MPG increase has other factors, IMO.

Like what? I test gasoline here all year round at the terminal i work at and the ONLY thing that changes is the RVP.

They blend a bit of butane in the winter months. Butane is cheaper, hence the lower price. One reason for higher prices in summer gas is that they add oxygenates(and not much butane) to it to help lower the RVP. Im aware of different refineries doing different things to achieve their different blends all through the year. Im interested in what else they add to or change in the gas to make it comply with the 'summer' and 'winter' blends.

I'm noting a bit of improvement too, and I wasn't aware that the Swamp got "winter blends" of fuel. Possibly it does, and we're now on the summer stuff; possibly it's the warmer weather (I haven't started running the A/C yet); but I got 220 miles out of what the gas gauge tells me is half a tank, whereas a month ago I was lucky to get 200. (Very rough observation.)

The issue about what goes in seasonal gasoline was recently brought up around here due to the price increases. [papers and press]

The oil company's responses was that it was due to the summer additives. Maybe [censored], but the copycat/all the same news channels repeated this over and over.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The issue about what goes in seasonal gasoline was recently brought up around here due to the price increases. [papers and press]

The oil company's responses was that it was due to the summer additives. Maybe [censored], but the copycat/all the same news channels repeated this over and over.

Its really somewhat true. The stuff they put in for winter is butane. then it gets waaay toned down and is replaced by oxygenates which are more expensive. In reality the cost to the oil companies is minimal, but it IS a difference. There are many other factors that have an effect on summer and winter blends. Are they scamming us? More than likely, but show me a huge corp. that isnt on some level...

So you somehow measured accurately a 1mpg increase and that increase came from a new oil of the same weight as the old oil?

How many tanks of gas have you put through it with the new oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back